Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:54 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times

Advertisements

Guys, restaurants are businesses and have to compete like any other industry. If one is lacking customers, there is a reason for it. I don't think any good restaurant will suffer in this town (3rd fattest in the country); but those who don't stand out above the others do have the potential to fail! One perfect example is the number of taquerías that pop up then disappear, unless you are offering something different than no one is going to notice!

It also brings out a good point that was mentioned in an article I was reading yesterday on the Five Things Missing in the Stimulus Plan...are we suppose to spend our money or save it? As mentioned in the article, Americans have been dreadfully irresponsible, spending more money than we earn, borrowing the difference, and saving practically nothing. But that is what lead us to the current economic dilemma. So, the article asks, what do we do now?

The savings rate has finally gone up a little bit, partly because nobody will lend money for cars or homes, so the bank suddenly looks like a reasonable place to put our cash. That's good, according to the article. But wait--that's bad, because the policymakes keep saying it will take consumer spending to revive the economy, and if you're saving you're not spending! So is it suddenly our civic duty to stop saving and start spending, or the other way around?

This ties in to restaurants as eating out is one of the first things people cut back on when money troubles arise. That effect, of course, is felt by the restaurants; a huge industry in the Alamo city. To survive, they must become more competitive for the dwindling customer base, and those who cannot keep up will fall to the wayside. Simple economics.

But, all that said, I noticed the other day that the economic downturn--although not as severe in San Antonio as it is in other places, but is still being felt--hasn't stopped many from eating out here. Friday evenings it is hard to find some place decent to eat that isn't packed the gills. There are other places that aren't so, but who wants to eat there?

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 12:29 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,269 times
Default burgers better home or out?

[quote=Chaka;7396472]Interesting. I've cut back on eating out in the past couple of years, but that's really the low-end places - places with burgers/grub. The kind of st I can easily do myself, I find eating out for that a waste of money. Instead when I eat out, it tends to be at the higher end places where I go for the whole experience.
QUOTE]

That is our families theory on steaks. We have them at home because we can fix them better then going out. Seems SA LOVES Pepper and more Pepper on thier steaks where in mom and I love the tast of the meat with just a little seasoning. Plus getting 3 good tasting steaks for 10-15 dollars in stead of paying 10 bucks or more per steak meal or more plus tip doesn't suite us.

When we eat out we tend to vary our food. Today we did Subway, yesterday was chinese who knows what tomorrow will bring. Every friday we dine with my sister normally some place like Carinos or Alamo Cafe or the like. What normally stops me from going to certain places is distance. I don't want to go to the other side of town for a good tagine meal when I can make a half way decent meal myself if I try.

We have been noticing more and more shoppers at HEB when we go so I am thinking most people are finding home cooking is cheaper on the budget then constantly dining out.

Sad to think that SA eaters are having to bipass good local restuarants for McD's. Too bad still all the good ethnic variety cafe's and eateries are on the other end of town or I would be hiting those places as well. Greek, Indian, Mediteranian, etc. Nothing on this side of town. Heck our best Pizza place is Ceasars Pizza. Not saying much.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:29 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
I have to agree with Kev....10pm is late for fine dining like Biga offers. The younger crowds don't even go out until 10pm.....and they head for clubs...not restaurants.

And I agree with the mid range restaurants being in more jeopardy than higher end. It's sort of like real estate. If you have a lot of similar houses (tract type homes) in the same neighborhood that all look sort of alike, they won't sell as quickly as a nicer home that is more unique or custom. Any restaurant needs to stand out with something awesome to offer....but it has to be at the right price point for the owner as well. It IS a business...and it takes good customer service and good marketing like any other business.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:31 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,269 times
[quote=But, all that said, I noticed the other day that the economic downturn--although not as severe in San Antonio as it is in other places, but is still being felt--hasn't stopped many from eating out here. Friday evenings it is hard to find some place decent to eat that isn't packed the gills. There are other places that aren't so, but who wants to eat there?

Cheers! M2[/QUOTE]

HERE HERE!! well said!

Old 02-10-2009, 03:16 PM

348 posts, read 1,222,486 times
I found this thread interesting because I have noticed a slowdown in traffic. I noticed this trend around October/Nov of last year.

Just the other week, I was talking to the restaurant manager of a popular "grill" and asked how business has been. He said if they have another bad month, they will have to close. I don't know how severe his situation really is but here is how things are impacting me.

My job requires me to take clients out to dinner 2-3 times a week, host programs, sponsor conferences etc. I am required to maximize my Quarterly budget of 8K on these events (it was 15K per Qtr last year).

Things have changed. My industry is going through MASSIVE lay-offs and my budget has been cut to less than HALF!

Several restaurant managers and caterers have asked me what is going on, why I am no longer booking private party rooms or seeing me as often.

You see, it's not just contained to my company, this is happening throughout the whole sector. Another hurdle is my industry has adopted stricter guidelines to regulate entertainment so I have to make sure to adhere to the rules and red-tape.

My husband and sister work in the finance and insurance industry and they too, have had their budgets cut. "No useless spending" and "must be able to justify the expense" are common buzz-words in management.

So from my viewpoint, restaurants are getting hit from both ends. A reduction in sales from corporate clients and from families that are trying to reduce spending. I do not know how long this will continue but I know I'm no longer be able to "stimulate" and contribute via the "corporate AMEX."

Old 02-10-2009, 03:23 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTexan View Post
I found this thread interesting because I have noticed a slowdown in traffic. I noticed this trend around October/Nov of last year.

Just the other week, I was talking to the restaurant manager of a popular "grill" and asked how business has been. He said if they have another bad month, they will have to close. I don't know how severe his situation really is but here is how things are impacting me.

My job requires me to take clients out to dinner 2-3 times a week, host programs, sponsor conferences etc. I am required to maximize my Quarterly budget of 8K on these events (it was 15K per Qtr last year).

Things have changed. My industry is going through MASSIVE lay-offs and my budget has been cut to less than HALF!

Several restaurant managers and caterers have asked me what is going on, why I am no longer booking private party rooms or seeing me as often.

You see, it's not just contained to my company, this is happening throughout the whole sector. Another hurdle is my industry has adopted stricter guidelines to regulate entertainment so I have to make sure to adhere to the rules and red-tape.

My husband and sister work in the finance and insurance industry and they too, have had their budgets cut. "No useless spending" and "must be able to justify the expense" are common buzz-words in management.

So from my viewpoint, restaurants are getting hit from both ends. A reduction in sales from corporate clients and from families that are trying to reduce spending. I do not know how long this will continue but I know I'm no longer be able to "stimulate" and contribute via the "corporate AMEX."

good post. I didn't even think about that. Our company is cutting back on "entertainment" expenses too.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:42 PM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,598,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTexan View Post

pharma sales?

I agree with a lot of what you said in your post. Unfortunately, I don't see much changing either. At least not any time soon.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Guys, restaurants are businesses and have to compete like any other industry. If one is lacking customers, there is a reason for it. I don't think any good restaurant will suffer in this town (3rd fattest in the country); but those who don't stand out above the others do have the potential to fail! One perfect example is the number of taquerías that pop up then disappear, unless you are offering something different than no one is going to notice!
The place I was talking about above has been cited as a favorite of other members here, so it's not like it's a dying hole-in-the-wall establishment. I think many more people than just me would be sorry to see that restaurant disappear from the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio