Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 05:03 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times

Advertisements

nobody is modifying the intake? That is my next project. My son put one on his Mazda 3 and he said it increased his perception of power (no dyno to actually check it). I've already done the exhaust part and need a cold air intake to balance it out. I am also looking for a chip for a 2008 Sport Trac (4.6L V-8), but they are mostly for the bigger V-8's or Mustangs (which is technically the same engine as mine).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 06:22 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkey View Post
Yeah a chip in a diesel has a LOT more of an effect because all you gotta do is crank up the boost on the turbo and get huge power..sounds cool too lol....I had one for a mustang I had, and it was ok..probably not worth the money, but you could adjust shift points (automatic) and bump up the timing a little bit....Is the jeep 4wd? maybe see what gear ratio you're running in the axle to increase torque and the "seat of the pants" feeling haha....sooo happy to see an automotive post on here...something that finally suits my addiction haha
Yea it's 4x4. I am running 3:73 gears. I know that I should re-gear since I've got 36" super swampers but as it is my rpm's are already at 2800 when I'm doing 65. Another thing that helps me out and keeps me from having to re-gear is that it is an automatic. I'm sure if it was a standard then I wouldn't even have a 5th gear.
haha, about the auto thread. I think that I missed my calling. I am a secretary for the President of the company but I can talk automotive all day long . It's really funny when I go to the parts house and know more than some of the guys working there .

RD, you are absolutely right about the intake. Before you spend a lot of money on a chip, make sure that it adds what you want. My dad and my brother used the chips on their gas motors and ended up taking them off and re-selling them. They were the superchips microtuner, they cost around $450.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:37 AM

yeah, it'll be easier to talk my wife into budgeting me a CAI instead of a chip
she doesn't see the use in any of it and thinks it's a waste of money, but has no problem spending crazy amounts of money at the nail salon...

Old 02-26-2009, 06:45 AM

237 posts, read 601,110 times
Default That, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Well, like I said I put mine on a 4.0 liter (6 banger) Jeep. I am also running 36" tires. I think I am fighting a losing battle when I try to gain horse power.

The best bang for my buck was my superchip microtuner that I bought for my truck. Now that thing really did work. I can add up to 120 hp just by pushing a few buttons . My truck is a diesel, I hear the chips for the gas motors don't work so good but I don't have any experience with that.

A superchip is on the short list, too. heh. We almost got one when we were in Houston, but they didn't have the one for our vehicle in stock. Then I got a little distracted and ordered the exhaust stuff. *Look! Car parts!*

Old 02-26-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
nobody is modifying the intake? That is my next project. My son put one on his Mazda 3 and he said it increased his perception of power (no dyno to actually check it). I've already done the exhaust part and need a cold air intake to balance it out. I am also looking for a chip for a 2008 Sport Trac (4.6L V-8), but they are mostly for the bigger V-8's or Mustangs (which is technically the same engine as mine).
Did you check the place you referred me to on Culebra? They have a sale going on and it should still be in effect for a few more days.

I need to call them about something that was ordered and came in the wrong size....

Old 02-26-2009, 06:50 AM

Default Multi-faceted $ spender

Quote:
yeah, it'll be easier to talk my wife into budgeting me a CAI instead of a chip
she doesn't see the use in any of it and thinks it's a waste of money, but has no problem spending crazy amounts of money at the nail salon...

And that's the crazy thing about me. I can do both!

Nails, truck goodies, pedicure, tatt's, more truck goodies, lather/rinse/repeat.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:29 AM

all you need is a Harley and you'll be perfect

Old 02-26-2009, 08:10 AM

132 posts, read 286,858 times
Quote:
ehh....it kind of depends on the intake you get. A lot of the new kits out there are just an aluminum pipe with a cone filter on the end, which if not plumbed to somewhere other than your engine bay (ie fenderwell etc) you'll just be sucking in hot air and kind of negating the whole purpose It will sound better though...as far as the 4.6 goes though, there are TONS out there you can do with it....Check around for intake manifolds, maybe bigger throttle body, MAF, injectors, and then throw on a CAI and you will have really opened the top end up as much as you can (without going into re-worked or aftermarket heads) and you will feel a difference

Old 02-26-2009, 08:14 AM

132 posts, read 286,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Yea it's 4x4. I am running 3:73 gears. I know that I should re-gear since I've got 36" super swampers but as it is my rpm's are already at 2800 when I'm doing 65. Another thing that helps me out and keeps me from having to re-gear is that it is an automatic. I'm sure if it was a standard then I wouldn't even have a 5th gear.
haha, about the auto thread. I think that I missed my calling. I am a secretary for the President of the company but I can talk automotive all day long . It's really funny when I go to the parts house and know more than some of the guys working there .

RD, you are absolutely right about the intake. Before you spend a lot of money on a chip, make sure that it adds what you want. My dad and my brother used the chips on their gas motors and ended up taking them off and re-selling them. They were the superchips microtuner, they cost around $450.
yeah the 3.73 is a great all around gear...I ran 4.10 in one of my mustangs for a while..wasnt AS BAD as I thought it was gonna be but you're right, I dont think it would warrant the difference between your current 3.73 and a set of 4.10...you know the saying though, "don't fear the gear" haha

Old 02-27-2009, 03:13 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexandCajun View Post
We're going to pick the stuff up and my husband knows he can do part of it. I'm concerned about the header installation.

I got: Dual exhaust Extreme; Exhaust Kit; Aluminized; Exits Behind Rear Tire At An Aggressive Angle; Incl. Muffler/Pipes/Stainless Tips/Hangers/Clamps;
Performance Header; Chrome; 1 5/8 in. Tubing; w/o Air Injection; w/o EGR
sweet! you can do the instalation yourself man, I did the same for my moms suburban (she got mad as hell when I surprised her) I did Long tube Headers, Y-pipe and a nice Manaflow. She got more madd when I did a Vortec Supercharger install. After a while she didnt like the boost, So I took the Charger out and put it in my dads 1500 he loves it!.

Anyway its real easy all you porbably need to do is a tune (depending if you took the Cat-less route)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio