Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:10 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times

Advertisements

November 2008.

Corpus Christi, TX | KRISTV.COM |Whataburger Headquarters To Move To San Antonio (http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?s=9395795 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 01:36 PM

624 posts, read 906,221 times
I think Corpus Christi being called little SA has to do with proximity to San Antonio and both connected by IH 37 and little else, I have never even heard of the term. Corpus is "Sparkling City by the Sea" but I live is SA.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:48 PM

378 posts, read 1,442,133 times
Well the definition of blue collar is any job based on a hourly wage. While a White collar job is based on a yearly salary. Plus compared to other cities SA does feel more like a small blue collar town rather then a white collar metropolis. Plus the OP is talking about perception of the population not comparisons between the progress each city is making. Though I do see your point in the growing SA metro and the stagnant CC metro, but the vibes overall are similar. They both have that laid back feeling rather then a hustle and bustle big city feel.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:59 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
Well the definition of blue collar is any job based on a hourly wage. While a White collar job is based on a yearly salary. Plus compared to other cities SA does feel more like a small blue collar town rather then a white collar metropolis.
Not true about about the definition being salary versus wage.

White versus blue has to do with the type of work one does not the way they receive their compensation.

The bottom line fact is, SA has more white collar jobs than blue.

Quote:
Though I do see your point in the growing SA metro and the stagnant CC metro, but the vibes overall are similar.
It more than just metro growth. The only similarities the two have in common are their very laid back atmospheres... and I guess 37.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:40 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,673 times
sa is similarto cc in its backwards thinking. not very progressive. For many reason to list a few. no metro/rail system, no major airline hub, loss of "white collar jobs" to dallas houston and even austin, tallest building built in 1968. STAGNATE

Old 03-05-2009, 08:26 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,912 times
Wehotex, an old doctor friend of mine whol lived in SA in the 1950s said that during that time, Mexicans and Mexican-Americans were not allowed into most restaurants in SA either.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:03 AM

452 posts, read 1,027,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Wehotex, an old doctor friend of mine whol lived in SA in the 1950s said that during that time, Mexicans and Mexican-Americans were not allowed into most restaurants in SA either.
And this is news? This is South Texas. Latinos in South Texas share a similar history with Blacks in the South. Blatant discrimination, mistreatment, on so on and so forth. Pick up an unbiased Texas history book and read for yourself.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:25 AM

399 posts, read 1,139,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
The bottom line fact is, SA has more white collar jobs than blue.
What is your source for this "fact?" I like SA but I'd have to say the employment picture is as much like Corpus as it is like Houston. When I think of corporate (white collar) cities, I think of Houston, Chicago not SA.

With that said, SA does have a significantly different feel than Corpus. Though I also like Corpus.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:44 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 713 to 210 View Post
What is your source for this "fact?"
Official employment figures easily accessible by anyone online.

Quote:
I like SA but I'd have to say the employment picture is as much like Corpus as it is like Houston. When I think of corporate (white collar) cities, I think of Houston, Chicago not SA.
You don't have to be a megalopolis corporate city to be white collar.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:16 PM

399 posts, read 1,139,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Official employment figures easily accessible by anyone online.
Typically when you make a statement referencing "facts" online, you provide the source of those facts. I'd be interested to see yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio