Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 05:26 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
I take offense to sinsativ's post as well. I'm a defensive driver, but I believe it goes both ways. Look, I've driven in wind, fog, ice and blizzards (thank you North Dakota), and I know how to slow down in the rain. Aren't you supposed to turn on your lights here in the rain? Because it seemed like no one else did today. Maybe it was a law I adopted from another state.
How can a phrase with the words "Almost Everyone" be overlooked? especially when one has already brought it out in the open, and I answered that. I guess whenever I mention something it has to be, except for, "A" & "B" * etc, not believing that the ones that are following defensive rules understand and accept that as reference. miche111e, just because you started the thread, doesn't mean you are or aren't that kind of driver. It just means that probably sometime, within the last couple days you have had to auspicious opportunity to be behind someone that was driving under 70 mph on a rode which the speed limit was such and they were in the left hand lane, and you felt that they should have been courteous and moved into the right hand lane to let you pass.
Now, I've been a Texan all my life, damn proud of it, and I can tell you, most true Texans, farmers, ranchers, cattlemen alike, pulling trailers, or tractors, even on narrow FM roads, will pull over to the right and let folks pass by. That kind of attitude prevails thru my veins, and thru the veins of most true suthin folks also. Not to say that the people from the north arent courteous, I haven't driven that much up there, except for a little last year in NY and NJ, and that wasn't a good comparison for analogy. People there would have been happier to run me and my car off the road and into the ditch from my viewpoint, so the left lane was not just for passing either, more like Passing Lane at a Roller Derby. My opinion, especially after today, I saw an 18 wheeler jack-knifed on 1604, one of those forced options, nobody gave in. Everybody needs to unload their weapons (automobiles) and drive to get from point A to point B with a smile, not looking for revenge. Life is too short, you never know when because of your own mistake, or someone elses', that today is the day that your number is up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 06:12 PM

707 posts, read 1,845,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Now, I've been a Texan all my life, damn proud of it, and I can tell you, most true Texans, farmers, ranchers, cattlemen alike, pulling trailers, or tractors, even on narrow FM roads, will pull over to the right and let folks pass by. That kind of attitude prevails thru my veins, and thru the veins of most true suthin folks also.
I agree with that! I knew I was "home" when we were coming in through west Texas and trucks pulled over on the 2 lane highway to let people pass. I am saying that being courteous goes both ways. You should move over when someone is behind you, but you should also not be agressive to not let someone in. I'm one of those annoying people who let people in front of me. I just wish that people didn't feel entitled to cruise in the left lane.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:34 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
When you know what Im talking bout, then you understand.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:45 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
Aren't you supposed to turn on your lights here in the rain?
I'd be glad if people start using their blinkers to let other drivers know what they are about to do.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:25 PM

707 posts, read 1,845,081 times
true dat!

Old 03-16-2009, 04:09 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
can anyone offer an explanation for the people that drive in the left lane, move over to let you past them and then hop right back in the left lane? This happened to me on 151 today. The lady wasn't passing anyone and was actually being passed in the right lane. I came up on her in the left lane and she got over in an OK amount of time, but I did have to stop my cruise control while I waited. However, she did tie up several people later on because I could see them whipping around her in the right lane and not looking very happy by the time they got to me. It's just ignorant and I don't get it. I've only known one person (wife's cousin) that did this and she didn't have an explanation; she just always did it because she had always did it. dumb, dumb, dumb

I also almost got nailed by a car on Military at 151. The light turned green for me and I was starting to go when I luckily looked to the left. Some idiot was driving towards the light completely oblivious to the red light and it had been red for a while. Why did he do this? cell phone attached to his dumba$$ ear. Luckily he didn't hit me or the car next to me and also lucky that both of us didn't do the usual take off quick from the green light. I was going to chase him down and go off on him for trying to kill me, but I figured it wasn't worth it because he was obviously an idiot and he probably would've pi$$ed me off enough to hit him. morons with cell phones need to die like that idiot in the Jeep yesterday (FOX San Antonio man killed in accident story (why is it KABB has a LOT of stories other local media don't have?)) good riddance to the moron and hopefully his phone call was worth it.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:05 PM

348 posts, read 1,222,402 times
As a native Texan who averages driving 4-5k miles a month, here is my assessment of driving in Texas..
  • The good ol days of someone letting you pass are long gone, unless you are in a rural area (I mean real rural places, not Helotes, Boerne, etc)
  • the Texan "howdy wave" is non-existant unless you are on a real rural FM or RR.
  • you must ALWAYS drive defensively and look ahead of you to see what is in front of the car ahead of you because many times, that person is not paying attention to the road or derbis on the road.
  • When driving in large metro areas, be prepared to be extra defensive because people are more likely to be aggressive and unless you want to risk your safety, you will let those a-holes go ahead of you (and they are usually the ones that end up pulled over on the side of the road by the police who have speed traps set waiting for these idiots)!
    • Last but not least, YOU WILL NEVER be able to change the other drivers habits...but you can call 311 or if an emergency 911 to report aggressive drivers. I have reported these jerks many times and feel that is the best revenge!!

Old 03-16-2009, 06:27 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
my favorite place to drive in Texas is San Angelo and the surrounding areas. Outside of town people still move over and let you by. I loved that the first time I saw it.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:27 AM

667 posts, read 1,567,050 times
So how wrong/bad is it to flash your brights at the slow driver ahead of you in the left lane?

Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd33 View Post
So how wrong/bad is it to flash your brights at the slow driver ahead of you in the left lane?
That will get you killed. I've seen idiots tap hard enough on their brakes when someone does that behind them--can cause a major accident, not to mention it's a d!ck move if ever there was one. Move the hell over!

eta.........and I mean the slow guy in the left lane needs to move over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio