U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2007, 09:09 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
343 posts, read 1,174,282 times
Reputation: 111

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
I guess itís like that saying about rock music. If itís too loud then you're too old. But I know you people are talking about (and hating) straight vandalism and not graffiti art. You all do know how influential graffiti is though, right? I mean look at the Via buses that have wrap around advertising, where do you think they got that idea from? Duh.
Art and music are in the eyes and ears of each individual. I enjoy all kinds of music. Rock, rap, country, classical, tejano, norteno...etc and I usually drive with the music full blast. But if someone pulls up next to me with their music louder than mine, I can raise my window. If someone tags a wall or fence, the owner of that property has to see it whether he/she likes it or not. Then they have to spend time and money to clean it up.

And I understand your point about graffiti and tagging. Graffiti can be nice if done creatively but not on someone's property without permission. Tagging on the other hand is vandalism. These are the ones that should really be punished. And it usually starts with the parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2007, 12:28 PM
 
472 posts, read 1,601,455 times
Reputation: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoyway View Post
Art and music are in the eyes and ears of each individual. I enjoy all kinds of music. Rock, rap, country, classical, tejano, norteno...etc and I usually drive with the music full blast. But if someone pulls up next to me with their music louder than mine, I can raise my window. If someone tags a wall or fence, the owner of that property has to see it whether he/she likes it or not. Then they have to spend time and money to clean it up.

And I understand your point about graffiti and tagging. Graffiti can be nice if done creatively but not on someone's property without permission. Tagging on the other hand is vandalism. These are the ones that should really be punished. And it usually starts with the parents.
Finally a voice of reason. I wish everyone understoond that there is a difference. That has really been my only point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2007, 01:29 PM
 
Location: I live near Ingram Park Mall
7 posts, read 15,837 times
Reputation: 11
I agree with cutting off their fingers. I know it sounds harsh but seeing that crap all over the city is just ugly. I live near the Timberhill and Wurzbach area and drive next to the new bridge, it is tagged up and the bridge is not even completed yet! So something needs to happen to these kids to make them stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2007, 02:38 PM
 
472 posts, read 1,601,455 times
Reputation: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by innohsentgrl View Post
I agree with cutting off their fingers. I know it sounds harsh but seeing that crap all over the city is just ugly. I live near the Timberhill and Wurzbach area and drive next to the new bridge, it is tagged up and the bridge is not even completed yet! So something needs to happen to these kids to make them stop.
Yeah, give them a place to do it legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Rockin' The TriCities
 
n/a posts
Quote:
I agree with cutting off their fingers.
Please tell me you mean this facetiously, and aren't advocating a return to the Code of Hammurabi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 05:17 PM
 
3 posts, read 6,373 times
Reputation: 10
Default hello

Hello there and yes i must agree on what mostly u are saying graffiti is more common now these day we see it every wear frm bus stops to famous places ext...But idots these kids are not you see because i am one of those idiots u speak so vanely about graffiti is more common now a days because of the way these kids are growing up it is a way to express a new option in what people are afraid to lable as art we have to understand that it is not a problem that is going to go away we need to find a soulution to help the younger kids understand the cosqences and the postive out comes by placeing a sort of extra cricular activety for these kids to express there so common and new generation of art if we can give them a better understanding and a place to learn have hands on and vent ther artistic abillitys i feel we will have less vandlism and more postive outcomes because the fact of the matter is what kids are seeing on tv now days on cool clothing lines that they feel is cool is why they are trying to emtate what they feel is to be cool but what they dnt kno is that there is a better way and we need to show them we need more people to to understand what these kids are into now a days is not gonna go away we see it every were frm rap videos to clothing and it because you see it there thats the same reason why u see it in our schools what these kids do not know is that there are people makeing a profit off this so called idot excuse for art as u might say so we need to start in the schools and teach these ''idiots'' (rite) the postives and negitives my soulution every school with the exception of a few who cant afford an art class should have a lesson.. (like i do).. on graffitti art the postives and negitives ext....... Moderator cut: personal






Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoyway View Post
It seems that finally the graffiti problem has gotten more attention.

I have lived here in San Antonio for about 3 years now but it seems lately I have seen more graffiti.

Yesterday and the day before I saw on the news about the graffiti and vandalism at the drive inn and the Mission's Trail.

I don't know what type of punishment policy the city has but it needs some more teeth.

The problem starts at the home of these idiots. You have to start and wonder what is causing the decay of our society. What makes these idiots do these acts of vandalism?

When and if these idiots are caught, they and their parents should be punished. If I find out kids are doing these things, I know I will have to remedy the damage but then my kids will have to answer to me.

Make the parents pay for the damage, the idiots who did the damage will have to fix it and do community service by cleaning up the work of other idiots, the idiots will have to wears signs that say "I am an Idiot Tagger" and will stand at intersections with a lot of traffic and their home will have a big sign that reads "Here Lives an Idiot Tagger!" Of course all this will be in english and spanish.

Finally, if these idiots are caught again, they will be subjected to all of the above but will be tatooed in pink with a sign that says, "I Luv Graffiti".

Kind of like the scarlet letter.

Last edited by Hoosier; 11-30-2007 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: personal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 08:08 PM
 
70 posts, read 408,962 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoyway View Post
I came from a small city and there was a problem with graffiti a few years ago.

What the city did was fine the idiot and parents, they had to remove or paint over the graffiti and community service for a couple of weekends for the idiot.

When the parents started to feel it in their pockets and their shoulders, the graffiti problem went down significantly. It's still there but not as bad as it was.

Also, education will play a big role in putting a stop to this.

The problem is catching these idiots.
It's not all taggers that do it cause they are gangsters there are different tags there are gang tags which are the ones you are mad with cause these are the ugly writings that probably took 5 seconds to finish which is about 75% of all the tagging here then there is the artistic taging that is the true tagging this is not vandelism but a work of art that is of modern times it is the voice of a people that wants to be heard and some are tributes to the died who past away. It's the gang tagging that makes tagging look so ugly and bad when it's just a art like all other arts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2007, 02:37 PM
 
3 posts, read 6,373 times
Reputation: 10
Hello there and yes i must agree on what mostly u are saying graffiti is more common now these day we see it every wear frm bus stops to famous places ext...But idots these kids are not you see because i am one of those idiots u speak so vanely about graffiti is more common now a days because of the way these kids are growing up it is a way to express a new option in what people are afraid to lable as art we have to understand that it is not a problem that is going to go away we need to find a soulution to help the younger kids understand the cosqences and the postive out comes by placeing a sort of extra cricular activety for these kids to express there so common and new generation of art if we can give them a better understanding and a place to learn have hands on and vent ther artistic abillitys i feel we will have less vandlism and more postive outcomes because the fact of the matter is what kids are seeing on tv now days on cool clothing lines that they feel is cool is why they are trying to emtate what they feel is to be cool but what they dnt kno is that there is a better way and we need to show them we need more people to to understand what these kids are into now a days is not gonna go away we see it every were frm rap videos to clothing and it because you see it there thats the same reason why u see it in our schools what these kids do not know is that there are people makeing a profit off this so called idot excuse for art as u might say so we need to start in the schools and teach these ''idiots'' (rite) the postives and negitives my soulution every school with the exception of a few who cant afford an art class should have a lesson.. (like i do).. on graffitti art the postives and negitives ext....... and that way all the idiots can be smart like u...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2007, 02:40 PM
 
3 posts, read 6,373 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoyway View Post
Art and music are in the eyes and ears of each individual. I enjoy all kinds of music. Rock, rap, country, classical, tejano, norteno...etc and I usually drive with the music full blast. But if someone pulls up next to me with their music louder than mine, I can raise my window. If someone tags a wall or fence, the owner of that property has to see it whether he/she likes it or not. Then they have to spend time and money to clean it up.

And I understand your point about graffiti and tagging. Graffiti can be nice if done creatively but not on someone's property without permission. Tagging on the other hand is vandalism. These are the ones that should really be punished. And it usually starts with the parents.
Hello there and yes i must agree on what mostly u are saying graffiti is more common now these day we see it every wear frm bus stops to famous places ext...But idots these kids are not you see because i am one of those idiots u speak so vanely about graffiti is more common now a days because of the way these kids are growing up it is a way to express a new option in what people are afraid to lable as art we have to understand that it is not a problem that is going to go away we need to find a soulution to help the younger kids understand the cosqences and the postive out comes by placeing a sort of extra cricular activety for these kids to express there so common and new generation of art if we can give them a better understanding and a place to learn have hands on and vent ther artistic abillitys i feel we will have less vandlism and more postive outcomes because the fact of the matter is what kids are seeing on tv now days on cool clothing lines that they feel is cool is why they are trying to emtate what they feel is to be cool but what they dnt kno is that there is a better way and we need to show them we need more people to to understand what these kids are into now a days is not gonna go away we see it every were frm rap videos to clothing and it because you see it there thats the same reason why u see it in our schools what these kids do not know is that there are people makeing a profit off this so called idot excuse for art as u might say so we need to start in the schools and teach these ''idiots'' (rite) the postives and negitives my soulution every school with the exception of a few who cant afford an art class should have a lesson.. (like i do).. on graffitti art the postives and negitives ext....... and that way all the idiots can be smart like u...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2007, 08:54 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
343 posts, read 1,174,282 times
Reputation: 111
So let me try to understand what you wrote.

Since what these kids are doing is something cool to them and they consider art, we need to accomodate their needs. We (residents) need to accept that this is art and learn to appreciate it. Of course it doesn't matter that it's done on private property. These poor souls need to express their artistic side on any property they can find. I am so happy so see that rap videos are teaching great values.

I think you are right. You know, I am an avid practitioner of Santeria. I really enjoy killing chickens, hanging their feet while the blood is still dripping and then pour different items into a hot couldren. Then I write sayings on the walls in blood or b/m. (Mierda) And I think this is an art that I need to express it to everyone.

How about I go to your house and do it there? You won't mind since you are saying that we need to allow taggers/graffiti artists to display their art anywhere.

I understand that these kids want to express their artistic side but they shouldn't do it on private or public property. Imagine if everyone did the same thing. Todo seria un desmadre. And some of this crap is not art. I took art in middle school and high school and that's where I did my art. I didn't tag walls, light poles, bridge walls, etc.

Just because a few persons have a certain belief, it doesn't mean they need to shove it down other person's throats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:03 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top