Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:26 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,735,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
The study is only on new housing they did not change any numbers.
How can you (or Metro Study, WOAI or the Chamber of Commerce) dismiss the fact that values dropped 5.5% in San Antonio last year, that inventory is up dramatically over the past two years and that time on market for existing homes is ever longer and that the global economy is in an every accelerating tailspin?

You could take a sick person and only focus on one aspect of their being and say they are healthy...but that doesn't mean they are. Magic Johnson has HIV...but if you were to interview him and say that based on the smile on his face - he is a healthy guy. Does he have a nice smile? Yes. Is he healthy? No!! Same with this flawed report. You are hanging your hat on something that quite frankly is meaningless without taking into account the full picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 10:05 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,988,654 times
Well if magic Jonson was one of the healthiest people in the population and you did not have anything healthier to compare on might suggest that he was healthy.

It is pretty easy to see. San Antonio has one of the strongest NEW housing markets in the country. According to your post earlier over all it is in the top 40th percentile. (refer to post 6)

Old 02-13-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Well if magic Jonson was one of the healthiest people in the population and you did not have anything healthier to compare on might suggest that he was healthy.

It is pretty easy to see. San Antonio has one of the strongest NEW housing markets in the country. According to your post earlier over all it is in the top 40th percentile. (refer to post 6)
But the guy still has a terminal illness!!!! How can you ignore that? Same with the housing market...how can you ignore ballooning home inventory and dropping home prices?

http://www.housingtracker.net/asking...as/SanAntonio/

http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/12/real...ion=2009021212

And tied for 60th spot on that list is not a strong market. Barely above average. By the way, you started and labled this thread as one of the Strongest Housing Markets. When I suggested you modify it to reflect "New" housing markets you refused.

Personally I think you started this thread so you could drive home a point that the broader statistics do not support. On a related thread (Current SA Housing Market) you had a difficult time stomaching anyone that disagreed with you on this very point. This isn't personal - but I do think you need to consider the entire picture here. You are hanging on to one very small slice of the real estate pie when clearly that rest of the data shows differently.

Also - you are not even out of school yet. I doubt you have personally owned real estate, nor have you lived through an economic down turn of this magnitude nor are you old enough to remember what the last housing crisis her in Texas looked like. This will (and already is) be nothing like the dot come bubble. The best advice I could give you is that you take the opportunity while still in school to watch this crisis unfold and learn from it - both as you chart the course of your career and as you shape your thoughts and ideals about our personal life. I am not criticizing your opinions - but I do think you are taking a very narrow view of the facts here - taking facts you like and ignoring ones you don't. That is not healthy, for you or anyone else on this thread.

But at the end of the day you are entitled to your opinion.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:44 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,096,003 times
San Antonio and Texas have a strong real estate market period! Ranking 60 with places you never heard of doesnt mean squat! I work in the foreclosure dept for one of the largest banks in the nation and you rarely see any San Antonio foreclosures compared to other cities/states. San Antonio has slowed a bit but it is picking up. Many of my family are in real estate and they have felt a decline but they say it's picking back up. San Antonio and Texas have been pretty much been insulated compared to the rest of the country. San Antonio is a strong market across th board.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:50 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,002,196 times
It can't be that strong. We were going to move to SA about 6 months ago and went and picked a house with a major builder in Stone Oak and put down earnest money. When we saw that our house in Austin wasn't going to sell, we canceled our contract.

I got an email from the sales guy a few weeks ago offering an additional $30K in free upgrades (on top of the $30K kitchen upgrade they were already offering 6 months ago) if we would reconsider building. Strong markets don't have to use carrots that size.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio and Texas have a strong real estate market period! Ranking 60 with places you never heard of doesnt mean squat! I work in the foreclosure dept for one of the largest banks in the nation and you rarely see any San Antonio foreclosures compared to other cities/states. San Antonio has slowed a bit but it is picking up. Many of my family are in real estate and they have felt a decline but they say it's picking back up. San Antonio and Texas have been pretty much been insulated compared to the rest of the country. San Antonio is a strong market across th board.
Ok...

TEXAS FORECLOSURE ACTIVITY UP 14 PERCENT IN 2008

Old 02-13-2009, 08:33 AM

4,147 posts, read 7,988,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
But the guy still has a terminal illness!!!! How can you ignore that? Same with the housing market...how can you ignore ballooning home inventory and dropping home prices?

HousingTracker.net: Median Home Asking Price & Inventory Data for San Antonio, Texas

Home price declines deepen - Feb. 12, 2009

And tied for 60th spot on that list is not a strong market. Barely above average. By the way, you started and labled this thread as one of the Strongest Housing Markets. When I suggested you modify it to reflect "New" housing markets you refused.

Personally I think you started this thread so you could drive home a point that the broader statistics do not support. On a related thread (Current SA Housing Market) you had a difficult time stomaching anyone that disagreed with you on this very point. This isn't personal - but I do think you need to consider the entire picture here. You are hanging on to one very small slice of the real estate pie when clearly that rest of the data shows differently.

Also - you are not even out of school yet. I doubt you have personally owned real estate, nor have you lived through an economic down turn of this magnitude nor are you old enough to remember what the last housing crisis her in Texas looked like. This will (and already is) be nothing like the dot come bubble. The best advice I could give you is that you take the opportunity while still in school to watch this crisis unfold and learn from it - both as you chart the course of your career and as you shape your thoughts and ideals about our personal life. I am not criticizing your opinions - but I do think you are taking a very narrow view of the facts here - taking facts you like and ignoring ones you don't. That is not healthy, for you or anyone else on this thread.

But at the end of the day you are entitled to your opinion.

I'd call it a strong market if it is above average and the new home inventory it second best in the nation.

As for this line not at all. There is a moderator that thought I was using a tone.

You are the one that as a hard time seeing that people have different opinions. I did not change the title because that was the title of the article. Not to mention your statics show the market getting worse but is is still doing better that 60% of all other metros and again on of the best NEW home markets.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:17 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,336,853 times
I didn't read every word for word on each post here.....but it seems one of you is comparing current stats in SA to other metro areas....and the other is comparing current stats in SA to PAST stats in SA. And then I got totally confused to what you all are comparing at all .......

Old 02-13-2009, 10:12 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,829,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I didn't read every word for word on each post here.....but it seems one of you is comparing current stats in SA to other metro areas....and the other is comparing current stats in SA to PAST stats in SA. And then I got totally confused to what you all are comparing at all .......
No kidding!
I think these two (or three or four?) should all go meet over a few adult beverages and sort this all out amongst themselves. I've gotten nothing of value out of this thread or the other two similar threads! I only kept coming back to them because I am trying to sell my house and was hoping for some insight into the pricing strategies!!
All I got was a headache!

Old 02-15-2009, 12:30 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,096,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post

Texas is being affected now but not on the same level as other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio