Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:23 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,962,599 times

Advertisements

My thoughts exactly, mama. I'm sorry, but my first reaction won't be a compliment on a tagger's creative use of green on a fence in my neighborhood.

--Dim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 01:15 PM

504 posts, read 1,456,948 times
because i get shat done! i broke off from city council and rejuvenated an area that has long been run over and ignored by politicians. even the one's i worked for. they told me we were to poor to give out scholarships...we did that, they told us no one would help us clean graffiti...we had 95 students from Burbank HS volunteer, we have businesses pitching in to buy os a commercial spray gun to keep us effective in fighting graff, they told us the cops wouldnt care to help...our officers bring us crime data every month and even patrol our streets when they are off-duty, yeah you heard that right!!!! no pay from private or public sources. they do it upon request numerous times a month at times they just show up and keep tabs on their off days.

i am now working on many fundraisers and hope to give at least $2500 in scholarships next year which is easily obtainable. we are also putting together a National Night Out event which includes the SAPD Helicopter and corporate sponsorship. all of this in the southside of san antonio in the palm heights area...oh yeah, we dont charge a HOA fee. need help with an issue? let me know, i can get stuff done, but it also takes your input and dedication.

thats the problem with the voters and the politicians alike, they are your classic lazy american's like yourselves
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
I know what apathy means. My comment about apathy was that it's on the part of the politicians. Once they get into office, all the campaign promises fly out the window. They're all full of Moderator cut: edited, as far as I'm concerned. They all have their own reasons for wanting to be in office and it has absolutely nothing with serving the community.

However, as Montirob said, citizens shouldn't have to beg and plead for basic services. These should be provided to taxpaying citizens regardless of whether we pound on doors, send letters, etc. If we cannot depend on the people we've voted into office to do their jobs and take care of their constituents, why should we trust some peon who works for them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I agree..I've been to meetings where these people (politicians) yawned, rolled their eyes and displayed general signs of boredom during the entire time!
I call BS , quest....

Last edited by da jammer; 07-24-2008 at 01:29 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 01:21 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
"""thats the problem with the voters and the politicians alike, they are your classic lazy american's like yourselves""""

This adds a lot to the discussion..thanks for playing.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:37 PM

well lets see, "lets complain on a forum and then attack someone who genuinely wants to help us"

"lets call ourself open minded and friendly, yet cast this guy into the group of hypocrites that politicians are without taking the time to hear him out, seek his aid, or check the validity of his statements"

create change...and not not make believe obama change, some real change at our municipal level. my pet peeve is the school systems in our fair city. do we really need 17 school districts? can you say jim crow laws or gerrymandering for a racial advantage?

Old 07-24-2008, 01:59 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210 View Post
well lets see, "lets complain on a forum and then attack someone who genuinely wants to help us"

"lets call ourself open minded and friendly, yet cast this guy into the group of hypocrites that politicians are without taking the time to hear him out, seek his aid, or check the validity of his statements"

create change...and not not make believe obama change, some real change at our municipal level. my pet peeve is the school systems in our fair city. do we really need 17 school districts? can you say jim crow laws or gerrymandering for a racial advantage?

I just want to make sure I understand how things work. If you want to go to a good public school you have to live in that district, correct? If you can not afford to live in a district that has good schools then you dont get as good of an education. Am I right so far? So basically if you are poor you have to settle on poor education? Shouldnt all children in our city have the same opportunities?. Could this be part of the reason the rich get richer and the poor get poorer?

I want my kids to go to a Northside school but I can only afford to live in the Harlandale district. So while the Reagan Band has an 18 wheeler for the band equipment Harlandale cant afford to pay the band directors and has had the same band hall for at least 30 years.

I wouldnt mind driving across town to have him go to a better school but cant. We all live in San Antonio dont we? Why cant we pick where our kids go to school instead of not having any choice in the matter?

Its not fair that just cause you cant afford higher taxes that you cant get a better education!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:05 PM

Dube, you have a pm...education issue is in another thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:25 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,962,599 times
I'm sorry, but if you really want us "lazy Americans" to start effecting change at the local level, I think some folks in this gun-totin' town (I mean that in a good way) might just change things in a way you didn't expect.

We elect local city officials to effect change--after all, isn't that what those running for office tell us they'll do? If that doesn't work, and we have to do it ourselves, the politicians must be willing to step back and let us "get things done."

--Dim

Old 07-24-2008, 02:42 PM

we have to do it ourselves, the politicians must be willing to step back and let us "get things done."

exactly!
you elect city council members who do not get paid more than their $20 a meeting, who of course in effect have their "own" agenda. at least when you do something for your community on a volunteer basis the benefits are almost immediate and thus much more fulfilling.

i was raised by the fact that the government was not going to look out for my best interests, even when i worked at city hall i understood this principle. i am the offspring of a woman who fought prejudice corporations like Joske's and won, found money to rebuild Lowell MS, forced the city to build Collins Garden Library, forced the city to build infrastructure in the southside when elected politicians were on the take. my father is a migrant farm worker with 3rd grade education, he fought city hall because they illegally took his land from him and made it part of Zarzamora frontage road. he fought city hall and eventhough he speaks no english he won. he also bought a home in an area that was predominantly white in the 60's and never moved.

i fear no man or woman and do not take no for an answer. i also love a challenge and work my hardest to see that dumbfounded look on the average citizens face when i can show them how to accomplish their own goals.

some think i am some ivy league punk, but a year and a half ago i was a blue collar worker at custom sounds while volunteering on the side. i have been able to go much farther than that at this point.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:32 PM

841 posts, read 1,746,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210 View Post
i fear no man or woman and do not take no for an answer. i also love a challenge and work my hardest to see that dumbfounded look on the average citizens face when i can show them how to accomplish their own goals.
You know, most of us just go about helping out without expecting a reward and without talking down to others. Whenever I hear someone say "I did this", it me makes think that their sole interest is in resume building.

Congrats on making a difference, but please don't beat us over the head with it. The humble ones are always the ones most respected in the end.

Last edited by Montirob; 07-24-2008 at 04:42 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 04:52 PM

good, resume building is also good. especially when your direction in life is to serve the community. wouldnt you want a manager for a nonprofit or community services organization to have the experience to not launder money, mistreat those needing help, and so on?

i quit my city job to volunteer time to my community and pursue my education, because too many people have been on the take. what i do for free and the money i raise for others only intills fear in the politician who is so insecure that i may come after their job.

i want to remain effective and this is the best way i can do it. i am just enthusiastic and showing people there is a way. i grew up pretty hard man,friends in jail, dead, and luckily some success stories, but most importantly i have a keen sense of right and wrong and know the path i want to lead...without getting any religious beliefs involved. i know, i know, i probably walk a thin line with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio