U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,816 posts, read 33,144,346 times

Advertisements

I've been to Verizon 3x. The two times I went that were in the summer, I came away feeling that a large outdoor venue didn't make much sense for big summer concerts in this part of the world. Around here, the usual summer daytime high temperature of 95 occurs just as the gates are opening. To me, it's no fun to sit in that heat for an hour or two, waiting for a band to take the stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 08:18 PM

4,081 posts, read 6,088,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I've been to Verizon 3x. The two times I went that were in the summer, I came away feeling that a large outdoor venue didn't make much sense for big summer concerts in this part of the world. Around here, the usual summer daytime high temperature of 95 occurs just as the gates are opening. To me, it's no fun to sit in that heat for an hour or two, waiting for a band to take the stage.
Give me an air-conditioned venue anytime...I too have been to outside concerts in the summertime. Stim-m-m-m-m-u-u-u-u-u-lating-g-g-gg...to say the least. Hard to enjoy the music when your sweating your tuckus off...

Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,474,156 times
The Verizon (VWA) had been on the market for two years, way before the economy hit the skid. It finally sold this past week and from reports will be resold to a group looking to use it for functions.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 PM

575 posts, read 1,260,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
I'm already seeing a few concert tours skip us this summer because of the closing of verison. I guess we are right back to how we were before we had that venue, and we always had to go to austin.
I saw many ozzfests there. I hate having to always go to austin.
I don't mind going to Austin it is a lot closer than Houston and Dallas. Why is it artist always go to Houston and Dallas but never San Antonio? They should just come to all 3 cities. We have two big venues the Alamodome and AT&T Center if an artist is doing a big arena show. Than for smaller venues they could use the Freeman Coliseum or one of the theaters. San Antonio is just as good of a place to have a concert as Houston and Dallas.

Back on topic, I saw a few concerts at the Verizon and it was usually at night time. I went there for a March of Dimes walk one time in the morning. It is not very good for day time concerts in the heat of summer. Also it is just out in the middle of nowhere with no place to eat or hang out after the concert.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:08 PM

604 posts, read 1,668,594 times
wait, so no more Verizon Amphitheatre?!

Old 03-02-2009, 06:39 AM

915 posts, read 1,658,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
Why is it artist always go to Houston and Dallas but never San Antonio?
San Antonians are frugal and rarely fill a venue @ the (arguably very high) current ticket rates. Austin, although smaller, has a healthy population of college students/graduates and professionals with disposable income. Houston and Dallas obviously have much larger metro areas to draw a crowd from. It doesn't hurt they both have a deeper base of high income jobs.
What I don't understand is how we get passed over for El Paso (hello, Morrissey)!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:06 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,816 posts, read 33,144,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSA_wxatUIW View Post
wait, so no more Verizon Amphitheatre?!
No, because the property has been sold and the sale included a 20-year restriction that it can't be used as a concert venue.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:12 AM

3,770 posts, read 7,278,280 times
I thought I read somewhere the new company is hoping to sell it to a church

Old 03-02-2009, 10:13 AM

2,027 posts, read 6,354,641 times
Watched Obama give a speech there

Old 03-02-2009, 06:44 PM

4 posts, read 7,892 times
Somebody build something close to town or 410. Next to bars and other entertainment. People need to do some thinking when they build large places. Also now ruins our chance for slot machines now in tx.ledgistlature
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio