Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:39 PM

348 posts, read 1,218,100 times

Advertisements

FYI...Txdot will implement lane changes on Thursday. Thought I'd post an update, hope this helps reduce some of the major congestion along I10!!!

Txdot website explains the changes being implemented: I-10 at Dominion Drive (http://www.txdot.gov/project_information/projects/san_antonio/i10_dominion/default.htm - broken link)

And this helps illustrate the upcoming changes:
http://www.cavenderhill.com/brochures/DominionHillsPlaza/DHP-Overpass.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 PM

436 posts, read 1,608,093 times
thanks for the links.

one the map, do the # of arrows indicate the # of lanes? if so, that means north bound i-10 access road would be 4 lanes (plus a turnaround) and the road is not nearly wide enough for that now. of course, they are clearing land off to the right side... that would be great if they could expand it in the future.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:07 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,467,372 times
thanks so much for the info --- the map was really helpful to put it all into perspective --- i was driving the 2way frontage quite a bit on the dominion's side to get up to camp bullis so i am glad to learn about the change before hand ---

i tried to rep you but it says i have to spread it around --- boo!!!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:40 PM

40 posts, read 89,591 times
OK, I'm a little confused. Why is it that the brand new I-10 overpass is ONLY two lanes each way based on the width of the bridges. They should have build overpass bridges to accomodate at LEAST three lane or more for each way in anticipation of the increase in traffic going to the Boerne area. I have friends that live in Fair Oaks Ranch and they tell me that traffic already bottlenecks at the Dominion overpass. It takes them at least 45 minutes to get home from the medical center! I have a hunch that the Dominion homeowners didn't want a larger overpass build because of the possible noise pollution.What gives?

Old 02-23-2009, 09:49 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,467,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutsa View Post
OK, I'm a little confused. Why is it that the brand new I-10 overpass is ONLY two lanes each way based on the width of the bridges. They should have build overpass bridges to accomodate at LEAST three lane or more for each way in anticipation of the increase in traffic going to the Boerne area. I have friends that live in Fair Oaks Ranch and they tell me that traffic already bottlenecks at the Dominion overpass. It takes them at least 45 minutes to get home from the medical center! I have a hunch that the Dominion homeowners didn't want a larger overpass build because of the possible noise pollution.What gives?
wow, that is really surprising --- i live just past fair oaks ranch and it doesn't take us anywhere near 45mins. to get home --- dh works at SAHA on wednesdays and thursdays and when he gets off at 515pm it takes him 30mins to get home from downtown, much further than the med center...

i know traffic is really bad at the 1604/i-10 interchange but if you just stay in the left hand lane it's okay --- traffic then builds up again at about the Rim and just past but it keeps moving since there are not many exit/entrance ramps right there...

now if there is an accident on the highway around the dominion area, forget it...it's horrible, but that is few and far between...

today i had to go to walmart right at 5pm and instead of going to the one at DeZavala i went to the one it Boerne --- it was awesome, no traffic what-so-ever...none...i love this area because of that reason --- 10mins one way and i am in downtown Boerne, 10mins the other way and i'm at Huebner Oaks...

Old 02-23-2009, 11:39 PM

592 posts, read 2,017,271 times
What a waste of money to totally redo I10 for and underpass for the Dominon. They could have added one lane on each side

Old 02-24-2009, 09:23 AM

123 posts, read 449,131 times
The Dominio drive exit and new underpass were not built just for the residents of the Dominion. There is much development happening along that stretch of I-10 as well as several other subdivisions (Crownridge, Stonewall Ranch and Stonewall Estates) that will benefit from this road project. There is currently no exit between Camp Bullis and Boerne Stage. As a resident of the area, but not of the Dominion, I'm glad for the road changes and am glad they are happening in conjunction with the growth in the area instead of after the fact. I will also be happy when they add the turnaround at Boerne Stage so that I don't have to sit through the stoplights in front of Rudy's (though if you have to sit and wait, it isn't so bad doing it while the smell of BBQ wafts through the air).

Betsy

Old 02-24-2009, 09:34 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,387,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
What a waste of money to totally redo I10 for and underpass for the Dominon. They could have added one lane on each side
It's going to HUGELY alleviate traffic there. It's not done FOR the Dominion residents. That's an area that has a lot of communities and business, and isn't near done growing. The overpass is just for people flying by that don't want to be held up. A large percentage of the traffic gets off in that area, which is what causes the huge backups.

Something tells me that TXDOT did their independent studies to make sure it would work and didn't rely on the Dominion homeowners to draw up the plans.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:08 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,161,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutsa View Post
Note the empty space between the overpasses-- this will be used to add a future addition to the overpasses to widen I-10. TxDOT is working on a plan right now for the entire corridor from Loop 1604 to Boerne. The projects at Dominion and Camp Bullis were designed to accomodate that future expansion.

The main purpose for the Dominion overpass was two-fold:

1. The City requested it to allow faster access from their fire station on the west side of I-10 to locations on the east side (esp. the Dominion.)
2. As Betsyg mentioned, there is no crossover along I-10 for a long stretch between Camp Bullis and Boerne Stage. With growth and traffic in that area, an intermediate crossover was needed, especially in order to convert the access roads to one-way, which also is necessitated by traffic in that area. (One-way operation on the access roads from CB to Dominion is supposed to start this Thursday I believe.)

Old 02-24-2009, 08:17 PM

348 posts, read 1,218,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Note the empty space between the overpasses-- this will be used to add a future addition to the overpasses to widen I-10. TxDOT is working on a plan right now for the entire corridor from Loop 1604 to Boerne. The projects at Dominion and Camp Bullis were designed to accomodate that future expansion.

The main purpose for the Dominion overpass was two-fold:

1. The City requested it to allow faster access from their fire station on the west side of I-10 to locations on the east side (esp. the Dominion.)
2. As Betsyg mentioned, there is no crossover along I-10 for a long stretch between Camp Bullis and Boerne Stage. With growth and traffic in that area, an intermediate crossover was needed, especially in order to convert the access roads to one-way, which also is necessitated by traffic in that area. (One-way operation on the access roads from CB to Dominion is supposed to start this Thursday I believe.)
I agree that the Dominion Overpass is one part of a muli-stage project to expand I10.

I am attaching an email I received and it outlines some specific events that are supposedly taking place within the next week. It may help some of you that travel out in this area....

I, for one, am glad to have the modifications made due to the tremendous growth this area is experiencing.

"On Sunday, March 1st, the contractor will be shuting down the underpass of IH 10 and Camp Bullis Road. The contractor will be placing concrete beams overhead for the proposed westbound main lane bridge throughout the day.

At 5:00 a.m. on Sunday, March 1st, the frontage road cross over (underpass) at Camp Bullis Road, will be completly closed. through traffic will be detoured by off dutty officers to either the Boerne Stage Road intersection, by way of Dominion Drive, or to the La Cantera Parkway intersection. Frontage road traffic in either direction (east or west) will remain open during this closure. In addition, the new westbound frontage road turnaround @ Dominion Drive will be open to through traffic.

Through traffic can expect delays and should consider using alternative routes if possible.

Should you have any questions concerning this work, please notify our office immediately.

Thank You,
Erick WildeStorm
Project Manager /
Construction Inspector
S.A.T. Mobility Office
ewildes@dot.state.tx.us
(210) 403-4300
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio