U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 10:05 AM

3,770 posts, read 7,274,789 times

Advertisements

I know this isnt on the NWSide, but the HEB Plus on Zarzamora is really organized, clean, and the employees are always helpful and nice. You can also find some items there that sometimes aren't available at other HEBs.

I despise the HEB off Valley Hi. It is so small and everyone in the area goes there so its always packed. I heard a rumor they were going to tear it down and make the Westlakes HEB an HEB Plus. I dont know how true that is though I wish they would just make a regular HEB in Valley Hi instead of that small, "pantry" HEB.

Last edited by perticusrex; 03-08-2009 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: are to aren't
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:24 AM

247 posts, read 741,471 times
I'm with in 2 miles of the HEB Plus at 1604 & Blanco yet I refuse to shop there. It's way too crowded, the aisles are hard to get through and the area around produce & bakery is stuffed with crap in the middle making it hard to get around.
I've been going to the newest one that replaced the Huebner/Shavano area one. It's at HEB Alon Towne Center, Wurzbach & NW Military. I love the layout of the store, it doesn't have the crowds that HEB Plus has, I just about ate lunch there yesterday by having all the freebies.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:34 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,711,684 times
Obviously there are a lot of older HEB's that need a face lift...but I can't recall being in one that is "nasty". And the Lincoln Heights remodel is incredible. Back lit shelving in some of the isles....and re-configured...better layout.

My only gripe with HEB is that they don't have a consistent layout. If I'm across town and want to run in to pick up a couple of items, it's like visiting a new country! I NEED A MAP!!!

As far as Walmart....I used to never go in because the floors even seemed sticky! ICK! But I agree with Sapphire....they have really raised the standards......Austin Hwy Walmart is decent, but it's still fairly new (several years).

Just don't make the mistake of going shopping at Walmart Easter weekend. I made the mistake of running into the Walmart on 281 and Sunset to pick up some potted plants....OMG....every basket in the store was filled to the brim with GIGANTIC pre-made Easter baskets, lawn furniture, bags of charcoal and the kitchen sink. I think some people brought their entire extended family...cousins too and the family dog!

Old 03-08-2009, 11:40 AM

6,139 posts, read 8,596,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I know this isnt on the NWSide, but the HEB Plus on Zarzamora is really organized, clean, and the employees are always helpful and nice. You can also find some items there that sometimes aren't available at other HEBs.

I second this. I work on the westside and drive down that way every once in a while, especially when I need to go to the WaMu over there. I've only run in and out, but one day...one day...I will do all my shopping there! It's huge! It's busy, but the aisle are big enough to fit everyone and their things. And they always, always have enough lines open for everyone. That's what bugs me about wal-marts (even though I do most of my grocery shopping at the Wal-Mart on De Zavala).

The HEB on De Zavala isn't too shabby either. It gets crowded though, but as far as HEBs go, it's not too bad.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:32 PM

2,027 posts, read 6,352,302 times
Any HEB built or remodeled within the last 10 years is in good shape. I prefer alon market.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:11 PM

616 posts, read 1,853,692 times
My main problem with Wal-Mart is that I cannot STAND IT when you're waiting in a twenty-five person long checkout line, surrounded by a dozen empty, unmanned checkout stands, and the staff can't seem to be bothered to order in any backup. I have abandoned my shopping several times at Wal-Mart because I've been waiting over ten minutes to check out on an average weekday afternoon.

At the Lincoln Heights HEB, it's a totally different story - they always have multiple stands open, plus there is pretty much always an assistant manager or shift supervisor there at the checkouts to perform crowd control, funnel shoppers into the right lanes, order up more open lanes, and otherwise make sure that the process works as efficiently as possible. I rarely have to wait more than two or three minutes to check out, even on a busy evening or weekend.

The remodel took me a little getting used to (basically all of housewares, paper goods and cleaning supplies have been moved to the front of the store, while dairy has been moved to the far back corner) but I am really happy with it.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:30 PM

19 posts, read 29,958 times
Yea I would defenitely have to agree that the nicest HEBS and Wal Marts are all out by 1604 an potranco, 1604 an culebra, 1604 an bandera, so if you just stick to that area youll be alright!

Old 03-08-2009, 03:43 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,274,789 times
HEB in Schertz off Roy Richard

Old 03-08-2009, 05:46 PM

317 posts, read 1,606,845 times
There seems to be a big difference in HEB's to me. I stopped on my way home last summer at the Super Mercado HEB on Culebra and it was disgusting. There were dead flies in every single meat and freezer cases. I don't mean one or two flies- I mean hundreds. When I complained to one of the meat department workers, I got a "yeah, we know" response, so I had to get the store manager and tell him. He thanked me for telling him, and started calling for people. But the problem was so grossly obvious, I don't see how they could have missed it in every case, or even let it go.

I like the HEB I regularly shop at Grissom and Tezel. The people there are nice and it is usually well stocked. However, definitely avoid their bathroom- it's smells like a campground pit commode. I really love the Super HEB on Potranco- but I spend too much money there sometimes, especially in their garden center, which is my favorite haunt. I think they have the best meat department and sometimes have better sales.

I try to avoid shopping at Walmart. The one near me on Military can be super crowded, and someone is always leaving flyers on your car. I have gotten very angry about it- especially Good Friday last year, when my car was plastered with anti catholic religious flyers. If I had to choose a Walmart to shop at, it would be the one on Bandera. It is usually crowded, but very clean, well lit, and plenty of cashiers. (at least when I have gone)

Old 03-08-2009, 05:59 PM

484 posts, read 1,397,123 times
If I had to shop at H.E.B, I typically went to the one at 1604 and Bandera. It's pretty well kept. It's often crowded though, but I think that's the way with any H.E.B. honestly (considering there aren't very many other grocery store options, especially in the 1604/Bandera area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio