U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:46 PM

47 posts, read 182,349 times

Advertisements

I haven't been here long but I like Los Barrios on Blanco Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 02:54 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,713,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
I haven't been here long but I like Los Barrios on Blanco Road.
Tommi.....I haven't been there, but it keeps coming up in conversations so it must be good. It's on my list.

I know I posted this somewhere, but I had a long converstation with out very educated waiter at Paloma Blanca not long ago. He was from Monterrey and said the chef there was also from Monterrey and had three restaraunts....in addition to Paloma Blanca, one in Monterrey and one in Vegas.

He said that they don't have "chile con carne" as named such, but do a similar brown gravy sauce with meat in it. Ground beef is hardly used on the Mexican side of the border. He also said "sopapillas" were brought to Texas with Hemisfair. Authentic Mexican sweets are Tres Leches cake, flan and baked cakes and cookie type breads like Mi Terra has. Benuelos are also authentic Mexican desserts.

As far as fast food.....Las Palapas is probably as close to more "authentic" ....but still Tex Mex. All the other chains are morphed fast foods with Mexican flavors.

Even Papasitas is very Tex Mex. If you go to Pappadeaux's you will find a very similar menu, only with Cajun spices instead of Mexican.

Mexican flavor is all about the spices.....but the menu and style varies according to location.

I judge a good Mexican restaruant by the cheese they use. I usually try cheese enchiladas first. If it's "cheese food" or anything resembling "velveeta" I won't go back! But that doesn't mean it's not authentic, that's just my preference.

It's sort of like "Southern" cooking. A lot of the ingredients, and even the names overlap, but that where the similarities stop. Ask two people in the south about barbeque or fried chicken.....there are a million "real" Southern recipes!

Taste it all and decide what you like! That's what I do!!!

Old 03-25-2007, 02:49 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,756,442 times
Best Mexican food in San Antonio?? Go downtown...or you could just go to Taco Bell.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:32 PM

348 posts, read 1,424,437 times
Hello,

Los Barrios is great.

Who cares what you call it, it is good food, consistently great service.

crazedchef

Old 03-25-2007, 01:09 PM

246 posts, read 593,703 times
I love Salsalito's! Yum!

Old 03-25-2007, 02:15 PM

2,392 posts, read 8,612,725 times
Has anyone eaten at Girasol ? I heard it is the new resturant of the orginal owner of La Fogata before being bought out.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:05 PM

136 posts, read 510,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
or you could just go to Taco Bell.
I think NOT

-Steve

Old 03-27-2007, 10:57 PM

54 posts, read 231,103 times
Default Mexican food in SA?

Nope.
Sorry, still looking.
All I can find is Tex-Mex.

(the caveat being hurray for good fajitas!)

B.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
"Mexican" food anywhere in Texas is called Tex-Mex outside of the state. Even MiTierra and Manhattan are Tex-Mex. But nobody in San Antonio says Tex-Mex. They call it Mexican food.

Californians call their brand of Mexican food Baja Mex. But to anyone else it's California-style, or Cali-Mex. It doesn't resemble authentic dishes in Mexico (or Baja) because it's influence by Californian preferences.

The types of dishes that are made deep in Mexico are not made in the US unless it's a rare specialty restaurant. Every place has regional influence.

Just like Italian and Chinese restaurants in the US are probably not much like typical restaurants in Italy and China.
I thought that Tex-Mex and Mexican food were two different things.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauben2007 View Post
I think NOT

-Steve
Um, I think so, sir. Don't even act like people don't eat at Taco Bell more than anywhere else in the city. And you're not going to go anywhere else in America and find a Taco Bell like in San Antonio. It might be fast food, but it's good food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio