Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:25 PM

17 posts, read 34,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01snake View Post
sorry to hear. Did any of the other dogs owners say anything? Is there a leash requirement?
no, all dogs are free to do whatever , it was random though because all the dogs were getting along good and they were friendly. Im thinking this dog just had enterd the dog park and didnt think my dog was a dog and tryed to get him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 04:37 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,287,967 times
I am so sorry to hear this happened to you! My husband and his Akita/GS belong to a large dogs group and they meet at various parks, one thing the group enforces and preaches is TO KNOW YOUR DOG. DHs dog is young and rambunctious, he's also very territorial and always wants to be the "alpha dog," so when he takes him in public and hes going to be around other dogs, DH ALWAYS keeps him on a leash (even though leashes may not be required) and at times has put a muzzle on him. Those dog owners should have immediately restrained their dog and were very irresponsible in how they handled the situation. The dogs may have not exhibited the bad behaviour but dogs are sometimes unpredictable, its not worth taking the chance that they will harm someone else, another animal, or even themselves.

After the incident did they offer any kind of help to you? (ie vet bills) It would have been THE LEAST they could do.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I am so sorry to hear this happened to you! My husband and his Akita/GS belong to a large dogs group and they meet at various parks, one thing the group enforces and preaches is TO KNOW YOUR DOG. DHs dog is young and rambunctious, he's also very territorial and always wants to be the "alpha dog," so when he takes him in public and hes going to be around other dogs, DH ALWAYS keeps him on a leash (even though leashes may not be required) and at times has put a muzzle on him. Those dog owners should have immediately restrained their dog and were very irresponsible in how they handled the situation. The dogs may have not exhibited the bad behaviour but dogs are sometimes unpredictable, its not worth taking the chance that they will harm someone else, another animal, or even themselves.

After the incident did they offer any kind of help to you? (ie vet bills) It would have been THE LEAST they could do.
no i got no help. when i tryed telling the person that their dog had my dog in his mouth and was moving his head back and forth they told me that it was very unlikely that their dog was trying to hurt my dog because thier dog was a rescue dog and that what he was probably trying to do was help my dog. i dont know. their were soo many dogs around him, also those people examined my dog and they said that his wounds were not deep at all and that they would heal itself. to me the wounds didnt look bad because they were not even bleeding anymore but then i saw him getting worse and worse before you know it he died! it was a shocker! something was going on with him inside is body. the people said that if that dog wanted to hurt my dog he would have bit harder and movied his head back and forth alot faster.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:06 PM

571 posts, read 1,931,777 times
wow....

Old 03-10-2009, 05:22 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,287,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsalinas66 View Post
no i got no help. when i tryed telling the person that their dog had my dog in his mouth and was moving his head back and forth they told me that it was very unlikely that their dog was trying to hurt my dog because thier dog was a rescue dog and that what he was probably trying to do was help my dog. i dont know. their were soo many dogs around him, also those people examined my dog and they said that his wounds were not deep at all and that they would heal itself. to me the wounds didnt look bad because they were not even bleeding anymore but then i saw him getting worse and worse before you know it he died! it was a shocker! something was going on with him inside is body. the people said that if that dog wanted to hurt my dog he would have bit harder and movied his head back and forth alot faster.
so did they just go about their business and leave you there with your dying dog?? that is just crazy!! i imagine you were in alot of shock by what had transpired. did you get any contact info for them? i would have and held them responsible for my dogs death.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:27 PM

199 posts, read 663,125 times
Get their names and we will be the SA forum Vigilantes.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:33 PM

278 posts, read 693,129 times
so as a frequenter of mcallister and an owner of 3 dogs (2 big, 1 tiny), i have to say there has to be more to this story and a few lessons to learn.

1. was this your dog's first time at the park? if so, you should gotten some advice first on what to do. you can't just throw a new dog, especially a small one in there without prep. with my little puppy, we made sure to go super early (8am) to avoid the crowds until he got used to it. after 5 visits, he's king of the park and he's not even 10lbs.
2. you always need to know about the other dogs in the park and their personalities (and those that are a part of their breeds.) for example, if you have a little white dog, stay away from sight hounds like greyhounds. they are taught to hunt rabbits (and guess what little white dogs look like?)
3. if you don't like something that's going on, leave. i've done it many times, just to avoid a situation since i have one very dominant dog, and he doesn't like other dominant dogs.

also, when did this happen? i was there till about 1130am and didnt see anything like this. didnt you take him straight to the vet after this? if money is an issue, then you should look into pet insurance for your other dogs for situations like this.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:58 PM

33 posts, read 86,760 times
Thanks for the info...I have two Pugs, and I barely started going to the park, I will be more aware of other dogs to prevent an incident like this.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:35 PM

51 posts, read 211,975 times
Wow...this is why I do not go to ANY dog parks. Most people have very good control over their dogs and all goes well...but there is that one person who thinks their dog is so great, but really is not. I just can not bring myself to take my dog anymore. Sorry to hear about your dog...

Old 03-10-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rtigo View Post
so as a frequenter of mcallister and an owner of 3 dogs (2 big, 1 tiny), i have to say there has to be more to this story and a few lessons to learn.

1. was this your dog's first time at the park? if so, you should gotten some advice first on what to do. you can't just throw a new dog, especially a small one in there without prep. with my little puppy, we made sure to go super early (8am) to avoid the crowds until he got used to it. after 5 visits, he's king of the park and he's not even 10lbs.
2. you always need to know about the other dogs in the park and their personalities (and those that are a part of their breeds.) for example, if you have a little white dog, stay away from sight hounds like greyhounds. they are taught to hunt rabbits (and guess what little white dogs look like?)
3. if you don't like something that's going on, leave. i've done it many times, just to avoid a situation since i have one very dominant dog, and he doesn't like other dominant dogs.

also, when did this happen? i was there till about 1130am and didnt see anything like this. didnt you take him straight to the vet after this? if money is an issue, then you should look into pet insurance for your other dogs for situations like this.

yea there are so many things that i wish i would have done different. i felt like they were gunna be ok since all of my dogs were doing so well for so long. i wish i would have never ever took my dog and i will never go again. all the reviews i saw on that park were positive. i wish i would have known more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: