U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:25 PM

30 posts, read 147,003 times

Advertisements

Hello,
20 days and counting before we arrive in San Antonio. I have a few concerns to ask for help on.
1.A realtor who wants our business, keeps pushing us to look at Lennar Homes. We have read that a lot of Lennars new inventory isn't selling, and that the quality is poor. Please give us some insight. We really aren't interested in them.
2.The realtor says, he doesn't text, or email listings, but is willing to show us 15 houses a day when we get to San Antonio. We are first time home buyers and feel like this individual is not proactive in our home search and is on the side of Lennar homes for some reason. Is this how realtors work? I am thinking he doesn't want to do any leg work until we sign a contract to work exclusively with him, or could he just be an "old school" realtor. His words, not ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 06:48 PM

5,635 posts, read 13,970,714 times
Do you have a buyer's agent? If not, get one.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:02 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,575,118 times
Shop around for your agent just as you would a pair of shoes or a new computer.
I'm on the move as well and "interviewed" three agents before I decided which one to list with and I spoke to two on the phone at my destination and chose one to work with until I get to town. Neither of us are under any obligation to the other, but she's going out of her way to help me before I get to town.

I totally understand that coming from out of state puts you at a disadvantage for trying to interview agents, but if you are military or moving through another type of "company" move, check out ANY relocation assistance they offer - typically it is free and they will often have agents they recommend. USAA comes to mind if you are eligible for their services.

In today's market, an agent should be kissing your butt for your business if you ask me. One that doesn't email listings to an out of state client...WOW!

DM me if you want some recs for buyer's agents. If you aren't sure what that means, google it and READ READ READ Buyer's Agents - Hiring Buyer's Agents - Should Buyers Sign Exclusive Agreements With an Agent is a good place to start.

Good luck on your move!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:20 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,977,390 times
it sounds to me like maybe Lennar is giving a bigger commission to realtors who bring buyers in...i don't know if that's even possible, but maybe a rebate or something...idk...

also, my inlaws live in a Lennar neighborhood, the highest level home they make and yes, it did seem like their inventory homes were taking a looonnggg time to sell...it could be the market, but other homes in the area by other builders were selling much faster...dh and i went to see a couple of the homes in my in-laws neighborhood and the sales people advised us they were giving huge incentives, 40k - 60k off the inventory homes...

my in-laws house is nice, but not my style --- one thing i didn't like was that all the homes in the neighborhood have the exact same tile, same carpet, same appliances, same countertops, etc...there were no choices...so we would go into the neighbors home and although the floorplan was different it didn't seem like it since everything else was the same...

from what i have heard Lennar is now giving a few options to their buyers ---

good luck to you in your move and i would maybe shop around with another realtor...as a previous poster said, in this market, you would think he would be kissing your booty to get your business and if that means emailing you listings, then that is what needs to be done...old school or not...

Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,714,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liby View Post
Hello,
20 days and counting before we arrive in San Antonio. I have a few concerns to ask for help on.
1.A realtor who wants our business, keeps pushing us to look at Lennar Homes. We have read that a lot of Lennars new inventory isn't selling, and that the quality is poor. Please give us some insight. We really aren't interested in them.
2.The realtor says, he doesn't text, or email listings, but is willing to show us 15 houses a day when we get to San Antonio. We are first time home buyers and feel like this individual is not proactive in our home search and is on the side of Lennar homes for some reason. Is this how realtors work? I am thinking he doesn't want to do any leg work until we sign a contract to work exclusively with him, or could he just be an "old school" realtor. His words, not ours.
The reason the Realtor is probably pushing Lennar so strongly is because of the incentives, or "bonuses" that Lennar is offering Realtors for selling their homes. That is a possibility, and from what you are saying about how strongly he is pushing Lennar more than likely the case. I will add though that Lennar is not that bad of a builder at all, but then again I have no idea what your in the market for either. I mean there are many many other builders that are much better, but in the higher dollar range. I do not currently practice agency, but have in the past, and have worked with all of the local builders, and I'd go with Lennar over Pulte, or KB any day.

The second remark regarding your post that I really wanted to make a comment on is the "I think he doesn't want to do any leg work untill we sign a contract exclusively with him" statement. I can tell you that I would NEVER do anything more than a small one page email gesture, or maybe a friendly call over the phone with a prospective client without them signing an exclusive buyer's agreement with me, and if that is the attitude the Realtor is portraying I wouldn't say he is the right guy because there are other factors, but I do not blame him at all for not wanting to do a bunch of long distance work for free. You may find several other Realtors who will, but they are not going to typically be of the same calibur as those who take their time seriously.

Also as for the comment that someone else posted about Realtors should be kissing clients tails, or whatever with the market how it is today.....that's a bunch of BULL. The market is great today in the San Antonio area, and any Realtor putting the time in is making the money if they know what they are doing.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:11 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,575,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Also as for the comment that someone else posted about Realtors should be kissing clients tails, or whatever with the market how it is today.....that's a bunch of BULL. The market is great today in the San Antonio area, and any Realtor putting the time in is making the money if they know what they are doing.

I will leave the debate about San Antonio's market to the other threads on this topic. However, I was speaking from personal experience as a seller and my discussions had with two other sellers in the same area with the same type/size home. Collectively, over three months, there have only been 3-4 look-sees on our homes. That is what I meant by "today's market". A quick look look at lennar's current listings suggest the OP is in a comparable market (price wise). Based on my uneducated experience, there aren't many buyers TODAY in our price range. Could change in day, next week, or next month or not until summer. But right now, it is what it is.
If I were an agent, I'd be happy to assist in any way I could. I'm not suggesting they give their services away, but what's the harm in emailing a few listings that meet the buyer's criteria, answering a few questions, and offering some listings besides Lennar to show that the agent really does represent (potentially) the buyer. Good customer service starts way before the sale. What else would you consider "putting in the time"?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:16 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,323,136 times
If you feel like they're pushing Lennar to you, they probably are. I believe that Lennar is giving pretty large bonuses to Realtors. I'm not sure, as I haven't sold one in a long time, but they do that quite a bit. There are a lot of Realtors out there that are starving, and they may be going after bonuses.

That's not how we're supposed to operate. We're supposed to find a home that fits our clients' needs, regardless of commissions offered. Unfortunately, not all act that way.

Not sure if your Realtor is doing that or not, but if you feel uncomfortable with him, you need to call them on it, or find another.

The Realtor isn't representing Lennar, because I don't believe that they have one that markets their stuff. It's not the way it works. He's probably a buyer's agent, but just not a good one.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:07 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,687,281 times
Where are you buying the house?
Something similar just happened to me.

I'm renting in San Antonio and have been here a few months.
After doing a lot of research I went to a realtor and told him that I wanted to see pre-owned houses in an area of the city and I clearly told him that
I wanted a fixer-up between $110-$125,000.
He gave my information to a creditor and then he told us that we have pretty much perfect credit score and could get a house for more than $200,000.
The problem is that I've been broke before, so I rather buy some too cheap, than something too expensive.

We made an appointment with him to go and see some houses and we told him that our lease expires in 8 months (no rush).
1st he showed us a foreclosure for $135,000, it looked like crap inside, one room had a huge stain on the carpet, one bathroom upstair had plywood on the floor and one sink, that was it. While inside the house, he was saying that it would take a lot of work to fix it, and I would have to spend $15,000 before I moved in.

After that, he took us to see about 8 new houses, all of them ranged from $132,000 to $160,000.
I kind of like the cheapest one ($132,000) because it was close to our price range and it was somewhat nice, but it was one floor.
I remember saying twice that I liked it and when I said that he said that 2 floors would be better and that he wanted to show me another house.

A couple of weeks later my wife and I decided to drive around the area and noticed a sign that said "New houses starting for $104,000"
That place is right across the street from one place the realtor showed us where the houses started around $155,000.

We found one we liked for $124,000, but we felt in love with one a little bigger (it always happens, that why I start low) for $132,000 without options.
We had to add options (front porch, 1st floor bathroom, roof radiant barrier, etc, etc.) as basic as possible, ended up being $142,000.
A little bit out of our range, but we like the house, the size, etc, etc.

Why did the realtor showed us a subdivision where the houses started at $155,000 but didn't show us the one across the street where they start at $104,000?
I bet he has deals with some but not others.
Well, he lost all the money he could have made with my purchase.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:17 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,323,136 times
That's why it's SO important to interview Realtors until you find one that you feel will represent your best interests, and if you feel they're not, break your contract and walk away. Referrals are huge. There are a ton of Realtors out there just looking to make a few more bucks on a deal, but the good ones realize that even though this certain deal may not net them that much, a lifetime of referrals from a happy client will net them infinitely more.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,211 times
A realtor who pushes one builder is one to avoid at all costs unless you have already determined that the builder in question is the one you would prefer to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio