Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:37 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,743,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
But the beauty of my situation is that I make more every year because I'm good at what I do. The economy really doesn't affect me because when it's slow, more Realtors go out of business, thus much less competition. I'm going to make a good living regardless. It's the same in any business. The good ones make a great living in a slower market.

What I meant by slower but strong was that we stagnated in value, but didn't really drop. Some places continued to go up a little. Overall sales were down slightly, but they were down compared to all time highs.

I'm thinking that to turn the housing market around the National Association of Realtors should buy time advertising how amazingly awesome a KB 4-sides brick house is that that everyone should own one. Then we should speak about it at every single opportunity possible.
I didn't bring up four sides anything!!! We are talking about the economy here. That comments brings nothing of value to this conversation. We are seeing values drop in communities around the north central area...so I beg to differ. Just look at the home sales in San Antonio...for houses to move the prices are coming down. Foreclosures are on the rise in Bexar County - further pushing prices down. And the AT&T move has also hurt the over $400K house range.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. I'm glad you are making money in this economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 07:41 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
We're seeing asking prices drop, but sales prices are not below what they were a few years ago. THAT'S when values drop.

You try to paint me as a shill for the industry, when in fact I just point out facts. My point was that I don't NEED the industry to be good to make money, so I don't have to paint a rosy picture for people. I speak about things I know.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:48 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
I have to laugh..."slower yes, but still strong" What does that mean?

Expensive, but cheap... Ugly but beautiful... fast but slow... Roseanne but Scarlett Johansson...
Considering your examples are all opposite related, expensive being the opposite of cheap, fast the opposite of slow, etc, slower is not the opposite of strong so your post makes no sense.

You can have a slower market but still a strong market.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
We're seeing asking prices drop, but sales prices are not below what they were a few years ago. THAT'S when values drop.

You try to paint me as a shill for the industry, when in fact I just point out facts. My point was that I don't NEED the industry to be good to make money, so I don't have to paint a rosy picture for people. I speak about things I know.
Facts:
- Dramatic drop in auto sales (never before seen % drop)
- Circuit City Bankrupt
- Linnens and Things Bankrupt
- WaMu - failed
- Wachovia - nearly failed sold to WF
- Country on the verge of bank nationalization
- Foreclosures at record levels across the nation (including Bexar County)
- Unemployment numbers climbing at record numbers
- Unknown long term impact to reckless government spending now in the Trillions of dollars as they try to bailout our economy.
- Bank failures going at the rate of one per week in 2009.
- property values dropping at record levels all over the country - look at the case/shiller index! Property Qwest Blog - Real Estate News, Economics, and Housing Data: S&P Case-Shiller Housing Price Index - January 2009

How can you spin these facts and sum them up as just election year issues impacting the housing market. I understand that election years traditionally have economic jitters as new administrations take office...but to throw that out as the underlying reason when folks question the underlying strength of our local/national housing market...is irresponsible.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Considering your examples are all opposite related, expensive being the opposite of cheap, fast the opposite of slow, etc, slower is not the opposite of strong so your post makes no sense.

You can have a slower market but still a strong market.
OK...

Property Qwest Blog - Real Estate News, Economics, and Housing Data: S&P Case-Shiller Housing Price Index - January 2009

Old 02-08-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Facts:
- Dramatic drop in auto sales (never before seen % drop)
- Circuit City Bankrupt
- Linnens and Things Bankrupt
- WaMu - failed
- Wachovia - nearly failed sold to WF
- Country on the verge of bank nationalization
- Foreclosures at record levels across the nation (including Bexar County)
- Unemployment numbers climbing at record numbers
- Unknown long term impact to reckless government spending now in the Trillions of dollars as they try to bailout our economy.
- Bank failures going at the rate of one per week in 2009.
- property values dropping at record levels all over the country - look at the case/shiller index! Property Qwest Blog - Real Estate News, Economics, and Housing Data: S&P Case-Shiller Housing Price Index - January 2009

How can you spin these facts and sum them up as just election year issues impacting the housing market. I understand that election years traditionally have economic jitters as new administrations take office...but to throw that out as the underlying reason when folks question the underlying strength of our local/national housing market...is irresponsible.
I didn't say the election was the SOLE issue. I said that even if your little list above didn't exist right now, it'd still have been slow at election time.

You're hearing what you want to hear. I think we probably both agree that the economy isn't in great shape, but my point apparently isn't penetrating through the brick siding on your house into your computer, so I'll end the conversation here.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:59 PM

And using someone's blog to get "facts" is like using wikipedia.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
And using someone's blog to get "facts" is like using wikipedia.
The blog I used was a nice summary...but here is the hard link...

http://www2.standardandpoors.com/spf...ase_012724.pdf

Old 02-08-2009, 08:13 PM

616 posts, read 2,082,908 times
Quote:
And the AT&T move has also hurt the over $400K house range.
This is the absolute gospel truth. There is not a man more disliked in Olmos Park right now than Randall Stephenson. People are even angrier than when Bart Koontz tried to shut down the San Antonio Gun Club. Stephenson's house, by the way, saw its price cut by a hundred grand this month. Word is that the relo company is going to keep slashing by 50K and 100K until it sells.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 PM

434 posts, read 1,123,312 times
"But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here." 2 Timothy 3:1......Interesting thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio