U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 09:21 PM

84 posts, read 286,459 times

Advertisements

We are still searching for a possible relo and have liked what we have seen/heard about some of the smaller towns in the Hill Country. We both work from home - so actual proximity to Austin or San Antonio is not going to be a driving factor - we just want to be within an hour commute or so to a larger city for occasional excursions. We love small towns - the kind with town squares, streets lined with trees, quaint shops and restaurants. We don't like big box retailors, strip malls and cookie cutter subdivisions with HOA's. Areas that have popped up on the radar include Wimberely, Fredicksburg, and Kerrville - although I am sure there are many more.

A driving factor in the relo will be schools - as we have a 5 yr old - what areas in the Hill Country are known for good schools?? I'm not concerned with who can take tests the best, but schools where the teachers are committed, the parents are active and the kids take responsibility. Schools where class sizes are in the low 20's or under and where arts, history, and languages are more important than athletics. I am dreaming here or does this exist??? Schools can be public or private (although we would prefer one that is not overboard religious).

Any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 5,935 times
I'm not familiar with Wimberley, However, Kerrville is a good choice I believe the pop. is about 35-40M and hour drive to San Antonio? I enjoy visiting Fredericksburg, attics capital of the Hill Country, I would think, about 45 minutes to an hour drive to SA. There also is Boerne about 30 minutes to SA. Boerne's education system is the best in the state, and Boerne was selected by Money mag. If I remember correctly as one of the best places to raise a family, Pop. about 10-11M. But you mention Religious Boerne is a strong Christian Town, More Churches than Places to eat, or maybe the same...lol. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio