U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2009, 11:23 PM
 
35 posts, read 80,506 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

This evening I pulled up into my driveway as a Bexar County Sheriff's officer fled from one house down the street, and turned around with in the cul de sac with tires squealing. Furious that he would drive through our neighborhood with such recklessness, I flagged him down. I would have been satisfied with a simple apology and having him slow it down, but instead, the officer decided to escalate it.

He called two other officers to the scene! I then took pictures of him and his car, all the while he told me I could not and that I had to stop. Is San Antonio now part of China? The senior sergent who responded to the scene demanded that I hang up the phone (I believe I needed a witness) and told me that he would come back to arrest me if I posted the pics I took on the internet. When I asked him what the charge would be he ignored me and walked away.

This is at least the third time in the last month that the BCSD has sped through or past our subdivision. Sure, the argument that they could have been responding to a call exists, but the fact that they are speeding through the very streets our children play on, no emergency lights, no sirens, and here's the best part, when they get to the traffic light, they just stop, as if there is no emergency.

Many of us have noticed the increase in officers patrolling our roads, ticketing speeders. The behavior I witnessed tonight, total disregard for the law, and contempt for the safety of our children makes their "efforts" in patrolling our street seem to be more about financial gain for the department than the safety of our citizens.

I am in the process of learning my legal rights in regards to my freedom to post pictures and specific information regarding these officers on the internet. If we, as a community, band together, we can stop this recurrent and worsening behavior that our sheriff's department exhibits. Abusing the same laws they are sworn to uphold is against their oath. Their arrogance and contempt will spread as long as it goes unchecked. We need to report each of the officers we encounter to ensure the safety of our neighborhoods and maintain law and order within or sheriff's department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2009, 11:31 PM
 
199 posts, read 597,231 times
Reputation: 111
cool story bro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 12:04 AM
 
4,796 posts, read 13,711,684 times
Reputation: 2709
I'm curious how your cell phone camera could record the speed of this errant police officer. If the cars were parked, what exactly were you taking pictures of?

Keep in mind, that if back up was called, it wasn't for a party. Your interference while responding to a call is definitely a criminal offense.

I personally think our police need more volunteer watch groups to increase the safety in numbers. That might help the problem with CRIME.....not in how the police should respond. Good luck with your cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 12:23 AM
cwh
 
345 posts, read 855,860 times
Reputation: 109
Even if he was responding to another event, that is now excuse for excessive speed or squealing his tires.

If it continues to be a problem, keep a video camera handy as I am sure one of the local tv stations would find the video interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 12:23 AM
 
35 posts, read 80,506 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I'm curious how your cell phone camera could record the speed of this errant police officer. If the cars were parked, what exactly were you taking pictures of?

Keep in mind, that if back up was called, it wasn't for a party. Your interference while responding to a call is definitely a criminal offense.

I personally think our police need more volunteer watch groups to increase the safety in numbers. That might help the problem with CRIME.....not in how the police should respond. Good luck with your cause.

I took pictures with my 6.3 mp camera. And I did not take the pictures of him speeding, he had already stopped at that point. I was taking pictures to record the identity of the driver and to document the vehicle he was driving. I did this after he became threatening. I did not trust him, and I do not trust the sheriff's department. As far as I know, they were going to falsely accuse me of a crime. I know someone else this happened to, again by our sheriff's department.

The officer called backup to assist him with ME, there was nothing else going on. He called them to back him up. I will also add that they then asked my neighbors to lie and sign an affidavit stating that they were not speeding.

I hope this clears up any confusion. I was not impeding ANY official business.

If this was an isolated incident I would not have created this thread. This is a recurrent problem, and it is worsening. Like it or not, it IS our responsibility to maintain a system of checks and balances. Our community and our children depend on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 12:24 AM
 
35 posts, read 80,506 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh View Post
Even if he was responding to another event, that is now excuse for excessive speed or squealing his tires.

If it continues to be a problem, keep a video camera handy as I am sure one of the local tv stations would find the video interesting.

Good idea, I think it is wise advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 12:24 AM
 
Location: Here
10,864 posts, read 11,906,106 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedSAcitizen View Post
I would have been satisfied with a simple apology and having him slow it down, but instead, the officer decided to escalate it.
Apologize? If I was the cop I probably would have laughed in your face but hey, that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 12:35 AM
 
35 posts, read 80,506 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Apologize? If I was the cop I probably would have laughed in your face but hey, that's just me.

That is the type of behavior that continues to fan the flames of contempt so many citizens have for our officers. That is the same contempt that jeopardizes the safety of you and your family.

Moderator cut: inappropriate

Last edited by Bo; 03-09-2009 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: Speculating about what might happen to another member is asking for trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 12:36 AM
 
Location: Glendale/Los Angeles
571 posts, read 1,713,318 times
Reputation: 238
Hey I have seen some cops drive pretty crazy.. and if they were responding to a call they should have their emergency lights on.. but whenever I see them driving like that they never do..

This reminds me of the movie Lakeview Terrace.. haha

I've had mostly good experiences with officers and in my city they have a strong presence and it's a very safe city because of that.. but I have also seen some that just don't follow the rules and abuse their power.. LAPD..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 12:42 AM
 
35 posts, read 80,506 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
Hey I have seen some cops drive pretty crazy.. and if they were responding to a call they should have their emergency lights on.. but whenever I see them driving like that they never do..

This reminds me of the movie Lakeview Terrace.. haha

I've had mostly good experiences with officers and in my city they have a strong presence and it's a very safe city because of that.. but I have also seen some that just don't follow the rules and abuse their power.. LAPD..
Exactly. This is NOT a rare event.

My other favorite is when they come upon a light as it's turning red and they flick on their lights to drive through, only to be held up at the next light. It seems to me, if it WAS a real emergency, they would have their lights on to go passed the traffic at the second light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:26 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top