Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:21 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,974 times

Advertisements

they should try to bring it back. by adding the fresh farm to market concept
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 10:28 PM

452 posts, read 1,028,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Thanks but I was born and raised here. (except for a short stint in Phoenix) All I'm saying if they cant turn it around something needs to be down.

If you own a business you don't keep unprofitable departments because they are symbolic. Whether you sell it or shake up its management the status-quo can't be tolerated.
You may have been born and raised here, but you've obviously not learned to appreciate our city's rich history.

I did say that I agree with having a private entity manage it, but to sell it would be sacrilege and a sad, sad day for San Antonio. Historical landmarks are not businesses, nor should they be seen as such.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,002,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
You may have been born and raised here, but you've obviously not learned to appreciate our city's rich history.

I did say that I agree with having a private entity manage it, but to sell it would be sacrilege and a sad, sad day for San Antonio. Historical landmarks are not businesses, nor should they be seen as such.
I beg to differ. I'm not advocating the sale of this property. I'm saying something needs to be done about and selling could be a possibility. The river walk is huge part of our city and yet it is privately owned. The city can legislate what can be done with the prperty. I'm not sure why selling should not be an option.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
I beg to differ. I'm not advocating the sale of this property. I'm saying something needs to be done about and selling could be a possibility. The river walk is huge part of our city and yet it is privately owned. The city can legislate what can be done with the prperty. I'm not sure why selling should not be an option.
If you need an explanation as to why historical landmarks shouldn't be sold, then no explanation will suffice. We can agree to disagree.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:08 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
I found some really great stuff at Market Square for my wedding reception, but I also had to sift thru a lot of crap to find it. Market Square for the most part is a beautiful part of San Antonio, however ask me if I have been back to it since I found those items for my wedding? On the verge of sounding hypocritical, I think more locals who want to see landmarks such as Mkt Sq continue existing, they need to frequent and buy from those places. Its one of those, dont know what you have till its gone things. That being said, I think it is in need of a bit of restructuring and revitilization. Someone else mentioned poor customer serivce, subrate products etc...all those things I encountered the last time I visited. Lots of junky kitsch (spelling?) and rude vendors, it was exhausting because I knew what I was looking for I just had to get thru all the rubbish to get to it. I hope something can be done to perhaps bring back some of the original attraction it had in the beginning. Also, I noticed last year they are not open on Sundays...if that is still the case, I think that should be one of the first things to change! That was pretty annoying venturing out there one Sunday only to find the entire place closed!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:31 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,944 times
My opinion on this...If the city as a landlord is losing money on the property if they Cortez's have enough money to buy these properties from the city... the city is obviously not charging enough rent!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:43 AM

905 posts, read 2,959,750 times
perticusrex:Also, I noticed last year they are not open on Sundays...if that is still the case, I think that should be one of the first things to change! That was pretty annoying venturing out there one Sunday only to find the entire place closed!

No joke! Same thing happened to us. There were lots and lots of people down there and the building was locked up tight! Add that to the supposedly low rental fees and you can see why the property is not performing well.

Question: Was this planned so someone could buy it or just bad city management. Call it my 'all conspiracies theory' from listening to too much local talk radio in the past, but if one follows the money trail, it does make one wonder....

Old 02-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
In one of the columns in the Sunday Express-News, an heir to the family who gifted the land to the city believes that some language in the deed prevents the city from reselling the land. In any case, there don't seem to be any elected official who support the sale nor does the city manager, so the sale's a dead issue. Jaime Castillo's column in today's E-N seems to point the finger of blame at one of the assistant city managers, who reportedly approached the Cortez family about the deal without any input from the council.

I'd like to see the Market Square spruced up and made more upscale. It's a tourist attraction, yet it has a municipal feel to it. Professional management could help with that. It might also bring some variety to the merchants operating within the Square, most of which seem to be selling imported tschotchkes. Variety would make it more of a regular stop for local shoppers and that would be great for downtown.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:47 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
While the city may not be competent enough to manage these historic landmarks, selling them would be even worse! I can see turning management over to a private company, but, IMO, selling Market Square and La Villita would be like selling the heart and soul of the city. It may not mean much to someone who wasn't born and raised here or anyone who cannot appreciate our rich history, but those people are few and far between.
Hey, you don't have to be born and raised in San Antonio to appreciate the city! Heck, in some cases I think those who have moved here may have a greater appreciation for the place than many who who are originally from here!

And what's next, the Alamo? I don't think it can be making much money, since entry is free! These historic landmarks belong to everyone, and the city has no right to sell something that doesn't belong to them! They should have to put it to a vote before anything such as this is even considered!

Cheers! M2

Old 02-17-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Hey, you don't have to be born and raised in San Antonio to appreciate the city! Heck, in some cases I think those who have moved here may have a greater appreciation for the place than many who who are originally from here!

Cheers! M2
Hey, I did say "It may not mean much to someone who wasn't born and raised here OR anyone who cannot appreciate our rich history, but those people are few and far between."

What did you miss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio