Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:25 AM

343 posts, read 1,305,216 times

Advertisements

It seems that finally the graffiti problem has gotten more attention.

I have lived here in San Antonio for about 3 years now but it seems lately I have seen more graffiti.

Yesterday and the day before I saw on the news about the graffiti and vandalism at the drive inn and the Mission's Trail.

I don't know what type of punishment policy the city has but it needs some more teeth.

The problem starts at the home of these idiots. You have to start and wonder what is causing the decay of our society. What makes these idiots do these acts of vandalism?

When and if these idiots are caught, they and their parents should be punished. If I find out kids are doing these things, I know I will have to remedy the damage but then my kids will have to answer to me.

Make the parents pay for the damage, the idiots who did the damage will have to fix it and do community service by cleaning up the work of other idiots, the idiots will have to wears signs that say "I am an Idiot Tagger" and will stand at intersections with a lot of traffic and their home will have a big sign that reads "Here Lives an Idiot Tagger!" Of course all this will be in english and spanish.

Finally, if these idiots are caught again, they will be subjected to all of the above but will be tatooed in pink with a sign that says, "I Luv Graffiti".

Kind of like the scarlet letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 10:24 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoyway View Post
Finally, if these idiots are caught again, they will be subjected to all of the above but will be tatooed in pink with a sign that says, "I Luv Graffiti".
Kind of like the scarlet letter.
Something tells me they might already have these tatoos!

I saw the story last night too and it is sickening. It's like animals that mark their territory. I think the camera's will help, but not at taxpayers expense. Maybe these perps should pay for a new camera for each offense.

On a side note....serious graffiti has not been a huge problem in SA until recent years...at least not like other big cities. I'm curious to how other large metropolitan areas have handled this problem? Are there any new neighbors here from big cities that have seen any solutions that have worked?

Old 03-21-2007, 10:58 AM

343 posts, read 1,305,216 times
I came from a small city and there was a problem with graffiti a few years ago.

What the city did was fine the idiot and parents, they had to remove or paint over the graffiti and community service for a couple of weekends for the idiot.

When the parents started to feel it in their pockets and their shoulders, the graffiti problem went down significantly. It's still there but not as bad as it was.

Also, education will play a big role in putting a stop to this.

The problem is catching these idiots.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:40 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
San Antonio does not have nearly as much graffiti as Los Angeles has.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:44 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoyway View Post
I came from a small city and there was a problem with graffiti a few years ago.

What the city did was fine the idiot and parents, they had to remove or paint over the graffiti and community service for a couple of weekends for the idiot.

When the parents started to feel it in their pockets and their shoulders, the graffiti problem went down significantly. It's still there but not as bad as it was.

Also, education will play a big role in putting a stop to this.

The problem is catching these idiots.
Sadly, I'm afraid that a lot of this stuff is done by adults (at least of "legal" age). I'm all for serious community service to take the burden off the tax payer. However, painting over graffiti may seem like fun to them.....and in the case on the news last night, painting over new limestone walls isn't restoring the property....it will be as ugly as the graffiti. I think they should be sent to the East Side Cemetery complex to pick weeds and clean up litter, vandalized property and patch potholes in the more disadvantaged neighborhoods. Let them clean up abandoned "crack houses" that are infested with rats and cockroaches. It might even be their own HOUSE!

Old 03-21-2007, 12:55 PM

63 posts, read 239,062 times
Yosoyway,

I started a similar thread not too long ago regarding graffiti:

Graffiti

No too long after I posted it some vandals or "idiots" as you referr to them
tagged my fence, along with my neighbors fence (see pix posted).

I did some extensive research and after getting no where with the city or HOA, I took matters into my own hands. I removed the graffiti, they came back one more time and I removed it again. Whoever it was saw they were waisting their time and spray paint and has apparently moved on. They haven't been back since.
I would imagine the same would apply to everywhere else. It would just take some time, patience, and money to combat it.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:29 PM

797 posts, read 2,991,964 times
We all could do more, and ignoring it doesn't help. The city needs to respond more quickly and clean it up as soon as possible. The longer it goes on display the more it feeds the artists ego to do more. If you own a business that gets tagged fix it quickly, DO NOT ignore it. If your private property gets tagged, fix it, DO NOT ignore it. Catch em' if you can and report every incident. Fines and community service hours could go a long way to cleaning up much of the city.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:39 PM

380 posts, read 1,279,807 times
Parents should pay a $1000.00 fine
Parents and children should (for a month on the weekends) fixed damaged property

Only when you hold the parents accountable will the children change their ways. It all starts when the kids are young, raise them right, and teach them discipline.

My opinion of course.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:48 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
I recommend cutting off the index finger of the tagger when caught.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:54 PM

380 posts, read 1,279,807 times
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/politics/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio