U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating from Phoenix to San Antonio area, seeking small town feel neighborhood, house between 400 500k, areas to look at during weekend visit

Old 03-15-2007, 12:24 AM

4 posts, read 11,078 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone --

My family is currently in the midst of doing research on several states/cities for relocation. San Antonio is high up on the list and we'll be taking a short notice visit there this weekend! I only just found out today and I'm very nervous about the best way to get around to look at the area for relocation. We will most definitely go back again if we like it at all so this is just a look around and see what it's like sort of trip:-)

Here are the particulars:

Arrive Friday
Depart Tues
Would like to fit in at least a walk on the Riverwalk during the looksee!

Some of the places we've found on this forum that seem interesting are:
Bulverde, New Braunfels, Canyon Lake, Spring Beach. Medina Lake, Spring Branch, Blanco, Boerne, Frederiksberg, Kerrville, Schertz & Cibolo, Castroville, Hondo and LaCoste.

Also these were some others I saw: Olmos Park, Monte Vista, Terrell Hills, Alamo Heights

Can you suggest the best/easiest kind of route we might take to drive through some of these places to get a feel for what's available? We get in on Friday early and we were thinking of staying in San Antonio on Friday night and playing tourist and then heading out on Saturday and coming back to San Antonio late Monday maybe. So where would it be good to stay while we're out looking? I know this is a lot to ask so I thank you so much in advance for any suggestions you have.

This whole move thing is daunting, really. And scary! Of course your tornadoes scare us more! But the cost of living is so good....it's hard to resist!

Are we missing anything you think we should cover???

What we're looking for with relocation/ real estate:

We know we don't want to live in San Antonio proper so not the downtown city. We're relocating from Phoenix and the reason we're leaving this area (besides the fact it's god awful!) is the conjestion. In fact, one of the things we're afraid of is that San Antonio will be too big! We're tired of the rat race here and we're looking for a calmer existence... The traffic in Phoenix has gotten so scary we don't even like to drive here anymore. And to be honest, we're a bit nervous about flying in and finding our way around there. But with all that said, here are some things important to us:

A smaller town feel but close enough to amenities not to have to drive forever.

Safe, safe, safe!!! We've had enough crime here to last a lifetime. Every newscast is terrifying! So crime (or lack thereof) is important.

Friendly people, neighbors

A fairly easy drive to the airport because we like to travel (although only a few times a year so it doesn't have to be right next door)

No kids and no commuting so those are mute points. We'll certainly visit the city for recreational/cultural things but we can do it on our own time/schedule so rush hour or what not isn't an issue.

Houses between 400-500k. If a house had a guest house or apartment already built, we can go higher because my daughter is thinking about building on our property and she could contribute. But if it's just us, 400-500 would be about right. My daughter would be looking in the 200-250k range if she were buying a single family property. Best case we would like to live fairly close to her.

Peaceful, green, trees, not too many strip malls. Where we live presently, there are strip malls EVERYWHERE we look. It's awful. We originally came from the Monterey Peninsula in California so Phoenix just looks bloody ugly to us. I realize Texas isn't going to be as green as some places, but it seems to have everything else and it's certainly more beautiful than AZ as far as I can tell. But the more trees and green the better.

As far as houses, etc., custom on a little land would be great but I don't know if what we can spend will buy anything custom. I would LOVE not to have to buy a cookie cutter tract home (we have one now in AZ) but if it's a beautiful cookie cutter home I suppose we will live:-) The main thing is breathing room... I don't want to look at my neighbor's bathroom window in other words.

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Armatur; 03-15-2007 at 12:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 12:27 AM

283 posts, read 1,722,918 times
Stone Oak......

Old 03-15-2007, 12:58 AM

2,651 posts, read 6,505,235 times
Yeah Stone Oak would be the exact opposite you are looking for! Strip malls and houses as far as the eye can see, along with killer street congestion and stop lights on highways. For the kind of money you are looking to drop you could easily find a house in Alamo Heights, or Terrell Hills. Living in San Antonio proper isn't that bad, most of San Antonio proper is suburban post 1950's. San Antonio is relativly decentralized and each part of town has it's own amenaties. Since you are flying into town the airport is on the north central side of town. You can make the circuit on I-10 north to boerne and take highway 46 east and it will pass through buleverde, canyon lake and new Braunfels. Take I-35 south to cibolo/schertz and take a look see there. That should fill up a day. Second day take a trip down US 281 to Downtown San Antonio and play tourist, come back up Broadway. After passing Hildebrant you are in Alamo Heights, if you decide to venture a little more to the East you will be in Terrel Hills, look for streets called morningside dr. and Elizabeth. go back to broadway and that should finish up your second, after that explore as needed. Fredricksburgh, Kerrville, Blanco are several hours out of town and would probably not suit your needs. Make sure you get a current and up to date map! Mapsco make great ones!

Old 03-15-2007, 01:09 AM

546 posts, read 2,819,839 times
Hmm, 400-500K with "a smaller town feel but close enough to amenities not to have to drive forever?" Sounds like Alamo Heights or Terrell Hills to me...smuboy86 speaketh the truth. Amen.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:02 AM

483 posts, read 1,424,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armatur View Post
What we're looking for with relocation/ real estate:

A smaller town feel but close enough to amenities not to have to drive forever.

Safe, safe, safe!!! We've had enough crime here to last a lifetime. Every newscast is terrifying! So crime (or lack thereof) is important.

Friendly people, neighbors

A fairly easy drive to the airport because we like to travel (although only a few times a year so it doesn't have to be right next door)
From the way you described that, I'd swear you've been to SA before In addition to the directions stated above (which look very good to me), i'd also suggest making the trip on 1604 to Northwest SA and Helotus (which is outside of SA proper). I have some friends that live up north of there close to Grey Forest. They have lots of nice houses up there that might be up your alley.

After that, take hwy 16 back into the city through Leon Valley. This will give you a good idea of what amenities you can expect to see and what the congestion in SA is like (Bandera Rd./16 is so busy they've been talking about building an elevated toll road). Alternately, you can take 1604 farther south to 151 around Sea World. There's alot of growth and new subdivisions around there, and shopping centers popping up right and left to accomodate them.

If you don't mind an hour's drive northwest on I-10, Kerrville is where my parents live and it's a very nice and quiet (though steadily growing) town of about 25-30k nestled up in the hills.

Good luck!

Old 03-15-2007, 05:54 PM

4 posts, read 11,078 times
Thanks so much guys for all of the good information!! I really appreciate it. So I have one more question for you

We made reservations at about the only place we could find for Friday night at the Holiday Inn Express Downtown on 524 S. St. Mary's Street.

Can you tell me if we leave the airport and go directly to check out Alamo Heights and Terrell Hills, the best way to get there and then get to the hotel?

The hotel address doesn't show up on the Google maps, unfortunately. It looks like we can take Broadway from the airport to Alamo Heights but not sure...

I guess we'll head out to Boerne etc. on Saturday morning but I figure we might as well do as much as we can!

Again, thank you so much!

Old 03-15-2007, 06:08 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,208,879 times
As you leave the airport, go south on 281 ( McAllister Freeway) past the Quarry Strip Mall, exit on Hildebrand. Turn left. On the left is Incarnate Word University, on the right will be the zoo and Brackenridge Park.
At the corner of Broadway and Hildebrand, turn left. About 1/2 mile on Broadway, you are in Alamo Heights.
From what you are describing, you will be happiest in Alamo Heights or Terrill Hills. Both are incorporated cities inside of SA. They are next to each other, the seperation street is North New Braunfels Avenue.
Check several properties on Burr Road, and Elizabeth. TH and AH are both old money, old( not in a negative sense) non- cookie cutter houses, very safe, quiet and close to everything downtown and the airport.
If possible I would contact a realtor to give you a list of avaiable houses in your price and desire for amenaties.
Living close to downtown for me means I am close to the airport, downtown activities and no long congested traffic commutes.
I've even taken the bus downtown to events just to avoid parking and it's nice to have a big blue limo that only costs a dollar each way and big windows for the view.
Good luck in your quick trip. I'm sure you will love SA. No red clay!!!!!

Old 03-16-2007, 09:48 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,734,351 times
Hey Armatur, in case you still have internet access on your trip, thought I'd second Shane's post! Alamo Heights and Terrell Hills are fantastic places! (I would add Olmos Park to the list as well.) Very close to anything and everything you could want, "small town" atmosphere, and traffic is much better than if you lived outside of town. I'm originally from Phx and family is still there, so I can understand your concern about congestion in the "city", but in SA it's kinda the opposite. Traffic seems to be much better in the city core. I'd move there in a heartbeat if we could find a large enough house in our budget! And he's also right that you should contact a local Realtor if you can. Sometimes those areas can use a little "inside information" to be able to get just the right house for you. Feel free to PM me if you need recomendations, I'm acquainted with quite a few of the major players for that area.

Keep us posted and let us know what you think!

Old 03-16-2007, 09:55 AM

283 posts, read 1,722,918 times
Stone Oak.

Schertz

Cibolo

New Braunfels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio