Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 06:41 AM

529 posts, read 2,710,892 times

Advertisements

Hi

Are there any all-electric houses in Windcrest?
I think I really like the area but I also really like all-electric houses. I keep checking places like realtor.com and others. I usually find several listings that say "electric heat" but when I bother a real estate agent to show me the house, I get there and see that the house does have electric heat but it also has a gas water heater or something.

I'm looking for an older, established, quiet neighborhood that doesn't have a lot of traffic. One story, brick - preferably less than 200K. If I want all-electric am I wasting my time with Windcrest? Are there any real estate search sites that might help? I've already tried realtor.com, bradfieldproperties.com; remax.com; century21.com, zillow.com, realestate.yahoo.com and a few others.

Also, how bad are foundation problems out there. I've looked at 4 houses in Windcrest already with very obvious foundation problems. If I move out there will I be expecting to have to fix my foundation sooner or later?

Thanks
Shenane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 07:22 AM

454 posts, read 504,893 times
I think this year in particular, there are foundation problems everywhere. It seems the drought of last year followed by the excessive rains of this year have caused some significant shifting in the soil. I know people in all parts of Bexar County who've had foundation trouble this year (we have pier and beam ourselves, so we have different foundation issues...)

Old 12-13-2007, 08:39 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
I think it will be difficult to find an all electric house. The most effecient use of energy has been to use a combination of gas and electric. Most homes in the area have been built with a combination of gas and electric.
As for the foundation issues, the extreme drought and then excessive rains have created lots of foundation problems this year, some minor and some major. It depends on the problem if repairs need to be made or not. Slab foundations have different issues than pier and beam.
If your moving to SA from another part of the country, consider renting an apartment or house for 6 months and take off the pressure to locate a house to buy.
Give yourself the 6 months to get educated on the area and where you want to buy that dream house.
SA is a dream no matter where you live...you will enjoy it. Welcome.

Last edited by ShaneSA; 12-13-2007 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-13-2007, 04:50 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
Congratulations on choosing Windcrest, it is an area that is really going to boom in the next few years, yet retain that small town atmosphere. All electric houses in San Antonio aren't very common, most use natural gas, as it remains a pretty cheap resource. Foundation wise what other have said is true, everywhere in San Antonio you are likely to find some trouble with the drought then rain causing havoc.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:38 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
We have an "all electric" house in Westcreek- 78253 Built in 2003.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:00 AM

180 posts, read 793,857 times
Sorry if this is an ignorant question- is it difficult to replace a gas water heater to electric?

I had no idea Windcrest wasn't all electric until this post, thanks OP. That would be a turn off for us too. But if it is easy enough to get that changed...

Old 12-14-2007, 03:30 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by did0c View Post
Sorry if this is an ignorant question- is it difficult to replace a gas water heater to electric?

I had no idea Windcrest wasn't all electric until this post, thanks OP. That would be a turn off for us too. But if it is easy enough to get that changed...
It is easier to change from gas to electric than the other way around. You would need to run a dedicated 220 volt circuit to the water heater, maybe 30 amps (not sure about the required amps). The water lines would connect the same way they do now. With the electric, you won't need the flue anymore or the gas line.

If the water heater is the only gas appliance and you convert to electric, you can probably have the gas meter removed & cap the line. You wouldn't be paying the monthly minimum charge for gas service this way.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:27 PM

9 posts, read 24,864 times
Angry Foundation problems in Windcrest

These are very true and very real. Apparently the contractor back in the 60's and 70's would reuse the rebar in the foundations. The inspector would come out and give the foundation reinforcing bars the thumbs up and no sooner would he disappear over the horizon than they would yank it out and pour in the concrete.

Foundation's in the older homes out there are KRAP. Not to mention that the problem is compounded because they were built on old farm land tilled and farmed to all hell for about 100 years.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Frankly if you go all electric just make sure the heating is a heat pump. Forced air electric heating can be much more expensive than forced air gas. I think one of the problems in the area is that in many high clay soils like houston they underream the foundation to add stability. This maybe very difficult to do in the hill country with all the rocks below ground.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:28 PM

126 posts, read 425,075 times
What's the appeal of an all electric house other than having sky high utility bills all through the winter as well as summer? Is it a fear of having gas in the house?

Cooking on an electric stove has always been an aggravating experience for me and it takes an 80 gallon water heater to be able to keep up with what a 40 gallon water heater can generate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio