Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:08 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,147 times

Advertisements

infants should not be getting their ears pierced. Period. And those professionals who refuse to do so are commendable, not "dumb." Parents, however, who pierce the ears of their babies and young kids purely for vanity sake...well, now that's "dumb."[/quote]

I thought this thread was supposed to be opinion/flame free? If you are throwing out statements like this, please back it up with legit information. Did you research and find something that said infants shouldn't have their ears pierced? You seem to feel very strongly on this and if you have reason, maybe it's good to inform the rest of us. As you know, this is an informative board. [/quote]

First of all, I responded in another thread which was moved into this one.

And yes, I have also felt babies should not have their ears pierced. The reasons seem more than obvious to me, but clearly not so for others. Soooo...

A major reason infants should not have their ears pierced is because earrings are small and can come loose and can be choked on or swallowed by a baby. Secondly, this is a child, not a doll for parents to decorate for their personal fulfillment. No baby has ever looked at their mother and said, "please, pierce my ears." Thirdly, it is simply unnecessary and can be postponed until they are old enough to understand it, request it and have an opinion on whether they want THEIR OWN ears pierced.

Included comments from other medical sites as well, because "As you know, this is an informative board. "

"When can I pierce my baby's ears?
Although some parents like to get their baby's ears pierced as early as possible, the American Academy of Pediatrics does recommend that you "postpone the piercing until your child is mature enough to take care of the pierced site herself."
This can help avoid some of the risks of baby ear piercing, including:
  • infection - younger infants have immature immune systems, so they might not be able to fight off an infection at the site of the piercing very well.
  • choking hazard - if they get the earring off.
  • allergic reactions - to the metals in the earrings (especially nickle and gold) she wears, but which can be hard to notice since infants normally rub their ears a lot.
  • embedded earring - this occurs when one part of the earring goes into the earring hole and gets embedded inside. Although this can happen at any age, it can be harder to remove from infants.
How big are the risks? They are likely fairly small, but since baby ear piercing is usually just a cosmetic procedure that can be put off to a safer time, there is little reason to take that even small risk.
Baby Ear Piercing

If you do decide to have your baby's ears pierced, try to wait until she is at least two or three months old, which is when she should be old enough to handle mild infections and will have gotten at least one round of vaccines.
Also consider getting earrings with lock or screw-on backs made of surgical steel (to reduce allergic reactions), which may help decrease your baby's chances of pulling the earring off and swallowing or choking on. And choose a facility that uses sterile equipment and has experience piercing baby ears, such as your pediatrician's office."

"Another thing to remember is that your child will be constantly touching her ears and the pierced area can easily become infected."

"
First you should know that gold is not really the best metal to use, as many people have allergic reactions to it. Stainless steel is best for piercings, because stainless steel is hypoallergenic. It is also non-porous and smooth, unlike gold, so detritus does not stick as vigorously, and it is easier to keep clean. Hoops are the best shape, as they slide easier, and you can move them around. As for cleaning the piercing, alcohol is far, far too harsh for new piercings but obviously, many people do fine with it. However, for those with tender, sensitive skin, particularly with a fresh wound, alcohol is too caustic and drying, and can thus hinder the healing process as well as cause additional irritation problems.

There are specific piercing products recommend. The use of piercing guns, such as those usually used at Beadazzled, is entirely antiquated, even condemned by the piercing community. The gun causes a different type of wound than piercing needles do, but in addition, the piercing can take much longer to heal. The gun is a poor option also because it is very tight against the swollen earlobe, and the shaft is ridged creating a great place for pus and scabs to accumulate. These are hard to turn, and when turned often pull away the healing scabs, leaving newly exposed raw areas so healing takes longer. Moreover, you must know that piercing at home is not a good idea. There is no way for the needle of the novice piercer to get as sterile as it must be for optimum healing that the human organism needs. If we factor in an infant’s sensitivity, this could be disastrous.
Lastly, reputable piercing parlors are found all over the place, and they generally do not charge too much. This makes alternatives obsolete and dangerous. Therefore, it is recommended to have all piercings done by a professional. You should find one who has sterile equipment and years of experience.

However, maybe the best option is to wait. There are many reasons for that, such as tetanus. Even though the disease is not very common thanks to immunizations, the tetanus bacteria is everywhere. That bacteria usually enters the body through puncture wounds. Most people prefer that a baby has at least one, preferably two tetanus shots behind her before her big day. Two would put the event at 3-5 months old for most kids, and also babies are better at handling the more common minor skin infections they might get once they are more than 3 months old."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 03:51 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
I have two pictures of my daughter. One was taken at about 12 months old, getting her first haircut. The other was taken when she was 18 months old, getting her ears pierced. She is crying in both pictures (and has the exact same look on her face).

I did wait until she was 18 months old, specifically due to the vaccines, etc. I had it done at Claire's, and I made sure that they sterilized everything, and/or used disposable items. Limited Too would not do kids younger than 5.

FWIW, I remember getting my own done (at Spencer's !!). I was about 14. Pinch, warmth, then nothing.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:38 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,288,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
infants should not be getting their ears pierced. Period. And those professionals who refuse to do so are commendable, not "dumb." Parents, however, who pierce the ears of their babies and young kids purely for vanity sake...well, now that's "dumb."
I thought this thread was supposed to be opinion/flame free? If you are throwing out statements like this, please back it up with legit information. Did you research and find something that said infants shouldn't have their ears pierced? You seem to feel very strongly on this and if you have reason, maybe it's good to inform the rest of us. As you know, this is an informative board. [/quote]

First of all, I responded in another thread which was moved into this one.

And yes, I have also felt babies should not have their ears pierced. The reasons seem more than obvious to me, but clearly not so for others. Soooo...

A major reason infants should not have their ears pierced is because earrings are small and can come loose and can be choked on or swallowed by a baby. Secondly, this is a child, not a doll for parents to decorate for their personal fulfillment. No baby has ever looked at their mother and said, "please, pierce my ears." Thirdly, it is simply unnecessary and can be postponed until they are old enough to understand it, request it and have an opinion on whether they want THEIR OWN ears pierced.

Included comments from other medical sites as well, because "As you know, this is an informative board. "

"When can I pierce my baby's ears?
Although some parents like to get their baby's ears pierced as early as possible, the American Academy of Pediatrics does recommend that you "postpone the piercing until your child is mature enough to take care of the pierced site herself."

This can help avoid some of the risks of baby ear piercing, including:
  • infection - younger infants have immature immune systems, so they might not be able to fight off an infection at the site of the piercing very well.
  • choking hazard - if they get the earring off.
  • allergic reactions - to the metals in the earrings (especially nickle and gold) she wears, but which can be hard to notice since infants normally rub their ears a lot.
  • embedded earring - this occurs when one part of the earring goes into the earring hole and gets embedded inside. Although this can happen at any age, it can be harder to remove from infants.
How big are the risks? They are likely fairly small, but since baby ear piercing is usually just a cosmetic procedure that can be put off to a safer time, there is little reason to take that even small risk.
Baby Ear Piercing

If you do decide to have your baby's ears pierced, try to wait until she is at least two or three months old, which is when she should be old enough to handle mild infections and will have gotten at least one round of vaccines.
Also consider getting earrings with lock or screw-on backs made of surgical steel (to reduce allergic reactions), which may help decrease your baby's chances of pulling the earring off and swallowing or choking on. And choose a facility that uses sterile equipment and has experience piercing baby ears, such as your pediatrician's office."

"Another thing to remember is that your child will be constantly touching her ears and the pierced area can easily become infected."

"
First you should know that gold is not really the best metal to use, as many people have allergic reactions to it. Stainless steel is best for piercings, because stainless steel is hypoallergenic. It is also non-porous and smooth, unlike gold, so detritus does not stick as vigorously, and it is easier to keep clean. Hoops are the best shape, as they slide easier, and you can move them around. As for cleaning the piercing, alcohol is far, far too harsh for new piercings but obviously, many people do fine with it. However, for those with tender, sensitive skin, particularly with a fresh wound, alcohol is too caustic and drying, and can thus hinder the healing process as well as cause additional irritation problems.

There are specific piercing products recommend. The use of piercing guns, such as those usually used at Beadazzled, is entirely antiquated, even condemned by the piercing community. The gun causes a different type of wound than piercing needles do, but in addition, the piercing can take much longer to heal. The gun is a poor option also because it is very tight against the swollen earlobe, and the shaft is ridged creating a great place for pus and scabs to accumulate. These are hard to turn, and when turned often pull away the healing scabs, leaving newly exposed raw areas so healing takes longer. Moreover, you must know that piercing at home is not a good idea. There is no way for the needle of the novice piercer to get as sterile as it must be for optimum healing that the human organism needs. If we factor in an infant’s sensitivity, this could be disastrous.
Lastly, reputable piercing parlors are found all over the place, and they generally do not charge too much. This makes alternatives obsolete and dangerous. Therefore, it is recommended to have all piercings done by a professional. You should find one who has sterile equipment and years of experience.

However, maybe the best option is to wait. There are many reasons for that, such as tetanus. Even though the disease is not very common thanks to immunizations, the tetanus bacteria is everywhere. That bacteria usually enters the body through puncture wounds. Most people prefer that a baby has at least one, preferably two tetanus shots behind her before her big day. Two would put the event at 3-5 months old for most kids, and also babies are better at handling the more common minor skin infections they might get once they are more than 3 months old."
[/quote]

thanks for the copy and paste.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:05 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,172 times
Well, at least THIS time you gave a more appropriate informative answer, Stoneoak, for everyone. It's a shame your first comment called people dumb and was pretty insulting. When people do that, it really lowers the quality of the post/response.

I don't have this piercing issue, so I don't need to worry about it and honestly don't have an opinion one way or the other. Let people make their own decisions. If you have something to say, just at least give them legit data.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:16 PM

413 posts, read 1,404,321 times
When did other peoples morals/opinions have to be put on others? It's THEIR child NOT yours, so why do you care if they pierce THEIR child's ears? If the parent is aware of the risks and takes them, then that's THEIR decision. Maybe I'm the naive one...

Old 09-11-2009, 08:24 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruscurves View Post
When did other peoples morals/opinions have to be put on others? It's THEIR child NOT yours, so why do you care if they pierce THEIR child's ears? If the parent is aware of the risks and takes them, then that's THEIR decision. Maybe I'm the naive one...

THEIR decision....key words.

Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 09-12-2009 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: I explained this deletion via DM.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:45 PM

13 posts, read 45,367 times
Default Claires

Yes, I heard that some peds do it, but if yours doesn't, it's difficult to find one that will take you w/o charging you for a doctor's visit plus the cost of the service.

I took my daughter to Claires at that small mall off over 1604 east...can't recall the name. Anyhow, the manager did it and my daughter did great...no tears!

Old 09-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Based on some deleted posts, a couple of reminders about the TOS appear to be needed.

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:01 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,506 times
... Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to take an infant for his/her first tattoo? As long as we're on infant piercing, I just thought I'd continue the trend.

BN

Old 03-01-2010, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 15,902 times
I have heard those HORRIBLE cries in the Mall. I actually thought this could be child abuse. I have heard lots of crying but this was by far the most disturbing cry. I can see how it would bring up angry feelings in people who are watching or like me shocked at the horrific sound and got up and looked around. It is sad to see babies with earrings, just because the parents think it is cute. My daughter is now 6 and I have explained the pain as much as I can. But knowing my child and the fact that she is OLDER, she can understand that Mommy is not hurting her or holding her down in the seat. Sometimes I see those sweet babies and think WHY? what is the point? They are babies and so adorable just the way they are, untarnished by the marks on the world. But if you do go to the mall, I would think that you should expect lots of dirty looks and If someone is bold enough to say something Good for them!! It is just not a normal cry from a baby. It is heart wrenching to others who hear it. So I would go to a doctors office, but better yet......don't follow the traditions, think of your baby first, wait until she gets older and STAND up to others who tell you their silly ways that YOU should follow. LEAD and Start something great for your baby! Wait till she is older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio