U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:13 PM

3,705 posts, read 5,073,748 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a rough area of SA before I moved to the peace and tranquility of Cibolo. I moved back to SA for personal family reasons and I now I live in what many on this board have referred to as "ghetto" and a "bad part of town." (All right...straight up I live in the hood)

But since moving here I have never, not once had any kind of violent issue with any of the homeboys around here, I have never not once had any of my property vandalized or stolen, never not once has my car been broken into, my significant other hasnt been raped or kidnapped either, my car is still in its driveway, and I keep my windows open at nite, I dont have any motion dectectors (though I do have a big dog), no gun in this house either, and despite all that.... I AINT SCARED. From day one we (as in my family) put it out there when all LA Raza came outside to see who was moving into the big two story house, that we AREN'T AFRAID, intimidated or otherwise scared to be living in this neighborhood. Im not saying we are having barbeques with the neighbors, but there is this unspoken mutual respect. You dont mess with me and Im not going to mess with you. IF (and thats a BIG IF) something were to happen, we are prepared. Our guard is up, we know our surroundings, we are aware of what goes on around here. The best thing anyone can do to be prepared is to never let people know you are afraid, and let them know you know whats up.

The way some people have posted on here, I really thought they were joking or being sarcastic, but then I realized they are serious! If you create this sense of heightened unecessary fear, people become anxious and overzealous. I think CR1039 mentioned that alot of crime is because of who someone is associating themselves with. I couldnt agree with that more. I think that if you see, hear, or know something isnt right then you do as a law abiding citizen have an obligation to contact the authorities but you dont necessarily have to get in the middle of things. Theres a difference.

I find it almost comical that so many posters live in what is supposed to be the "nice part of town" and have had so many problems with crime. Here me and my family live in this supposed "ghetto" and we have never had issues.

Good luck to the OP ....Take all the comments with a grain of salt and see things for yourself to make your own informed decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 11:26 PM

15,921 posts, read 4,756,032 times
Umm where do I get a licence to carry a concealed breakfast taco??

Old 02-09-2009, 11:29 PM

3,705 posts, read 5,073,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Umm where do I get a licence to carry a concealed breakfast taco??
I believe at any Taqueria location... there are approximately 375 serving the greater San Antonio area.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:36 PM

3,095 posts, read 4,072,461 times
Every city, whether it be San Antonio or New York City, has its pockets of good and bad, gang activity and no gang activity.

It's give and take. I work on the west side, in an area that, based on that map that Bowie posted, is pretty high risk. And things that have not happened where I live (closer to 1604 and 10) have happened there. Our office has broken into, and there some kind of robbery down the street... but I can count on my hand how many times bad things have happened. If you are looking for bad things, you have a preconceived notion about the area, then you'll find them. But, I drive to work everyday, look at the murals I drive past and think about the other good things about the area, the families, the houses, the amazing breakfast tacos I get...etc.

But, then again, things that haven't happened by the office have happened by my house. On Friday two elementary schools were on lock down because of a house robbery (due to drugs!). Holy cow! That scared me! But does that make me want to get up and move? Probably not, because I know that is isolated, just like the robbery at the office, and the one disturbance.

I mean, sociologically speaking, you're never going to have a 0% crime rate. Just choose carefully. And consider other things as well. Where are you working? What are your family needs? Your budget? etc?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:49 PM

10,442 posts, read 10,181,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
According to City-Data statistics, this city does not break the top 101 cities with highest murder rates for every 10,000 people:
http://www.city-data.com/top2/c416.html
http://www.city-data.com/top2/c417.html
Ignore those stats,
the stats should be done for "Metropolitan area"
St. Louis and East St. Louis are great examples of that.

The city of San Antonio is almost all of the metropolitan area of San Antonio (poor areas, middle class areas, nice areas)
The metropolitan area of St. Louis is made up of more than 30 cities. The city of St. Louis is just the downtown, and East St. Louis is the ghetto (yes it is) across the river.

You can't compare East St. Louis, IL (a ghetto) to San Antonio.
http://www.city-data.com/city/East-S...-Illinois.html
Population: 29,000
Median income: $25,293
Persons below poverty line: 35%
City-data crime index = 2392

Exactly 12 miles from there, you find Clayton, MO pop. 12,556.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Clayton-Missouri.html
Median income: $72,109
Persons below poverty line: 7.7%
City-data crime index = 162

Old 02-09-2009, 11:52 PM

11,000 posts, read 7,194,308 times
For anyone who isnt a "gangsta", and works and has nice cars and nice clothing and a decent job, going to the "ghetto" is not necessary if someone wants to get your stuff and leave with it. I guess what i'm saying is this, gangsters respect each other because they know that if they mess with a fellow brother from the gang theres going to be trouble. Its the law-abiding citizens that always get assaulted. Its them that need the gun and the lock.
They deserve to feel safe in their own homes.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:55 PM

3,542 posts, read 5,635,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Ignore those stats,
the stats should be done for "Metropolitan area"
St. Louis and East St. Louis are great examples of that.

The city of San Antonio is almost all of the metropolitan area of San Antonio (poor areas, middle class areas, nice areas)
The metropolitan area of St. Louis is made up of more than 30 cities. The city of St. Louis is just the downtown, and East St. Louis is the ghetto (yes it is) across the river.

You can't compare East St. Louis, IL (a ghetto) to San Antonio.
http://www.city-data.com/city/East-S...-Illinois.html
Population: 29,000
Median income: $25,293
Persons below poverty line: 35%
City-data crime index = 2392

Exactly 12 miles from there, you find Clayton, MO pop. 12,556.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Clayton-Missouri.html
Median income: $72,109
Persons below poverty line: 7.7%
City-data crime index = 162
Well then according to your argument, we should split the data per neighborhood and not per city. That would be nice if it were done that way, but I'd feel really bad for the statisticians that would have to tabulate all that.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:24 AM

452 posts, read 657,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
gangsters respect each other because they know that if they mess with a fellow brother from the gang theres going to be trouble.
Where do you get the idea that gangsters respect each other? It is the whole "honor among thieves" mentality? If they did respect each other, there would be no gang killings.

I agree that everyone should feel safe in their own homes and, if that means owning a gun, then so be it.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:26 AM

1,131 posts, read 829,290 times
1.4 million people and 117 murders.

Not many cities with that population with that low of a murder rate.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:41 AM

1,131 posts, read 829,290 times
Here's the bottomline:

In 2007, per 100,000 people, the crime stacked up like this for these cities:

San Antonio:

For every 100,000 people there were:

9 Murders
186 Robberies
556 Violent crimes

Phoenix

14 Murders
321 Robberies
724 Violent crimes

Minneapolis

13 Murders
679 Robberies
1,503 Violent Crimes

San Francisco

14 Murders
514 Robberies
874 Violent crimes

Indianapolis

14 Murders
507 Robberies
1,234 Violent crimes

Fort Worth

9 Murders
247 Robberies
667 Violent crimes

Dallas

16 Murders
583 Robberies
1,069 Violent Crimes

Denver

8 Murders
182 Robberies
619 Violent crimes

Sacramento

10 Murders
436 Robberies
1,113 Violent crimes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio