U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 08:04 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,683 times

Advertisements

Don't forget newcomer Oloroso. It's Med-American fusion and, aside from sometimes being a bit too ambitious, very, very good. Small dining room, but a great outside patio for a people-watching dinner.

Home Page

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 10:30 PM

790 posts, read 3,616,237 times
Enough said already about Rosario's. I really like Madhatter's for lunch... somewhat Austin-like. Skip La Focaccia... every time I hear someone say it's fantastic, I wonder if they've ever actually had good/real Italian food. La Frite rocks! Azuca is fun, and while the food isn't absolutely fantastic, it's the closest to Caribbean-style food you'll find in the downtown area.

Hmm... what did I miss? Tito's, Blue Star Brewery and Joe Blues all have fairly forgettable food, but are fun places to hang out. My experience at China Latina was pretty disappointing, but I'd been hoping for good Asian fusion. What our waiter told us was that it's regular Chinese food made by a Mexican in the kitchen, so that's where the Latina part came from (LOL). Have not tried Oloroso yet but it's on the list - have heard wonderful things.

And my favorite of all... weekend morning breakfast on the patio at the Guenther House. Food - good, not amazing (except those incredible pecan sticky rolls). But the atmosphere? Pure San Antonio. Love it!

Old 03-08-2009, 12:29 AM

674 posts, read 1,617,024 times
Oooh, I saw Oloroso and Madhatter's as well!

I'm making a list.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:46 PM

38 posts, read 104,747 times
Default S. Alamo Restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
We went down to First Friday last night. We'd already eaten (and thankfully so, b/c it's packed down there!), so we didn't go to any of the places down there. But would you recommend any of those places for us on a different night? We'd like to go back in daylight to look at the neat homes in the area.
I can't remember all the names on the street...Casbeer's, La Foccacia, a couple Tex-Mex places? What's good/bad down there?

Thanks!
S. Alamo has the greatest concentration of great, local restaurants in town, by far. Rosario's - great upper scale mexican. Tito's - great tex-mex (in tradition of the late great Mario's, where DT UTSA now sits). Cascabel - some of the best interior Mexican in town (just around corner on S. St. Mary's). El Mirador - another upscale mexican, more high end than Rosarios (fish, steaks, etc.). Le Frite is one of the best, on same level as Bistro Vatel in Olmos Park but more laid back/comfortable. Azuca is Latin/S. American with great ceviche/fish/steaks and awesome corn bread. La Focacia - good, old line italian food (better than Paesano's for sure, but not as authentic as Tre Tratoria). Madhatter's is one of the best for breakfast, lunch (salads/sandwiches) with great teas, coffee and loads of deserts. Casbeers has some of the best enchiladas in town but, aside from that and nachos, is more of a home cooking and burgers place, all of it great (particularly the onion rings) and also has some of the best live Americana music in town. Oloroso is higher end and recently named the #2 best new restaurant in Texas by Texas Monthly magazine. China Latina is regular Chinese from the Mencius group. Guenther House (S Alamo at River) is a great breakfast place, leaning more to eggs and lots of breads, that gets fairly crowded. Great, old King William atmosphere. In Blue Star, Blue Star Brewpub is cities oldest brew pub with steaks, burgers, etc. At La Tuna on Probandt St. is La Tuna Grill, high end chef with gourmet burgers and other dishes. All of these are basically in walking distance of each other. Take that Austin!

Old 03-08-2009, 04:15 PM

2,355 posts, read 5,405,343 times
Do not and i mean do not go to El Mirador, their food is horrible. Went there a few weeks ago and left feeling ripped off, the food was very warm (not hot) and the service was terrible. I would go to Rosario's in a heartbeat, at least at Rosario's I left full and not hungry.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:48 PM

** That ** is why I recognized Oloroso! Texas Monthly! I kept racking my brain wondering why the name felt familiar to me. LOL

I am so excited to go out to eat. Sheesh I might have to get a part time job to support our eating out, and I'll have to walk to work to burn the extra calories. LOL

Old 03-08-2009, 10:59 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,356,445 times
I love my neighborhood

La Frite - our favourite table in SA
Azuca - not the best ever but pretty darned good. Excellent Carib/Latin fusion type fare
Rosario's - eh. Ok, not fabulous not bad. Too crowded to bother.
Cascabel - used to LOVE LOVE LOVE. Still excellent, but not as amazing as it was when they opened
China Latina - eh. Not so interesting. The couple who own it are hispanic and chinese. I believe same owners or part owners of Rosario's (who also own part of Acenar, with Biga's owners - at least when it first opened, not sure if there have been changes)
Madhatter's - I like, husband not so much. Quality not what it used to be as prices have gone up, but still good and great atmosphere
Tito's - I haven't been, only because I choose Taco Haven. I heard rave reviews
Oloroso - not yet. Need to try it.
La Foccacia - eh. Not fabulous Italian, but enjoyable fare.
Blue Star - used to be better food. Decent pub grub Good beer
La Tuna - had beer but not the grill
El Mirador - very nice TexMex. Good all around (tho I still prefer Taco Haven)
Casbeers - ok food, go for the music
Casa Chiapas - been awhile since I've been, was nice. Friends like it.
Tim's Country Kitchen - everyone raves. I'm not a fan of southern/country food, so haven't tried it. He's started a Farmers & Artisan's market though, so I will be a regular.
Taco Haven (S. Presa) - best tacos ever. Everything else decent, but tacos. mmmmm. Tacos. Homemade flour and corn tortillas.
Bubblehead (S. Presa)- fabulous drinks, excellent service, wonderful place
Guenther House - great atmosphere, crappy service and so-so food (but I've only been a couple of times, maybe I had bad luck)
El Sol bakery and cafe (S. Presa) excellent diabetic friendly baked goods, wonderful sandwiches, and real European Coffee (owner is from Spain).

Oh yeah, and since we just walk to any of these, we don't worry about eating too much

Old 03-11-2009, 08:09 AM

We went to Azuca yesterday. It was our second choice, because La Frite didn't open until 6 and we were downtown with the kids and got there around 4:30 (early, I know, but it is better to eat early with our kids...less wait). It was good. At first, they gave us the lunch menu, which was confusing becasue there was only one page that said "lunch menu". So we ordered an appetizer and meals. Then the server came back and gave us the dinner menus. But what I had wanted on the lunch menu was not on the dinner menu. That was frustrating b/c once I had ordered, that was what I wanted. LOL

Old 03-11-2009, 02:12 PM

915 posts, read 1,658,140 times
I went to Frite fully expecting it to miss the mark. I've eaten at numerous great Belgian restaurants over the years in NYC and find the chef's other restaurants to be just okay.

I had the moules frites curry and they were outstanding. Frites were perfect to my taste. Moules were perfectly cooked and tasted fresh. A friend's hangar steak, while not perfect, was very good. The wine list is small but gets the job done. I look forward to going back.

Rosario's is good, but i've never been blown away. The atmosphere and drinks are what normally come to mind.

Taco Haven- Very good greasy spoon Mexican. Ralphie's tacos are good.

Foccacia - have not been, but never heard a good thing about the food.

Last edited by jwebtx; 03-11-2009 at 02:36 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,080 times
tito's has solid breakfast and really good deals on early bird breakfast tacos. i recommend that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or