Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:36 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,723,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Sure, but then I am not "walking on the right"

What exactly is is about the railing you do not like?

What about the expansion project?
Then stay on the side of the river where you can walk on the right and be away from twe water!!

Railing interupts the view adds more visual clutter. Again, this has not been an issue for over 40 years. Mark Cuban needs to just go back to being a pain in the .... and leave us alone. This is a terrible idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 09:37 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,723,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I don't think we need a railing, either, although I do understand the concern with small children. However, you have to keep your kids from running into the street without railings for prevention, so........
Excatly - I don't see railing at the beach either. Or around the grass so kids don't run out in front of the lawn mower....

You can really go over board when it comes to safety. The Lawyers love it, but many times (and in the case of the river walk) it is not necessary...

Old 02-26-2009, 09:46 AM

616 posts, read 2,074,676 times
The only time I've really ever wanted a railing was when I was walking an intoxicated friend back to get a cab during the time the river is drained - if someone took a dive then, they'd smack into rock, and that's no good.

However, the other 99% of the time the river is full, and the water is mostly shallow in the most heavily trafficked areas. If you fall in, the worst that will happen is that you will stink, and you'll probably get a cop or two checking to see if you've been drinking after they fish you out.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 AM

452 posts, read 1,024,132 times
I don't think anyone gives a flying flip what Mark Cuban thinks! He needs to keep his fat head in Dallas and mind his own business. The Riverwalk does not need a railing, but Mark Cuban does...across his mouth!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:41 AM

179 posts, read 466,632 times
I think instead of a railing maybe a cover. Something sturdy and permanent. Hey we could pave it over. Then we could have a street. Mark Cuban's a genius. Or maybe he can just burn in .....

Old 02-26-2009, 12:13 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,304,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Sure, but then I am not "walking on the right"
I don't understand this comment.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:26 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,890,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I don't understand this comment.
I think what the poster meant was that on one side of the Riverwalk, if you are walking on the portion of the sidewalk farthest from the water, you will be going against the normal pedestrian traffic, as most people will pass to the right of people walking in the opposite direction.

Clear as mud?

Cheers! M2

Old 02-26-2009, 12:31 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,468,967 times
as everyone knows dh is a police officer and has been for the past 8yrs --- for the first 5yrs he was assigned to only the riverwalk and surrounding areas --- 2yrs out on the streets of san antonio --- and he is now back on the riverwalk ---

dh works the 1015pm - 615am shift ... he said that in a year they get less than 10 people (and that number is on the very high side) that ever fall into the river --- he said the majority of those people are either pushed in by their drunk friends or are drunk themselves and jump in just to be stupid --- dh says there are very very few that actually fall in on their own and when they do it is because they are not paying attention to where they are walking and stepping...

according to dh the river is apx 5 - 5 1/2 ft deep in the center in the horseshoe area, which is where all the bars and restaraunts are --- the edges are apx 3ft deep ... since this is a natural river bed he said that when the barges go thru they stir up the soot and push it to the side making the edges more shallow...

even during the river parades they do not put up a railing, all they do is put up construction wire around plant beds etc...to protect them...

dh says he never hears complaints about no railing from san antonio natives...the only ones who ask why there is no railing are either transplants to the city or tourists ...

personally, i would hate to see a railing go up on the riverwalk --- ever since the riverwalk came to be there has never been a railing, so why mess with a good thing??? --- maybe other cities put up railings but that is what makes san antonio so unique...it is part of the character of the riverwalk...

Old 02-26-2009, 12:53 PM

18,044 posts, read 25,080,159 times
Mark Cuban should drive around Dallas
I'm sure he'll find at least 1000 different places that need railing over there.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:19 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,162,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Mark Cuban should drive around Dallas
I'm sure he'll find at least 1000 different places that need railing over there.
Indeed, he should start at Las Colinas, where their imitation River Walk also doesn't have railings:

http://www.theworldaccordingtokang.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/las-colinas-canal1.jpg (broken link)

http://www.theworldaccordingtokang.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/las-colinas-canal1.jpg (broken link)

And hey Mark, the water there looks like a muddy hole too!

The Bricktown canal in OKC doesn't have railings, neither does the Canalwalk in Indianapolis, nor most of the walkways alongside canals in Venice, and I'm sure a bunch more if I had the time to research it.

Mark Cuban is a royal putz who has nothing better to do than to listen to himself talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio