Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:49 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,287,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Post you backyard pictures as well. Personally, I'd hate to see lemon trees disposed of. Perhaps they can be incorporated into a design? I like the roses suggestion, too. Sounds like dogs tracks are along the back fence. Perhaps a nice bulb garden might work there. LOL - I see I'm not the only one with an overzealous lawnmowing hubby... The flowers your hubby mowed over - were any of them bulbs? You could transplant them elsewhere. How about a vegetable garden? Nice oak tree to shade the house? Do you need space for kids or pets? Will you need a storage shed/dog house for hubby? Let's see what you have to work with!

As for the front yard, make the trip to Rainbow Gardens and check out all they have. You can see everything from the small 1 gal plants to the mature ones. You could put a nice flower garden in the front, too. Drive around your neighborhood or take a stroll and see what others have planted that you like. Try to go drought resistant if you can. Also, SAWS has a rebate plan for xeroscaping your lawn. You can get lots of ideas from their website and perhaps save some $$!

SAWS: Welcome HOME - Watersaver Landscape
Thanks for the input! We dont need a storage shed, but I would like a nice space for my kids and we have 2 dogs, though only 1 of them stays mostly outside. An oak tree sounds wonderful because other than the covered patio, there isnt much shade. I know it just looks awful, and it overwhelms me at the thought but it must be done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
What looks like a pallet (?) on the right could be a place for a shed or even a garden. What is in the planter box? Is it rooted into the ground or moveable?
I could easily see some sort of decking or outdoor living area incorporated into the landscape. Do you like to barbeque or sit outside on a nice evening?
You could use sand and flagstone to create that area. A nice flower or vegie garden out in the back where there's lots of sun and easy access to water, plus a nice view when you are sitting outside. You could put bench seating by the lemon trees, add some nice landscaping around the perimiter, too.

You might try searching online for ideas or check out a book from the library. TXRose had a good idea for taking measurements, etc and going to the nursery.

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions!
In the planter box is actually a lemon tree, the female I think is what someone told me because it produces the fruit and supposedly the other two are the males. The pallet is where I think a shed originally was but I guess the previous owners took the shed with them. Id like to keep it and do something with, make it larger like a deck for bbq like you mentioned. Thanks again for the input!

Old 02-28-2009, 08:55 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,016,965 times
That backyard has HUGE potential........and whatever you do, don't get rid of those lemon trees!!!! I would put a cute little bench in between the 2 and go nuts from there. It's going to take a lot of time (mostly) and sweat and $$$, but you can do it yourself and save. You could have a beautiful space back there!

My back yard was mud and leaves, with an old useless spa thingy back there--I say useless because the neighbor's kitchen window is directly overlooking where I would be out there soaking. Um, I can't do that to anyone! Some college kids who wanted it (?) came and ripped it out for me! Anyway, it's all brick now and looks like a different place! I'll post a pic later....gotta run!

Old 02-28-2009, 11:50 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,786,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
For the backyard I would have to look that info up because I dont know off the top of my head what the dimensions of the backyard are. And I dont have a map lying around. Whats in the yard today, lets see two lemon trees, a rock/cactus garden, and a torn down dog run. Admittedly its a disaster....I think for the backyard I may just have to hire someone. Its become one of those things were I dread looking out the window!
You won't find a map of this sort lying around - you'll have to get out the tape measure and make it. It's important because you'll need to take into account how big things like trees get once they mature (and you'll also need it when you start doing the homework on where buried utility lines are). The closer to using an actual scale you can get it, the better. Use graph paper and one box per foot, or 6 inches if your yard is small.

If you go ahead and map out where existing things are you'll have the added benefit of being able to better envision where things will go and just how big or small of spaces you're creating will be. Putting the work into better planning upfront will bring better results later.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
You won't find a map of this sort lying around - you'll have to get out the tape measure and make it. It's important because you'll need to take into account how big things like trees get once they mature (and you'll also need it when you start doing the homework on where buried utility lines are). The closer to using an actual scale you can get it, the better. Use graph paper and one box per foot, or 6 inches if your yard is small.

If you go ahead and map out where existing things are you'll have the added benefit of being able to better envision where things will go and just how big or small of spaces you're creating will be. Putting the work into better planning upfront will bring better results later.
Well sounds like the measuring is a job for my husband lol::

I managed to convince my brother in laws to come over and pick up all the debris and clear some stuff in the back for me - the power of persuasion (and a case of beer )

Old 02-28-2009, 10:41 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,551,751 times
I'd be very very sad to get rid of your lemon trees, but if you do, I'll take them if they can be transplanted! I miss the lemon trees I had growing up

You can do a lot with the space, I'd recommend doing some research - Neil Sperry's Texas Landscape Design book. Also the landscape design forums at gardenweb.com are very useful. And a visit to some nurseries. Rainbow gardens is great, I also love Fannicks - of WW White, south of Houston. They're online I think. They're a little less encylopedic than Rainbow Gardens, but they have everything and are very knowledgeable.

I feel your pain. Our .25 acre was a field of weeds neglected for 20+ years, though at one time it was the pride of the neighborhood. So it had some great trees, but the rest was destroyed thanks to neglect and dogs. It's been 4 years and we're still working on it.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:23 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,941,704 times
Your left set of shutters are uneven

Just getting some new grass in would be a huge difference! As other have said, the yard has a lot of potential.You can pretty much do whatever you want but plan on spending quite a few bucks!

Old 03-01-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Your left set of shutters are uneven

!
yes i know though admittedly I didnt realize it until I had the house power washed ill probably replace them though when the house is repainted over the Summer

Today we pulled out everything from the front. the TWO bushes were in fact FOUR and dreadful to pull out but we did it :whew: I spoke with someone at Arbolito's Nursery and he informed me that if I wanted to plant something like lantana, it would need to be in full sun and unfortunately this area is only partial sun depending on the time of day. It seemed like my entire neighborhood came out to watch us work on the front yard.......yardwork is a rarity in the hood

Old 03-01-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I'd be very very sad to get rid of your lemon trees, but if you do, I'll take them if they can be transplanted! I miss the lemon trees I had growing up
We decided to keep the lemon trees and incorporate them into whatever we end up doing in the back. I saw about five tiny lemons today!

Old 03-01-2009, 03:29 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,551,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
We decided to keep the lemon trees and incorporate them into whatever we end up doing in the back. I saw about five tiny lemons today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio