U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 06:06 PM

490 posts, read 968,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
I notice on this forum many people focus on the negatives of the city and overlook the positives, which are in my opinion very plentiful. I do not think crime in SA is very high and I have never in my 5 years living here had anything stole, or even felt threatened. Prices and service here seem to be a lot friendlier than most other places I have been too. I aslo think tat this is a very beautiful city. Overall, I think SA is a great place to live -- what are your opinions?
If you already live here, why do you care? If others like or dislike San Antonio will it sway your view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 06:36 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,521,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
If you already live here, why do you care? If others like or dislike San Antonio will it sway your view?
Thanks for asking this question two and a half years after I started this thread.

What others think of SA makes no impact on what I think about living here. At the time there was an overabundance of negative threads about the city and endless whining. I made this thread to get people thinking about something positive instead of feeding into a bitchfest.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:28 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,075,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativeblac View Post
I am viewing what everyone has said about living in San Antonio Texas?...LOL you people I am moving there to San Antonio Texas soon, I am currently residing in New Jersey just minutes away from New York City and, if you people think that it is bad to live in San Antonio? guess again; try even visiting here in New Jersey and New York and you would thank God you live in San Antonio Texas with the exception of East Texas past the 98th Meridian (lol). I think you people there in San Antonio Texas have it made, palm trees, river walk, laid back people, the food, slower pace of life, here in New Jersey you have the highest property taxes in the Nation, the homes start at nearly $400.000 property taxes are between $6000-$12000 dollars a year, what a joke. I have been living in New Jersey from Oklahoma for the past 12 years, I'm tired of the attitudes here, the fast pace everyone is in a hurry and they will cut you off in traffic just to go no where. I am glad I fell in love with San Antonio Texas...Yippee
wow -- exactly how soon after you arrive here do you want that wake-up call?

Old 09-20-2009, 10:34 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,685,998 times
He's in for a rude awakening, and I'm from NY!

Old 09-21-2009, 11:28 AM

689 posts, read 1,119,860 times
Living in SA for 29 years, I can tell you that it has its ups and downs just like any other place. I agree that for someone who is looking for that "big City feel" they will be kinda disappointed because the whole place still stubbornly hangs on to its small town roots from back in the day and I don't really see that changing. Lots like that and think that it's what makes SA unique compared to other cities like Houston, Dallas, and now even Austin in that mix. The nightlife has always been lacking here compared to other towns too. I mean, it could be worse but it's not how the 7th largest city in the nation should be. Don't know if it's the family friendly atmosphere or the years of being not noted for being a "college town" even though UTSA has come a very long way and I do think with football coming there will rapidly change this. As for the driving, the dude from NY will be surprised when he finds out that people here too cut you off and are in a hurry when there's nowhere to be. Also, there's plenty of road rage too. Overall, SA is better than most places if you're looking for certain things. It's all personal opinion in the end.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:30 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,598,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davi78239 View Post
I mean, it could be worse but it's not how the 7th largest city in the nation should be.
Why do people keep on saying this?
Anybody that says that, is saying that San Antonio is larger than Dallas.
List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-21-2009, 08:34 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,521,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Anybody that says that, is saying that San Antonio is larger than Dallas.
List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
San Antonio is larger than Dallas.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:37 PM

1,568 posts, read 2,784,094 times
I lived in SA from 97 to 05, loved every minute of it. Can't wait to get back.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:54 PM

86 posts, read 155,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
I lived in SA from 97 to 05, loved every minute of it. Can't wait to get back.

I agree. Being military and we moved around alot - mostly overseas - home was always where you hang your hat... Around 1989 we lived in Converse and bought a Ray Ellison starter home with our first child in tow. Dover had only three streets developed at the time and our 5 1/2 years made us feel like we were "at home". We finally found a place we could call home for good. We came down on orders for overseas again; and I cried....I hated to leave but we sold our home and went where the Army sent us. Out of all the places we checked out - including some very beautiful states on both coasts; nothing compared to our quality of life we had in San Antonio. So here we are; retired since 2002; having a senior in highschool and a college student liviing on the NW side of San Antonio. Our neighborhood has become our new "family" and I feel almost like I am a native Texan and proud of it. Although, I am now a naturalized US citizen, migrated to NY...traveled all over with the military....I now feel like San Antonio Texas embraced me and I embraced it. It's my home and I hope my Children will stay in Texas and embrace what it has to offer as well....There is a bit of everything for everyone in San Antonio.....

Old 09-22-2009, 07:54 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,811 posts, read 33,093,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Because it's a convenient way to prop up an argument in favor of anything San Antonio doesn't have that other major cities have. Unlike other cities of similar size, The San Antonio area's population density falls off sharply outside of the city limits and that is what makes both the SMSA (metro area) and the DMA (media market) much smaller than those of cities of comparable size. The latter two are what planners mostly look at in deciding whether big-city amenities can be supported here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or