Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 04:38 PM

8,746 posts, read 8,995,974 times

Advertisements

My dad has lived in San Antonio for over 20 years so I've been down there MANY times over the years and I absolutely love it!

For brevity's sake here's what I love the most:

-Friendly people (the friendliest of any large city in the state IMO)
-LOTS of things to do. I have enjoyed all the usual tourist spots many times over the years (Sea World, Fiesta Texas, etc.), but also the special events in the area (Fiesta, Wurstfest over in nearby New Braunfels)
-LOTS of great restaurants (too many to mention here)
-The River Walk. I never get tired of strolling along the river and eating the great food and great desserts along the way.
-Great outdoor activities in the area (lots of lakes, rivers, etc.)

What I hate: (it's really hard to think of anything!)

-I suppose I would say the humidity in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 11:58 PM

5 posts, read 9,933 times
Smile Relocation too?

I am desperately looking for a place to retire. I live in Denver and am tired of the winter. I am a citrus grower so I need someplace warm. I have considered Phoenix but HATE the home floorplans(no sunshine in the house). I want to stay in the Mtn time zone(perferably). I have considered McAllen and other cities..now SA. from reading the comments listed here I am not really interest in living there. I am a single waspy kind of person. Looking for somewhere to live... any suggestions!! Need Dry and Sunny.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:02 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,785,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro35 View Post
I am desperately looking for a place to retire. I live in Denver and am tired of the winter. I am a citrus grower so I need someplace warm. I have considered Phoenix but HATE the home floorplans(no sunshine in the house). I want to stay in the Mtn time zone(perferably). I have considered McAllen and other cities..now SA. from reading the comments listed here I am not really interest in living there. I am a single waspy kind of person. Looking for somewhere to live... any suggestions!! Need Dry and Sunny.
Wait, so you don't want to live here...but you want suggestions from us regarding where you should live? No thanks. Besides, no good sized cities in TX are in the Mountain Time Zone except for El Paso.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:10 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,741,673 times
Quote:
You should move to Lufkin, TX. It meets every one of those criteria.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:45 AM

322 posts, read 771,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Wait, so you don't want to live here...but you want suggestions from us regarding where you should live? No thanks. Besides, no good sized cities in TX are in the Mountain Time Zone except for El Paso.
haha! That's exactly what i was going to write! It's like walking into a coffee shop and saying, "I really need a coffee but I don't like your coffee. Could you tell me where I could get some good coffee??"

Old 06-25-2009, 06:50 AM

322 posts, read 771,968 times
Quote:
A citrus grower in Denver? I guess if you have a greenhouse eh? I don't understand how NO houses in Phoenix have any sunshine. I think you excluded Phoenix for other reasons....

Have your pick here

Time Zones for U.S. Cities and Towns - U.S. Time Zone Map - Internet Accuracy Project
USA time zones map with current local time 12 hour format

-- Personally, I'm voting you live in Cornville, AZ. Wherever the h*** that is! I think it would be perfect for you!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:46 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,293,428 times
Likes - Tourist spots,food, Spurs, Sporting events at the dome
Beautiful College girls at UTSA
The Hill Country SM NB Fredricksburg Proximity
Loop 410 on the Northside
Family in SA
Dislike- SA is a divided town with major social/racial problems

Old 06-25-2009, 10:44 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,270,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Dislike- SA is a divided town with major social/racial problems
Could you elaborate on this? Considering some of the racial tensions I've seen in New York and Los Angeles, DC, even Chicago, I have always felt San Antonio to be extremely race friendly. You can walk into a bar, restaurant, store, etc, and see people of various ethnic backgrounds minlgling peacefully and amicably. I'm not aware of any race-based violence in San Antonio in recent memory.

I will grant you there are some socio-ecomomic divisions (Northside vs Southside) but certainly no more and probably far less than in other major cities.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:46 PM

5 posts, read 9,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deek102 View Post
A citrus grower in Denver? I guess if you have a greenhouse eh? I don't understand how NO houses in Phoenix have any sunshine. I think you excluded Phoenix for other reasons....

Have your pick here

Time Zones for U.S. Cities and Towns - U.S. Time Zone Map - Internet Accuracy Project
USA time zones map with current local time 12 hour format

-- Personally, I'm voting you live in Cornville, AZ. Wherever the h*** that is! I think it would be perfect for you!
What I mean about no sunshine in the house is that the dozen or so houses I have been in are usually north/south facing with the living room/family room on the north side of the house. The north side usually has a large overhang with about a 10' long porch ceiling) so no sun can get in the house. My current house is north/south with the southside where the family room is at least 30 - 50 glass. It is very sunny. I have no problem keep the hot summer sun out. I had considered Suprise AZ but it is a poor real estate investment since it is to far away of a major city (it is about an hour nw of phoenix). I also have a greenhouse in Denver. It gets old having to deal with it. The last hail storm put 7 holes in the roof.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:59 PM

18,045 posts, read 25,090,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XVS View Post
I concur with your sentiments regarding being surprised when someone here shares something in common with you - as an example, I was shopping at the now defunct Sharper Image at La Cantera, and this guy was playing Minus 8, a rather obscure nujazz "band" out of Switzerland.
My story beats yours,
I was on the Riverwalk and a guy saw me with a jersey of a team from Caracas and started talking to me.
He grew up in Caracas and I grew up just outside Caracas (like saying San Antonio and New Braunfels)

That's not all, he came to the US the same year than I did (a long time ago)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio