U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:48 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,726,856 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if we had any of the type here on the boards - I know we have several in SA!

The wife and I just kicked up P90X to jumpstart everything. I haven't lifted heavy since high school and of course after leaving the military my fitness went south quick!

We've decided that enough is enough, and we're getting back into it. She's working on getting certified for the Turbo programs thru Beachbody (not just as a coach, but a trainer) and I would l o v e to get huge again!

Anyone??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 11:02 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,689,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
I haven't lifted heavy since high school and of course after leaving the military my fitness went south quick!

I lifted heavy into my early 30's (topped 400 lb bench) but my fitness went down quick after that as well. Wish I had the dedication that I used to..there really is no excuse. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2009, 11:15 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,329,422 times
Bodybuilder, no. Fitness enthusiast, yes.

6'3" 205 6% bodyfat. I do a combo of bikram yoga, PX90 and free weights 5x a week to stay that way. Eating clean (I've found) is the biggest secret to getting ripped up and strong. I supplement a bit: vaso-dialators, creatine and protein. Nothing illegal or crazy.

My advice to anyone going back into the gym: Make sure you mix it up and realize that being strong isn't just about how much you can bench. I know tons of guys who can out-bench me, but if you put them onto a soccer field or into a yoga class, they'd fail miserably. Don't just be muscular, but heart healthy as well.

BN

Old 03-10-2009, 11:18 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,689,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Bodybuilder, no. Fitness enthusiast, yes.

6'3" 205 6% bodyfat. I do a combo of bikram yoga, PX90 and free weights 5x a week to stay that way. Eating clean (I've found) is the biggest secret to getting ripped up and strong. I supplement a bit: vaso-dialators, creatine and protein. Nothing illegal or crazy.

My advice to anyone going back into the gym: Make sure you mix it up and realize that being strong isn't just about how much you can bench. I know tons of guys who can out-bench me, but if you put them onto a soccer field or into a yoga class, they'd fail miserably. Don't just be muscular, but heart healthy as well.

BN
Agreed...I had guys in my gym that were benching close to 600..but I could run circles around them. They weren't very flexible either.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:21 PM

That's my problem - it takes dedication! Two kids, home biz that involves ton of personal time, and a new job...yeesh. But I want it!

Old 03-10-2009, 11:39 PM

132 posts, read 251,669 times
Yep, the fiancee and I are getting back into it. We also have that P90X, and its pretty intense. I hated that guy for the entire first week I did it lol...I have stopped with the p90X however and started on a ketogenic diet and have been with a trainer since January. in 2.5 months i've dropped 8% body fat and about 20lbs overall. So i've been pretty happy with it. My goal is to shave another 10% and get into the single digit BF range, at a weight of around 185-190 (give or take) and then bulk up to around 220. The diet was the hardest part for me at first, I love to cook, grill out, and of course eat and I have a huge sweet tooth...and these damn girl scout cookies for sale everywhere aren't helping anything lol. Other than the diet, i work out at Titan Fitness on Dezavala where my trainer is at...no supplements, just protein, and now since I can't have sugar, I'm addicted to the "speed stack" drinks by ABB....things are like caffeine crack lol..

Old 03-11-2009, 12:03 AM

Until there's a gym closer to me, I won't be able to join one! (Rumors have it that a Spectrum is coming.)

I plan on building the home gym for now - we'll see how much gear the wife lets me buy. That new Soloflex looks pretty good...

And my diet sucks! I've done well dumping some things from my diet, replacing them with better items. But some things, like COFFEE...it's gonna take a crowbar...

Old 03-11-2009, 12:52 AM

35 posts, read 80,489 times
If you want a REALLY good trainer, PM me. He is a neighbor and friend of mine. He has a masters in kiniesilogy (sp?) and is excellent at combining cardiovascular fitness with weight training. I have personally used him and he was able to work past my "joint issues" to help me realize my potential.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:28 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,005,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Agreed...I had guys in my gym that were benching close to 600..but I could run circles around them. They weren't very flexible either.
+3 When I was in highschool I was a see saw, my freshman and sophmore year I was a pot head so I had munchies like a fat guy in a salad bar , The most I ever weighed was 300lbs, after I stopped the nonsence I started shedding some weight around 80lbs then I took on sports midway thru my sophmore year I was cut niceley, not to exagerating and not to lean. I was filled nicely, was 6' 220 with strong tree trunk legs. but now I struggle (well sort off, I'm just a procasinator) I shrunk 2 inches because I compressed some disks on my neck and back after an accident and I gained about 30lbs I plan to loose them sometime this year, whenver I decide to stop being lazy. lol as if....

but really I didnt do anything special to loose weight I just stopped havving the munchies really. I just played alot baseball, football, and yes soccer but I just ran up and down its a good cardio work out.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:43 PM

5,634 posts, read 13,939,377 times
I exercise so I can eat whatever the heck I want. No more of that crazy fitness/diet lifestyle. Just enjoy life, keep things in moderation and stay active!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or