Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 01:09 PM

410 posts, read 920,895 times

Advertisements

Are realtors the only way one can gain access to comps for a given area? Aren't there businesses that charge a subscription fee for unlimited access to the same service? Or better yet, are there public records that reflect the actual sold price for a property? Thank you each and every one who have responded to my posts. As you can tell, I'm a novice making an effort to learn more as I go. Enjoy your day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,008,209 times
Most of the data you'd need to see the prices on nearby sales is listed in the property tax records at Bexar Appraisal District

Look for "Property Search" on that site.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:55 PM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,594,955 times
texas is a non-disclosure state - so there is no fail safe way to know what a home sold for once it sells. Most deeds only report "good and valuable consideration" often related to some nominal amount (like $10).

sometimes the numbers on BCAD are accurate, but other times they are not.

My neighbors house sold about a month ago. The BCAD number was about 15k more than what he got for it.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:00 PM

85 posts, read 200,420 times
While Texas is a non-disclosure state, most sales prices are reported to the MLS. I don't know of any subscription service for this information; I think only realtors have access to it. I could be wrong on that part.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:31 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,671,078 times
I heard one good way to get comps is by becoming a real estate agent (but you don't actually have to do any selling..just take the tests, etc). Then you pay for access to a full featured MLS that will contain the comps. I could be wrong, though. This is good if you plan to do lots of buying/selling and are in it for the investment.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:41 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,534,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I heard one good way to get comps is by becoming a real estate agent (but you don't actually have to do any selling..just take the tests, etc). Then you pay for access to a full featured MLS that will contain the comps. I could be wrong, though. This is good if you plan to do lots of buying/selling and are in it for the investment.
You're right Nick! And it'll only cost somebody about $800-1000 to go thru the classes, upward of close to $300 for the various tests/licensing fees, and then a lowly $450/yr in Realtor dues, and $600/yr in MLS subscription fees. Oh yeah, forgot the yearly SAE, count on another $100-150 year for that. What a deal! (So if someone is doing a lot of RE investing, it could be beneficial.)

I think that people often times don't realize that the reason that Realtors have access to that type of information is because they PAY for it.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:53 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,402,557 times
I need to look at my bills, because I swear I'm paying more than that!! We have dues for EVERYTHING. It's quite ridiculous, but on the same note, it helps to weed a lot of bad Realtors out.

You're not going to find true "sold" prices anywhere but on MLS. Even if you did get access to that, it's still not as easy as looking at the sold price and determining comps.

If you're looking to buy, just get a Realtor to represent you as a buyer. They sign a contract saying they'll represent your interests and it doesn't cost you a thing.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:59 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,671,078 times
Oh wow didn't know the fees were that much. Another reason why it's a good idea to develop a good relationship with a buyer's agent. Keep up the good work guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio