Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 06:58 AM

470 posts, read 1,952,606 times

Advertisements

I just got a 50" DLP TV and ain't too happy with the standard broadcasting. I have noticed that Time Warner does compress their signal quite a bit. Sometimes I get audio lag on my HD channels too as well as video "stutter".

Anyone else notice similar issues on their High-Def TV sets using Time Warner? Any Dish Network customers that care to chime in as well?

FWIW, I have a fairly good Samsung that does 720p and 1080i.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 07:28 AM

276 posts, read 970,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinocowboy View Post
I just got a 50" DLP TV and ain't too happy with the standard broadcasting. I have noticed that Time Warner does compress their signal quite a bit. Sometimes I get audio lag on my HD channels too as well as video "stutter".

Anyone else notice similar issues on their High-Def TV sets using Time Warner? Any Dish Network customers that care to chime in as well?

FWIW, I have a fairly good Samsung that does 720p and 1080i.
Does your HD set have a built-in QAM tuner? If so, you CAN receive the local HD stations (WOAI, KENS, KSAT, KLRN, KABB) without a cable set-top-box. Few people know this and the cable company doesn't advertise it (Why would they? They can take more of your money if you rent their cable box!).

Anyway, if you have the QAM tuner, try plugging the cable straight in to your set. Then rescan your channels. This way you can determine if it's the converter box that's introducing the problems.

Good luck.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:35 AM

276 posts, read 970,073 times
More info on QAM tuners at Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAM_tuner

Old 03-23-2007, 08:26 AM

443 posts, read 1,506,025 times
is it very rampant? try exchanging your cable box, maybe its the box...

i remember something like that happening to me before, like a whole show i recorded in dvr in hd channel without sound, but during commercials it had sound... weird... anyway TW just gave me a "new" box... after that i don't remember happening anymore... other than that, i'm quite satisfied with their HD channels in my 50" plasma hdtv

Old 03-23-2007, 09:22 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Don't mean to hijack, Latinocowboy. But which one is a better purchase. Plasma, DLP, or LCD?

Last edited by PrettyHateMachine; 03-23-2007 at 09:48 AM..

Old 03-23-2007, 09:35 AM

422 posts, read 1,450,669 times
Hmmmm...I use the HD reciever provided by Time Warner and really don't have any issues. Every now and then the picture will go blocky for a split second but i just think that's Time Warners signal.

THe DLPs have come way down in price, I think Sears has a 42" Toshiba for 899 now.
If I was to buy a new TV now, I would probably go with an LCD 1080p.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:59 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
I gave up cable and went to direcTV. It's cheaper, more channels, and the picture is great.
The only problem I had was during severe thunderstorm....I lost the satelite. I can only assume it was because the cluds in the storm were so high that it blocked the signal. I should not have had the TV or anything else electric on during that storm.
In any case, I've been very happy with satelite or 3 years.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:18 AM

HD is fine. Picture is razor sharp. It's the standard broadcasting that leaves something to be desired. My old 32" CRT tube TV had a crisper image on standard signals. I was wondering if TWSA's compression is what's deteriorating the signal because my cable box/DVR is fine.

I'll have to check if my set has the internal tuner.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Don't mean to hijack, Latinocowboy. But which one is a better purchase. Plasma, DLP, or LCD?
They all have their pros and cons. It depends on what's important to you. I went with this particular Samsung because of price point and features. I figure that down the road when 1080p programming become more available, my current TV would be moved to the game room.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I gave up cable and went to direcTV. It's cheaper, more channels, and the picture is great.
The only problem I had was during severe thunderstorm....I lost the satelite. I can only assume it was because the cluds in the storm were so high that it blocked the signal. I should not have had the TV or anything else electric on during that storm.
In any case, I've been very happy with satelite or 3 years.
I was very interested in a dish, but I got a great deal on my phone/internet/cable package that I couldn't pass up.

I do wonder if other cable companies will pop up here in San Antonio. Perhaps then, will cable prices drop some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio