Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:59 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTexan View Post
Here is a link for the Farmer's Market in Leon Springs, every Saturday 8:30 am - 1 pm.

http://www.leonspringsfm.com/
doggone it, i keep wanting to go to this one and i keep forgetting --- it's only about 5mins from my house --- have you been??? how is it??? the pictures look great...

i am really going to try to get out there this saturday...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 06:57 PM

348 posts, read 1,222,402 times
I first started attending when it was in the parking lot of Leon Springs Grill, however, the latest location is still great because they have a consistent selection of quality fruits, veggies and homemade preserves etc.

Great people out there, very friendly and fun. I've enjoyed having a quality FM near our community and will continue to support our local farmers.

Let me know what you think, hope you make it out there soon!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:28 PM

707 posts, read 1,845,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I think the topic about Market Square has been sort of ironic....in that some feel it's been managed so poorly. It's sad that it actually was a flourishing REAL farmers market at one point. Too bad it caters to tourists and souvenirs that don't help the residents with local commerce and daily fresh produce.
That would be (was a...) great location for a Farmer's Market.

Thanks for the link, I am going to check these out. Does anyone have more info on the Austin farmer's market? The description reminds me of the FM we'd go to on Thursday nights in San Luis Obispo (CA). We only lived in CA 3 years, but I still miss their farmer's markets!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:31 PM

707 posts, read 1,845,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Are you sure this vendor is selling his own crops? Is he from around here? Zucchini and squash are not typically winter crops around here. I grow onions also and have about 150 in the ground but onions start to bulb when the day length gets longer in this part of North America. That will be around mid April to May. I suspect some f his produced is being shipped in from elsewhere. Not that there is anything wrong with shipping in what is not available locally right now as long as he is not just buying everything wholesale and marketing it as locally grown.
Good point -- the FM where we were in CO was a joke (I'm sure on the western slope they were great, just not in our town) -- there would be veggies/fruit from the grocery store -- and people actually BOUGHT them!

Old 06-07-2009, 06:24 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,834,012 times
Community Supported Agriculture - LocalHarvest

Interesting (though not new!) alternative to the farmer's market.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
Community Supported Agriculture - LocalHarvest

Interesting (though not new!) alternative to the farmer's market.
This might be off-topic. Last time I looked into this a year or so ago, the only CSA making deliveries to greater SA was no longer in operation.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:26 PM
djw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
This might be off-topic. Last time I looked into this a year or so ago, the only CSA making deliveries to greater SA was no longer in operation.
Not sure about deliveries, but it looks like there's an active CSA farm in Seguin. I ran across it looking for something totally different. Neat concept, I think.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
Not sure about deliveries, but it looks like there's an active CSA farm in Seguin. I ran across it looking for something totally different. Neat concept, I think.
OIC that now. Good to see that SA will have that option again. Hopefully a member of the CSA will post here about their experience with it. I'd be curious to read what kind of fruits and veggies are included with a local CSA.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:23 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,940 times
Anybody been to the new farmer's market at the Pearl?

Old 06-08-2009, 01:39 PM
djw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Anybody been to the new farmer's market at the Pearl?
There's quite a few of us that have gone:
Pearl Farmers Market Opening (merged threads)

fwiw, I was at Helotes Market days this weekend and asked the produce vendor his thoughts on Pearl. He said they (Pearl Market folks) are limiting the number of similar vendors and he expects that the current produce vendors won't be able to keep up with demand. Again - his thoughts...not mine!
This guy has his truck at the Helotes and Leon Valley markets and a few others all over town. Picked up some very yummy plums!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio