U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:22 AM

21 posts, read 70,448 times

Advertisements

Tone, i agree with you. i would LOVE for SA to have a top notch aquarium, but it needs to be top notch, or not at all IMHO. if you havent been out here to Atlanta and seen the new aquarium i highly recommend you do so. its amazing! if SA was to do something along those lines then i think it would be another huge boom for downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 07:43 AM

142 posts, read 304,244 times
Default Old Architecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by js63 View Post
I'm an architecture nut, and I wish to heck locals would realize what great old architecture there is in SA, especially downtown, and start fixing it up. So much downtown looks abandoned.

Austin, where I live now, is going into overdrive trying to develop its downtown, and it doesn't have nearly the amount of cool old buildings that could be re-used. SA is sitting on a gold mine and doesn't even know it.
Actually, San Antonio is and has always been, acutely aware of the "gold mine" of old buildings it has. San Antonio has the oldest historic preservation organization in the country and the most powerful one at that. San Antonio is history.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:48 AM

Default Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Yeah and back when my mom was growing up they thought we would have floating cities, robots, and settlements on Mars by 1999. I think this proves that technology and economy isn't moving as fast as we think it is.

I'm counting on the year 2087 being basically the same as today with just a few technological advances and faster ways of doing things. But I don't see any a.i.'s or flying cars.
Barring wars, earthquakes or tornadoes, change is usually incremental and not always forward, either. In a way, San Antonio was lucky: while cities like Houston and Dallas were tearing down everything that looked old, we kept ours and now people come here to enjoy it. The eye craves detail and complexity and most very modern buildings just don't have that, although things are changing there too.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:55 AM

Default Flagship

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
So you only matter in the field of education if you are home to a flagship university? Give me a break.

Prime mover of the economy? Tourism is the fourth largest industry in SA. Funny enough it is larger than New Orleans (pre-Katrina as well as post) something like 8 billion for SA to 5 billion for New Orleans.

Tax breaks? You mean the ones we've dished out for Toyota, Microsoft, SBC (back in 92), etc.

And more nice golf courses? lol, ok.
It's easy to say "flagship university" but another matter entirely to get there. What we are talking about in a flagship university is the kind of university that attracts top tier researchers with top tier salaries who perform billions - yes, billions - of dollars of research. Right now, we aren't anywhere close to that and just repeating the mantra of "flagship, flagship, flagship" ain't gonna get us there. Hopefully, we will get there, but saying so isn't going to do it. And, there is plenty of education to do on our woefully under-educated population in the meantime.

We've got enough golf courses to strangle Phil Mickelson. Groups from Japan now fly in because we have so many and they're so inexpensive to play on. Golf courses do not a great city make.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:16 AM

2,260 posts, read 4,938,719 times
An aquarium? Really? Downtown? Why?

I personally think San Antonio needs to continue to focus on expanding the appeal of the Riverwalk, including preserving its historic buildings. I also think we need to get away from all the chain restaurants on the Riverwalk - we have plenty now. Let's leave it at that and start getting some home grown talent in there.

I do think light rail ROCKS although tons of people are anti. Having lived in St. Louis, though, before and after the Metrolink, I'm all for it. Makes life SO much easier.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:43 AM

824 posts, read 1,601,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal744 View Post
Barring wars, earthquakes or tornadoes, change is usually incremental and not always forward, either. In a way, San Antonio was lucky: while cities like Houston and Dallas were tearing down everything that looked old, we kept ours and now people come here to enjoy it. The eye craves detail and complexity and most very modern buildings just don't have that, although things are changing there too.
Excellent post!!!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:36 AM

Last I heard, there are three "Research 1" universities in Texas today: Texas A&M in College Station, UT in Austin, and Rice University in Houston. Student body size doesn't really matter. What matters is quality and, in the case of state supported universities, where the state chooses to allocate its dollars. In the case of Rice, total enrollment is somewhere below 6,000 students. What makes it a Research 1 University is the quality of its faculty, research, research income and graduate programs.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:31 AM

107 posts, read 216,452 times
I think we have already seen the San Antonio of Tomorrow.

Mike Judges and Etan Cohens movie Idocracy that was filmed in Austin. The funny thing is that the rumor is that Etan Cohen wrote the movie after spending week in San antonio during his King of the Hill days.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:39 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,133,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMP View Post
I think we have already seen the San Antonio of Tomorrow.

Mike Judges and Etan Cohens movie Idocracy that was filmed in Austin. The funny thing is that the rumor is that Etan Cohen wrote the movie after spending week in San antonio during his King of the Hill days.
It's "IDIOCRACY" and no, that's not the future of San Antonio. Unless, of course, more small-minded people from other areas move in, register on a message board, and spew hate.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:46 AM

Default Developers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron G View Post
Mr. 210,
If you want my opinion as someone who helps fund the buildings you boast about, San Antonio is somewhat hostile to development. You have, arguably, the WORST city government in Texas as far as development is concerned. The legal wrangling over every small thing (my specialty) is prohibitive. Worse still, you have few suburbs or outside counties to develop - something immensely valuable in America's true major cities. The city is also somewhat "out of the way" - difficult to reach by air compared with its neighbors. Perhaps it is just a spate of bad luck - Dallas and Houston are economic supernovas, and Austin seems to suck up local talent. Anyways, these are just the ramblings I have had with clients over many glasses of scotch.
I beg to differ, Ron. If hostility to developers is a criterium, then Austin takes the pole position by a huge margin. Also, we have seen what rampant out of control development can do - just go to Houston and see chaos writ large. Dallas is only slightly better. We don't need to destroy everything in the name of progress to call it Progress. Show me a city that rolls on its back with its paws in the air yelping "Take me, take me!" to developers, and I'll show you a city that will be a continuous slum in the future. Hotel rates in Houston drop on the weekends; hotel rates in San Antonio rise on the weekends. Figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or