Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:25 AM

23 posts, read 65,201 times

Advertisements

I have very hard water in my house which has clogged up my new shower head in a couple of months and has contributed to a lower than normal water pressure. The house is 15 years old and does not have a water softener (nor is looped for one). If I install a water softener, my existing pipes would still have limescale deposits in them. Has anyone had any experience with products that claim to remove limescale deposits from water pipes?

I've found a bunch of products that look like they are junk, such as the magnetic attachment to your main inlet pipe that removes limescale deposits. I've also seen this device HydroCare USA which claims to remove limescale deposits by using radio waves. Has anyone used this device before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 08:55 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,521 times
To clean the shower head soak paper towel in white vinegar wrap it around the head then put a plastic bag over it. Leave for a couple of hours will remove it all. Also great for hard water on anything else, I put white vinegar in my electric kettle boil it then rinse it out.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:18 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Sanivac is number one at removing hard water buildup. I tried a bunch of stuff before this and none came close.

The alternatives to water softeners (magnets, radio waves, ...) are gimmicks. I did an experiment with the magnets for a few years and they had no effect whatsoever.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:35 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,931 times
In our last house which didn't have a water softener - we used "The Works". It was fabulous. We had never heard of it, but a friendly neighbor shared this secret with my wife. It is available at HEB and Wal-Mart.

http://www.theworkscleans.com/limeosol.html

Old 02-25-2009, 10:44 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
In our last house which didn't have a water softener - we used "The Works". It was fabulous. We had never heard of it, but a friendly neighbor shared this secret with my wife. It is available at HEB and Wal-Mart.

The Works® :: Limeosol
The works is some awesome stuff!!! It is all I use when cleaning my shower .

I have found that the works in the spray bottle seems to do better than the one in the squirt bottle (like the lime away comes in).

Old 02-25-2009, 10:59 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
We live by vinegar, which does wonders.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
The works is some awesome stuff!!! It is all I use when cleaning my shower .

I have found that the works in the spray bottle seems to do better than the one in the squirt bottle (like the lime away comes in).
My wife says the same thing. The spray bottle is better.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
We live by vinegar, which does wonders.
Vinegar does wonders - used to use it in my coffee maker when we didn't have a water softener. But it stinks.

The Works smells much better and works better than Vinegar for things other than hard water build up.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:05 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,320 times
Yep, I can also attest to vinegar for removing hard water deposits. I generally remove the shower head and soak it in a bowl of white vinegar overnight. For cleaning hard water and soap scum stains on tubs, a Magic Eraser works pretty well.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:49 PM

278 posts, read 693,458 times
don't worry about the buildup in the pipes until you have a water softener. it will fix a lot. the deposits won't be that bad after 15 years anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio