U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 02:51 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,161,843 times

Advertisements

Love
The history
The culture
The Riverwalk
The Missions
Lots to do
Beautiful weather (where else can you drive an open Jeep in late December?)
The great food and restaurants
The Hill Country
That Texas “feel”

Hate
Unbridled development. Every beautiful piece of land is being bulldozed to build what appears to be tract houses, then they plant some scrawny little tree to replace the beautiful oaks they ripped out. Of course, this all leads to cheap housing, so a second thing I hate is the mad land rush that people from California and other states are making to Texas because we still have a decent housing market. This leads to congestion and greater traffic problems as the infrastructure here wasn’t designed for this rate of growth. And more traffic leads to worse drivers…

Special "Hate" Category - Driving:
• Drivers who sit in the left lane all the time and won’t move over for faster traffic (it is against the law, y’know!)
• People who have to drive in “clumps” (groups of cars all going at the same speed that you cannot get around) again not letting anyone get by (also against the law).
• People who pull out in front of you despite looking directly at you
• People who can’t yield properly (yes, that means stopping if necessary)
• People who can’t signal lane changes
• People who make those suicide moves when they almost miss their exit and they are in the far left lane (see above)
• People who tailgate. Despite that huge exhaust on your 4-banger car, you are not a good driver. Heck, I hardly believe you can walk and chew gum at the same time, much less react and avoid an accident when following that close.
• People who are so important that they have to talk on their phones while they drive (hey, cell phones are no longer a status symbol. My 10-yr-old has one!)
• People who play with their Blackberry, eat, put on make-up and basically do everything else but drive
• People who flip you off when you honk at them, even though they are the ones who did something stupid. At least be adult enough to admit you made a mistake!
• People who believe that the deafening bass that is vibrating their crummy car to pieces is “music.” Oh, and despite what you may think, most people over the age of 14 aren’t impressed!
• People who aren’t smart enough to realize that my 3500 lb Jeep is almost entirely made out of steel and will crush their little foreign cars that have bodywork that is the thickness of a Coke can like, well a Coke can; but still will pull out in front of me despite the fact that I have lights on all the time. Are you really that blind and/or stupid?

Bottom line, this is a great place to live with wonderful weather and tons to do. Unfortunately, everyone knows that and is flocking to move here, and basically that will destroy or at least deteriorate the charm that San Antonio once had.

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 03:04 PM

2,330 posts, read 6,271,716 times
Mad.. I think we are already there...

For instance.. in my neighborhood, I have had these little kids use my vehicle for target practice with their paint balls. They think it is cute. However, I am not impressed. One of my neighbors had their back window busted in with a rock. Someone driving by decided to practice their hand grenade toss with a rock and found the back of his window.

I am sick and tired of the near misses I have had with those people who drive and talk.. and try to take a drink at the same time.. My question is this? What hand is on the steering wheel?

Driving is my pet peeve also.. too many people not paying attention to what is going on while driving and hence we have a lot of dumb things occuring while people are in motion. Oh and lets not talk about Mister X who swerved into me the other day trying to get in front of me because he was in a rush on Jones Maltsberger trying to get where? His Funeral maybe. He almost hit 3 or 4 cars in his rush.

The growth in the city has definitely changed what it was like, to be honest I think we are becoming one of those New York City type of places at times. Road rage has increased and it seems everyone is always in a rush to get somewhere. Sometimes I feel I live in a war zone with some of the stuff that goes on and the disrespect that people have for other people's property.

What do I like about the city?

I love the culture and the diversity of it. There is plenty of it around here. I love walking the Riverwalk.. never get tired of it even though I have been there a few hundred times and I enjoy the good times I have during those festive events.

I think San Antonio is going through some serious growing pains and I see it every day. The roads are not big enough for the traffic we have and probably will not be big enough for a long time.

So lets see.. what about those Dallas Cowboys?

Old 12-21-2007, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,898 times
Default Love SA town! but live in seattle

10 things i love about you (SA)

10. People are real friendly, definitely a small town feeling
9. Everyone drives fast it helps when im late
8. It doesnt rain a lot (like in seattle) you actually see the sun
7. Hispanic and spanish speaking everywhere
6. Downtown, with riverwalk,rivercenter the ALAMO
5. 1Dollar movies
4. All the BBQ Bill Millers Toms Ribs Rudys BBQ
3. Sonic ,Chic-fil-a,Raspas All in one city
2. Mexican food yes the breakfast Tacos
1. How bout them SPURS!

Old 12-21-2007, 08:16 PM

5,635 posts, read 13,974,263 times
madmax, you said it. I agree.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:37 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,358,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Absolutely love, love, love downtown!! (Check out May's issue of San Antonio Magazine for a beautiful pictorial on downtown architecture!)

Hate - no In n' Out or Trader Joe's.

okay, ditto and ditto and ditto....... YEP......

Old 01-27-2008, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 13,457 times
Thumbs down I HAte San Antonio

I moved away from San Antonio when my sons were starting middle school because of serious violence in school. One of my sons had been getting attacked every day at school with the teacher and principals never doing a thing, until the day a kid from the same group of bullies thought he'd punch my son repeadedly in the back of the head in front of the teacher who did nothing, finally my son turned around and beat the kid down. The teacher hid under the desk! This was the only way my son could make him stop hitting him. After that my son was being pressured to join a gang. My other son has Asperger's Syndrome and we were caring for a friends 2 children as well, when we decided to get them out of here. Now my sons and all the kids are grown up. We came back to try and start our Carpentry business up again.
Guess what...My son, the one with Asperger's has his own place near ours and two months ago a stray bullet (turned out to be a frozen paint ball) flew through his bedroom window above his head. YESTERDAY my son was alone skating toward HEB when a group of thugs in a gold car start harrassing him, throwing things at him and driving around and around him. They acted like they were going to drive off when suddenly a gun shot flew my sons way, hitting a chainlink fence. My son ran to a strangers house and told them to call police.
I absolutely so far, Hate San Antonio, again. I'm stuck here on a lease.

Maybe Things are better in North San Antonio, but over here by the military base it is hell.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 13,457 times
Default It used to be nice

San ANtonio USED to be one of the easiest cities to drive in. LOL

I Used to Love San Antonio because Even though we were in the city, we could look around and see hills and country all around...Now it's all apartments and rooftops.

I Loved visiting San Antonio downtown...But living here and trying to raise kids here is hard.

Maybe North SA is nicer, but the way I feel right now is what I posted a minute ago.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:57 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,377,206 times
LOVE the beautiful, 70+ degree days where you can open the windows and wear shortsleeves and shorts in the middle of winter!

THIS is why we live in South Texas!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:09 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,428,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightdaysaweek View Post
I moved away from San Antonio when my sons were starting middle school because of serious violence in school. One of my sons had been getting attacked every day at school with the teacher and principals never doing a thing, until the day a kid from the same group of bullies thought he'd punch my son repeadedly in the back of the head in front of the teacher who did nothing, finally my son turned around and beat the kid down. The teacher hid under the desk! This was the only way my son could make him stop hitting him. After that my son was being pressured to join a gang. My other son has Asperger's Syndrome and we were caring for a friends 2 children as well, when we decided to get them out of here. Now my sons and all the kids are grown up. We came back to try and start our Carpentry business up again.
Guess what...My son, the one with Asperger's has his own place near ours and two months ago a stray bullet (turned out to be a frozen paint ball) flew through his bedroom window above his head. YESTERDAY my son was alone skating toward HEB when a group of thugs in a gold car start harrassing him, throwing things at him and driving around and around him. They acted like they were going to drive off when suddenly a gun shot flew my sons way, hitting a chainlink fence. My son ran to a strangers house and told them to call police.
I absolutely so far, Hate San Antonio, again. I'm stuck here on a lease.

Maybe Things are better in North San Antonio, but over here by the military base it is hell.
where the heck do you live?!?!?!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:22 PM

140 posts, read 463,374 times
I love san antonio! the weather, the fact that my best friend lives here, the southernness of it and the food!
I hate: the traffic, the drivers! and the fact that my in laws live here too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or