U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:13 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,500,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
I notice on this forum many people focus on the negatives of the city and overlook the positives, which are in my opinion very plentiful. I do not think crime in SA is very high and I have never in my 5 years living here had anything stole, or even felt threatened. Prices and service here seem to be a lot friendlier than most other places I have been too. I aslo think tat this is a very beautiful city. Overall, I think SA is a great place to live -- what are your opinions?
{well, even though this thread has been around a while} It depends on how you are as a person, I suppose {What do you like? What do you NOT like?}.....I have actually heard a number of people over the years tell me things like that I'm "different from most other people I have met here in Texas", one guy from Alaska said.

Or that I "have a more European mindset; a way of thinking", a more widely-travelled Bostonian told me.....{infer what you will herein}

Maybe they were just "blowin' smoke"?

Anyhoo, I guess if you like cities with a reported 2-Million Population, weather that can get quite hot, and humid {or dry and arid at at times}, and if you like periodic floods then maybe you might really like it here.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,106 times
well i am thinking of joining th SAPD so we may be relocating me & my wife from a small suburb just a few miles south of the City (Chicago) not looking to move in the hood, maybe a nice diverse neighborhood with affordable prices so we a see & that All depends on if i get hired on with them or Border Patrol or Madison PD so its either,California,Madison Wisconsin, or Texas

Old 08-14-2011, 06:15 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,991,679 times
Let's put it this way.....I think that your choice of affordable neighborhoods will be much better in SA than Chicago.

Remember that there's always those that'll whine and cry about anything. Most realize that there's no utopia, and that ANY place will have its' good and bad - and it will be what you make of it.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:10 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,242,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredre3066 View Post
well i am thinking of joining th SAPD so we may be relocating me & my wife from a small suburb just a few miles south of the City (Chicago) not looking to move in the hood, maybe a nice diverse neighborhood with affordable prices so we a see & that All depends on if i get hired on with them or Border Patrol or Madison PD so its either,California,Madison Wisconsin, or Texas
I don't think there are any ifs about getting hired with SAPD. As long as you can pass the initial screening process (written test, physical, polygraph, psychological, financial responsibility), you'll be hired. SAPD is hiring continuously now, so they're desperate for new recruits.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:22 PM

422 posts, read 878,799 times
To me comparing Texas to more "prestigious" parts of the country is like comparing Dairy Queen to a French restaurant. San Antonio is cheap, crowded, hot, and full of simple people who are happy with simple things(and cheap and low quality). If you want some place that's cheap and/or easy to live in San Antonio's the place for you.

If you want quality, sophistication, intellectualism, nature, or things to do other than eat and drink you should look elsewhere.

When we were moving out of San Antonio last year, I remember how they had a whole long audio playing in the airport about the history of the airport and how trivial and boring it was, and I thought it summed up San Antonio perfectly. What other city thinks having hospitals is a unique achievement?

Old 08-15-2011, 03:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
To me comparing Texas to more "prestigious" parts of the country is like comparing Dairy Queen to a French restaurant. San Antonio is cheap, crowded, hot, and full of simple people who are happy with simple things(and cheap and low quality). If you want some place that's cheap and/or easy to live in San Antonio's the place for you.

If you want quality, sophistication, intellectualism, nature, or things to do other than eat and drink you should look elsewhere.

When we were moving out of San Antonio last year, I remember how they had a whole long audio playing in the airport about the history of the airport and how trivial and boring it was, and I thought it summed up San Antonio perfectly. What other city thinks having hospitals is a unique achievement?

Well quite frankly the whole country is "hot" right now. And to make such a blanket statement about San Antonio shows that you obviously had your mind made up a long time ago. To each his own; I personally LOVE SA and consider myself to be sophisticated and intellectual. Wherever it is that you are, I hope you are enjoying it cuz this city is better off without ya!

Old 09-07-2011, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,953 times
San Antonio is the only place that it can be 60 degrees in the morning, and rise to 110 by the afternoon...extremely bad place for allegins. Although, it does have many attractions and historic sights.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:24 PM

239 posts, read 387,511 times
Yes!

Old 09-07-2011, 05:32 PM

890 posts, read 1,526,467 times
I've lived in worse places/cities, but I've also lived in much better.....of course, "worse" and "better" is relative to my preferences. A few people were very envious of the fact that I was moving here, others not so much. Like anything, it's what you make of it.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:00 PM

581 posts, read 1,036,072 times
I've also lived various places throughout the world but I always come home to Texas. Some places I've been are considered sophisticated but I found boring and monochromatic. Everyone seemed too much into themselves. I've also been to places considered just a regular ho hum place and I've had the time of my life and vice versa. But it's all in your perspective and preference. I have family all over Texas but especially San Antonio so it's a special place in my heart.

Now with my fancy degrees hangin' on my wall and my fancy home I live in, I should reek of sophistication and intellectualism. But there is nothing that warms my heart more than firing up the grill, plopping down some steaks, and sitting out on the back porch, drinking a beer and watching the sunset while dinner's cooking. I'll take country sophistication any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or