U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 06:12 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,015,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksa09 View Post
Love the Spanish skyline?
But needs to be higher?
Forget it! SA does not want it. We like our "Small Town" feel.

Organized streets?
SA does not want it. The natives know how to navigate SA.
It keeps the transplants confused and confined to the Stone Oak area.
Hense, all the major congestion out there now.

Weather?
We are supposed to control that too!!??
Geezzz!!! Go back north where the freezing, snowing and clogged streets suit what your looking for.

SA's expansion is another "bubble". Just give it time.
The "Natives" will survive. We have been there already.
As a native, I say there's no need to be rude. His comments were really not that bad. Mostly misunderstood. San Antonio streets for the most part and except for the far north, tend to follow rivers and streams. That's the way a lot of cities were originally built way back. Unlike the newer cities with straight north/south/east/west streets. And most cities that have high skylines don't have the vast amount of land and sprawl we enjoy so there's really no need for skyscrapers here. The weather? When it gets too hot, go to one of the above mentioned rivers or streams.

Last edited by RGJ; 04-08-2010 at 07:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 06:21 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,448,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
As a native, I say there's no need to be rude. His comments were really not that bad. Mostly misunderstood.
True! What's the saying: Different strokes for different folks. What one person may find appealing another finds revolting.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:33 PM

122 posts, read 313,386 times
That is what makes SA so different.
We don't want to be like Dallas or Houston with all the glass skyskrapers and concrete high-rise buildings. We like our highest buildings being the Tower of the America's and the Tower Life Building. That is what keeps us unique and the "small town" feel. I/we like diving and walking downtown SA without being completly shaded out by high-rise buildings. We don't want to be the next "Chicago", "Detroit" or compared to Dallas or Houston. So "transplant" or anyone who wants to change the "face/feel" of SA to many locals is very opposed. I would say it is an assault on SA by "outsiders/transplants" to make SA what they moved away from. We like the more "laid-back" attitude of life and business. Not the "gotta have it yesterday" attitude that seems to prevail the business world now.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:41 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,753,608 times
Quote:
That is what makes SA so different.
We don't want to be like Dallas or Houston with all the glass skyskrapers and concrete high-rise buildings. We like our highest buildings being the Tower of the America's and the Tower Life Building. That is what keeps us unique and the "small town" feel. I/we like diving and walking downtown SA without being completly shaded out by high-rise buildings. We don't want to be the next "Chicago", "Detroit" or compared to Dallas or Houston. So "transplant" or anyone who wants to change the "face/feel" of SA to many locals is very opposed. I would say it is an assault on SA by "outsiders/transplants" to make SA what they moved away from. We like the more "laid-back" attitude of life and business. Not the "gotta have it yesterday" attitude that seems to prevail the business world now.
Wow man, like seriously calm down. I'm sorry if what I said offended you, but at the same time I'm not going to apologize for speaking my mind. The thread says things you love/hate about SA and I did exactly that. I don't understand why my opinion even holds significance to you? You realize it's just my opinion, right? Not a big deal.

And I don't want it to be like Houston, that's why I said I like the style of it's buildings, if I wanted it to be like Houston, then I'd say I want glass buildings in SA. I like the cityscape SA has right now, and I just thought that if the downtown had bigger and higher buildings made with the same style that it could be an iconic skyline for the country, I haven't seen a city with traditional style skyline of that size before.... that's all.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:10 PM

122 posts, read 313,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Wow man, like seriously calm down. I'm sorry if what I said offended you, but at the same time I'm not going to apologize for speaking my mind. The thread says things you love/hate about SA and I did exactly that. I don't understand why my opinion even holds significance to you? You realize it's just my opinion, right? Not a big deal.

And I don't want it to be like Houston, that's why I said I like the style of it's buildings, if I wanted it to be like Houston, then I'd say I want glass buildings in SA. I like the cityscape SA has right now, and I just thought that if the downtown had bigger and higher buildings made with the same style that it could be an iconic skyline for the country, I haven't seen a city with traditional style skyline of that size before.... that's all.
Don't take such offence. Your not offending me. Just stating what I think the general opinion of a San Antonian

Old 04-08-2010, 07:15 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,310,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Pfffffffffftttt......I get the door held open for me at least a dozen times a day
That's because your a hottie!!

Old 04-08-2010, 07:44 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,797,219 times
Quote:
Love the Spanish skyline?
But needs to be higher?
Forget it! SA does not want it. We like our "Small Town" feel.

Organized streets?
SA does not want it. The natives know how to navigate SA.
It keeps the transplants confused and confined to the Stone Oak area.
Hense, all the major congestion out there now.

Weather?
We are supposed to control that too!!??
Geezzz!!! Go back north where the freezing, snowing and clogged streets suit what your looking for.

SA's expansion is another "bubble". Just give it time.
The "Natives" will survive. We have been there already.
Drunk posting at 5 in the evening? Man you get an early start!

Old 04-08-2010, 07:54 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,015,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
That's because your a hottie!!
What's the first thing men look at when they open the door for a woman and then follow them in? I'll never tell

Old 04-08-2010, 07:57 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,170,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
What's the first thing men look at when they open the door for a woman and then follow them in? I'll never tell
You mean when they walk behind them?

Hey don't y'all think everyone is being a little overly defensive on this thread? If C-D isn't here to have a fun time and enjoy each other's company and share all the stuff about the area, then why are we here?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:00 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,797,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Hey don't y'all think everyone is being a little overly defensive on this thread? If C-D isn't here to have a fun time and enjoy each other's company and share all the stuff about the area, then why are we here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or