U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:29 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,576,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I could see this as a potential problem in some areas especially if it were placed in a remote area. Do they have actual cases where bins have be tried at local apartment complexes? This has been a topic of discussion for about 10 years...and personally we have yet to see a complex that has one. (Not that we've taken inventory... ) It would be great to know about any that are out there!

This reasoning really doesn't quite add up since almost every elementary school in the city has two or more large recycling dumpsters. Are drive by dumpers a problem with these very public recycling dumpsters? Has anyone heard of abuse with school recycling dumpsters?
I don't remember specific details, but I seem to recall "they" said "they'd" tried it and that was the result. I want to say they had seen some success at dorms and on military bases with similar set-ups, but run-of-the-mill apartment complexes weren't worth the effort or expense. The local Sierra Club (Alamo Chapter) as a recycling committee that is currently trying to work this issue and come up with viable solutions.

From what I've seen, school bins (paper only) are located right in the open in plain sight and you typically have to get out and open the small door on the side. If they were to locate those, or bins for other materials, at apartments, they'd likely be required (by the complex) to put it behind a screen much like the dumpsters are. This would invite folks to dump stuff illegally, since they are kind of hidden. I'm sure you've seen a trash dumpster at an apt complex - full of stuff that shouldn't be there like mattresses, etc!

A plus for the schools is that the kids are like little recycling cops! When we first started, I couldn't get away with tossing something in the wrong bin - accidentally or not! I guess another theory is that people (in general) will do right when they associate the deed with good (recycling paper at the school) but when they don't see the benefit (or the harm) they are more apt to not do right (toss trash in a recycle bin that's hidden from public view at an apt complex). Just my theory, mind you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 09:11 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,780,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
I am neither tiny or frailI just prefer to leave it out there. Don't really have a place or want it by the house. I have actually seen people driving by and place something in there that they would have just thrown to the ground.
It's actually illegal to leave your can out when it's not your day for pick-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Oh! I could spend some time on this subject!! First, everyone including the city does need to get serious about recycling!! This new system....not the greatest. Good thing I have my old cans for the overflow. Keeping it all around for a whole week promotes flies and roaches. Lid's been broke on ours for some time. Defective automation or driver/operator. Who replaces the lids or the receptacles and when???? Can you have two cans for those weeks you have a lot extra at times??? They expect you to bag everything?? 6 or 7 13 Gal. bags in stead of one 33 Gal. bag in old cans!! I've seen neighbors with an extra half can of waste on top. Which ends up blowing down the street! One pick/up a week if you miss one .... you're screwed!! I'm not totally against this system but it's got a lot of room for improvement!!
Have you bothered to call 311 to find-out the answers to your questions? The city will fix your broken lid.

Are you aware that in most places garbage pickup is just once a week? We've been spoiled here in SA with twice-a-week pickup.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,827 posts, read 33,239,916 times
I discovered a couple of weeks ago that some things I thought were recyclable in the blue bin are not. According to Solid Waste Management, the following items are not to be put in the blue bin:

• Auto Parts and Motor Oil Containers
  • Facial tissue and toilet paper
  • Packing peanuts
  • Brush
  • Food and wet waste
  • Paper Towels
  • Bagged leaves
  • House Hold Hazardous Waste
  • Shredded paper
  • Batteries
  • Plastic bags
  • Syringes or medical items
  • Coat hangers
  • Plastic utensils
  • Water hoses
  • Diapers
  • Plastic packaging
  • Wax-coated paper drink containers
  • Styrofoam
The "plastic packaging" and the styrofoam surprised me. Most styrofoam is number 1-7, just like the recyclable plastics.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:24 PM

3,157 posts, read 5,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I discovered a couple of weeks ago that some things I thought were recyclable in the blue bin are not. According to Solid Waste Management, the following items are not to be put in the blue bin:

• Auto Parts and Motor Oil Containers
  • Facial tissue and toilet paper
  • Packing peanuts
  • Brush
  • Food and wet waste
  • Paper Towels
  • Bagged leaves
  • House Hold Hazardous Waste
  • Shredded paper
  • Batteries
  • Plastic bags
  • Syringes or medical items
  • Coat hangers
  • Plastic utensils
  • Water hoses
  • Diapers
  • Plastic packaging
  • Wax-coated paper drink containers
  • Styrofoam
The "plastic packaging" and the styrofoam surprised me. Most styrofoam is number 1-7, just like the recyclable plastics.
I went to the neighborhood meeting that Solid Waste held earlier this year prior to the switch to automated collection in my area. They had some examples of recyclable materials on hand, among them were a styrofoam cup, and a styrofoam egg carton. Someone asked about styrofoam packing materials. Solid Waste said "no".

I also thought plastic bags (like grocery bags) were acceptable, as long as they displayed the triangular recycling symbol. I recall it was recommended that multiple plastic bags be stuffed into a single bag, and that bag be tied closed to keep them from blowing all over the place. Someone asked about plastic trash bag type bags. Solid Waste said "no".

The key seems to be that if plastic or styrofoam does not display the triangular recycling symbol, it isn't recyclable.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:52 AM

284 posts, read 943,825 times
This is confusing. Someone from Solid Waste said at a neighborhood meeting that styrofoam with a number and symbol were ok, but on the city's site where the acceptable materials are listed and described, it says this:

"Plastics: Labeled #1 through #7 (no styrofoam). Look for the recycling symbol on the bottom."

This indicates that they want no styrofoam at all to me.

Plastic bags were accepted at the curb previously. I remember the instructions for tying them up together to keep them from blowing around from the open curbside recycling receptacle days. At some time, they dropped plastic bags from the list of items that were acceptable.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:25 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,364,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
We don't have the recycling where we live but we have the huge trash can from Tiger. I am lucky that I can just leave it out by the road and don't have to haul it back and forth but I love the can!
Hello Camper1 -Here in the VOWC Tiger does offer recycling although its a small bin which fills up rather quick. Do a lot of your neighbors out there use Tiger? If so they may start to offer it to you.

By the way there is nothing wrong with leaving that 96 Gallon Trash Can out. You live in a Rural Area so not much would be said. I see it all the time.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:13 PM

898 posts, read 2,560,582 times
so sooner or later, all of san antonio will have these? I moved in july to the st, mary's university area from the balcones heights area, and that is when i first saw these receptacles. I like em.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:47 PM

3,157 posts, read 5,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
so sooner or later, all of san antonio will have these? I moved in july to the st, mary's university area from the balcones heights area, and that is when i first saw these receptacles. I like em.
Yes, all routes in the City of San Antonio that have garbage/recyclables picked up by the City's Solid Waste Division that haven't already been converted to automated collection should have it by this time next year.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:09 PM

898 posts, read 2,560,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Yes, all routes in the City of San Antonio that have garbage/recyclables picked up by the City's Solid Waste Division that haven't already been converted to automated collection should have it by this time next year.
thanx for the info

Old 09-20-2009, 06:19 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,484,407 times
I agree with the apt complexes not having recycling bins/dumpsters. I'm lucky that my parents live in town so I take the recyclables to their home. For us serious minded folks that live in apartments, I guess the only thing we can do know is take our recyclables to work, a friends house to put in their bin, family, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio