Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:13 PM

399 posts, read 1,139,142 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm considering a few options to make my house more energy friendly, but I can't decide what is best. Can y'all provide some insight into the benefits of:

1) Radiant Barrier - At $1400, is it worth it?
2) Ridge vents - At $1000, is it worth it?
3) Solar fans - At $550 each (I need 2), is it worth it?

Thanks ahead of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 09:10 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
My house is new and has radiant barrier,
when my house was being built I walked in to check on the house right after the roof was installed and I was surprised that the house was cooler than I expected (there were no walls or insulation, just the roof)

I recommend you going to a place where new houses are being built
come up with some story and tell them that you want to see how good the radiant barriers are
"right after it's installed when it is 100F outside".
That would be the best way for you to stand under a roof with radiant barrier and really see how good it works.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:59 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,424,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 713 to 210 View Post
Ok, I'm considering a few options to make my house more energy friendly, but I can't decide what is best. Can y'all provide some insight into the benefits of:

1) Radiant Barrier - At $1400, is it worth it?
2) Ridge vents - At $1000, is it worth it?
3) Solar fans - At $550 each (I need 2), is it worth it?

Thanks ahead of time!
The ridge vents are very efficient and worth the money. The old turbines work, but not nearly as well. The hot air has to circulate for a while to get to the turbine. With the ridge it rises right out.

Radiant barriers are the new hot thing. They definitely help, but they're not going to be the cure all. They help in conjunction with good roofing, ventilation and insulation.

If you can afford it, look into the foam insulation. That stuff is awesome. I had a client build an 8000 sf house and put that in there. We walked into the house when it was 15 outside. Nothing but exterior walls and insulation. It was about a 40 degree difference.

Not cheap though.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:02 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,821,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
The ridge vents are very efficient and worth the money. The old turbines work, but not nearly as well. The hot air has to circulate for a while to get to the turbine. With the ridge it rises right out.

Radiant barriers are the new hot thing. They definitely help, but they're not going to be the cure all. They help in conjunction with good roofing, ventilation and insulation.

If you can afford it, look into the foam insulation. That stuff is awesome. I had a client build an 8000 sf house and put that in there. We walked into the house when it was 15 outside. Nothing but exterior walls and insulation. It was about a 40 degree difference.

Not cheap though.
Where was this? North Dakota?

Old 07-29-2009, 05:46 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,424,653 times
15 was probably an exaggeration, but with the wind chill it was well below freezing this winter. It was actually out in Boerne, but at the top of a hill, so the wind was cutting through everything.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:15 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Those prices are terrible. Seriously, you're getting gouged. Rolls of radiant barrier cost $135 per thousand square foot without any bulk (multiple roll) discounts.

As to whether it makes a difference or not, right now I'm looking at about a 30-degree difference in ambient temperature for areas in my attic with radiant barrier vs. without (145-150 vs. 117). I'm getting a new roof later this week and they'll be adding a ridge vent everywhere possible. Shingle color will also be just a bit lighter. I'll take more measurements after they're done.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:32 AM

69 posts, read 202,867 times
with the ridge vents you also need the proper soffit venting, i'm not a roofer but vents alone wont cut it. you'd want to ask the installer about that.
i have the vents and radiant barrier and i can tell you my attic isnt all that hot, even now. i have a big house but have had $250 CPS bills this summer. Pretty good I say.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 AM

299 posts, read 607,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Those prices are terrible. Seriously, you're getting gouged. Rolls of radiant barrier cost $135 per thousand square foot without any bulk (multiple roll) discounts.

As to whether it makes a difference or not, right now I'm looking at about a 30-degree difference in ambient temperature for areas in my attic with radiant barrier vs. without (145-150 vs. 117). I'm getting a new roof later this week and they'll be adding a ridge vent everywhere possible. Shingle color will also be just a bit lighter. I'll take more measurements after they're done.
this is true, radiant barrier is not that expensive.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:13 AM

399 posts, read 1,139,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc11ty View Post
this is true, radiant barrier is not that expensive.
Are y'all simply referring to the sheets of radiant barrier that you could put up yourself? Or the spray on for which I got the quote? Is one better than the other in an 8 yr old house?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Spray-on is quicker for whoever is putting it up, but has proven to be less effective through experiments conducted. Sheets of the stuff, stapled to the inside of the rafters (3 1/2 inches below the decking) has proven to be most effective. It's sold by the roll - that's the price I mentioned above.

Age of the house doesn't matter. What experiments have proven to be most effective is the combination of soffit venting, radiant barrier stapled to the rafters a few inches below the decking, and ridge venting. The superheated air between the decking and radiant barrier will escape through the ridge vent and is replaced with cooler air from outside the attic space through the soffit vents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio