Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 08:35 PM

898 posts, read 2,895,196 times

Advertisements

I've lost count how many different people I know that have told me that TWC have by accident given them all the pay channels for free...lol anyone else heard of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 05:55 AM

68 posts, read 272,876 times
we were given a lot of "pay per view" channels, and when I called to ask, the lady made sure I wasn't being charged for them. I figured they would cancel them, but we still have them and aren't being charged...

Old 02-22-2009, 07:17 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
Pay-Per-View means exactly that. There is no charge to have access to those channels, but you are charged for any movie, show, or event that you purchase to watch on those channels.

I don't know if Cable does this, but satellite sometimes has free previews of premium movie channels or sports packages for a limited time for all customers. The purpose is to let customers who don't subscribe to these higher end services sample them free of charge, with the hope that it will entice some of them to go ahead and subscribe as paying customers. They also sometimes offer one of these premium packages free of charge as a promotion for new customers, usually for the first 90 days.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:41 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
When I went canceled cable, I decided to hook up an antenna in my attic to receive free over-the-air programming (nbc, abc, cbs, pbs, fox, etc). It is great, however, I noticed that I still get HBO/History Channel/Bravo and a few other channels for free if I disconnect the antenna and reconnect the cable. I made sure I was not being charged for "TV" anymore....but I still get those channels. The only problem is that if I want to watch something on HBO, i have to go into the attic and reconnect the cable to watch it. Still beats paying $60+ or whatever it is they are charging for cable these days.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:01 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
When I went canceled cable, I decided to hook up an antenna in my attic to receive free over-the-air programming (nbc, abc, cbs, pbs, fox, etc). It is great, however, I noticed that I still get HBO/History Channel/Bravo and a few other channels for free if I disconnect the antenna and reconnect the cable. I made sure I was not being charged for "TV" anymore....but I still get those channels. The only problem is that if I want to watch something on HBO, i have to go into the attic and reconnect the cable to watch it. Still beats paying $60+ or whatever it is they are charging for cable these days.
My sister and brother-in-law purchased and moved into a house that had been vacant for a few months here in San Antonio a few years back. They already had satellite service, so they just re-connected their equipment at their new address, and it worked just fine.

After having lived there a few months, on a lark, my brother-in-law wanted to see what would happen if he connected the TV to the coax cable coming out of the wall that apparently was used for the previous owner's Cable TV hookup. Guess what! Time Warner analog Cable TV channels coming through loud and clear, with HBO to boot!

They kept their satellite service, which was just as well, because shortly thereafter, when my sister noticed a Time Warner truck at a neighbor's house on some kind of service call, the free Cable finally got cut off.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:02 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,912 times
Oh, it's more than $60, believe me.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,976 times
I was told once by someone who worked for a cable company that sometimes the worker repsonsible for cutting off the cable is not always honest about having finished the job.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:34 PM

68 posts, read 272,876 times
no, I mean the pay per view is always playing...and like the movies on demand, where its supposed to cost money, it doesn't fo rus...idk how to explain it...lol

Old 02-22-2009, 03:58 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,290,673 times
Several years ago I lived in a house that actually was somehow connected using wiring (fiber optics?) I have no idea how it was explained, anyways stuff that was connected to .... Paragon Cable. So I was getting free cable plus HBO & Showtime. I even had a tech come out and hook up the internet and he was the one who told me about the wiring situation, but he didnt disconnect it he told me plainly he didnt "give a shhhh" - I had originally figured the previous tenants cable just hadnt been turned off and I rode the free cable until I moved out a year later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio