U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:50 PM

816 posts, read 1,475,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Funny how posters can refer to "the whole city", but you seem to have a problem with others fighting this problem.
I attended a district-wide community meeting a couple of weeks ago where the topic was graffiti. I live within 410, and was embarrassed that someone from my area dismissed a person's complaints about graffiti simply because this person lived on the far northwest side of town.

Unfortunately, graffiti has taken root everywhere, and encouraging others in their fight against it - regardless of where they live - is the only way we are going to be able to eliminate it.

Another poster mentioned parents. I lived off of Braun Road in the 1980's when the movie "Batman" came out. Our area was tagged with "Joker" signs so heavily that it made the evening news. What did the adults say who were interviewed? "Kids will be kids." Wrong answer! Many parents just accept the fact that their kids are out causing damage to people's property, so I agree that these new regulations should also hold parents accountable in some manner.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:04 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,800,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
I don't live an "uppity" part of town and we've often complained, but nothing is ever done. People started taking matters into their own hands in my neighborhood. A few of us have decided that anyone caught tagging our mailboxes, driveways, walls or wherever, will be hogtied and spray painted with his own paint. I would love to see how he'd explain his situation!
That's the way it should be done. I first thought the same thing a couple of years ago.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:07 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,278,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
Yes...because the segments of the population who don't live in stone oak are willing to tolerate that nonsense. What makes you think that those who live in areas where graffiti is a bigger problem haven't tried to get help?
Ive tried to get help and I doubt I am considered part of this segment of population that is being referred to.

I really feel sometimes that its not a matter of who is and who isnt going to put up with it, its a matter of how important YOUR neighborhood is to San Antonio and the perception the city tries to portray. Areas that are wealthier naturally tend to attract nicer businesses for eating, drinking, socializing, shopping, etc, and those who can afford to do those types of things on a regular basis, so these are the places SA wants to keep looking beautiful, these are the places SA puts REAL money into. But that doesn't mean that people like me who dont live in these areas dont care about their neighborhood.

Some people are actually afraid to do anything about things likes graffiti even though it bothers them as much as it bothers those living in nicer areas. Where I live, tagging isnt about a bored kid vandalizing property, its about making a statement and or threat to other individuals. In my opinion (and because I have seen it firsthand) I will probably get bashed for this, but that "influence" seeps into the suburbs and upper middle class areas, because some of THOSE kids want to emulate what they hear and see about the 'hood.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:33 PM

4,081 posts, read 6,088,755 times
You are so right...they're called "wannabe's". Just like little "wannabe" gangsters. They don't have what it takes to be authentic but they want to leave their "mark" (regardless of the price paid).

Old 03-15-2009, 11:39 PM

4,081 posts, read 6,088,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Another poster mentioned parents. I lived off of Braun Road in the 1980's when the movie "Batman" came out. Our area was tagged with "Joker" signs so heavily that it made the evening news. What did the adults say who were interviewed? "Kids will be kids." Wrong answer! Many parents just accept the fact that their kids are out causing damage to people's property, so I agree that these new regulations should also hold parents accountable in some manner.
And they're the same ones that have the AUDACITY to complain when they get a phone call at 2 am telling them to come down to Juvenile and get Little Johnny and take him home after an evening out destroying public or private property......

Old 03-16-2009, 12:38 AM

72 posts, read 47,098 times
here is a great legal wall
http://www.texasgraffiti.com/san/images/bimg/2004/supher.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-16-2009, 12:42 AM

72 posts, read 47,098 times

Old 03-16-2009, 05:01 AM

14,614 posts, read 31,154,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Save_Burbank View Post
here is a great legal wall
Moderator cut: personal

This is a thread about the nuisance, eyesore, and ridiculous act of "marking one's territory" like a dog that is called "tagging"--not one about murals. Who cares if the "little bastards" won't mess this up? So that gives them a free pass to mess our stuff up? Um, NO!

Start a different thread--they are two totally different topics. Moderator cut: personal

Last edited by Bo; 03-16-2009 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: Per the TOS, we may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:14 AM

778 posts, read 2,219,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post

This is a thread about the nuisance, eyesore, and ridiculous act of "marking one's territory" like a dog that is called "tagging"--not one about murals. Who cares if the "little bastards" won't mess this up? So that gives them a free pass to mess our stuff up? Um, NO!

Start a different thread--they are two totally different topics.
Exactly. This is the crap we think of as tagging: Spray paint on the walls of a church, tags over playground equipment. That ain't no mural.
Attached Thumbnails
San Antonio taggers...BEWARE!!!-l_a0cf5889099b467e8157823c6f7bf31d.jpg   San Antonio taggers...BEWARE!!!-showrespect.jpg   San Antonio taggers...BEWARE!!!-evpark11.jpg  

Last edited by Bo; 03-16-2009 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Updating quote to match original.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:34 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,302,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
That's pretty rich - pun intended. When I lived in Lackland Terrace a decade ago, tagging was a really big problem. I don't think anyone would consider my house in that area or my house in SC78250, uppity.
ha ha, I would definitely consider you the antithesis of uppity if ever there was one.

and I fully support the hog-tying and spray painting of all taggers AND the people that consider any form of illegal spray painting art..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio