Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 08:52 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,680,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Forgot this one:

- Has anybody thought about putting a sign on 281 by the airport to let people know that planes might fly 50 ft. above them at 500MPH?
The 1st time I saw a plane flying right over my car it scared the @$#% out of me.

Someday I'd like to try the Tequila or Vodka that the guys that designed 281 (from downtown to 410) were drinking.

I think it's kinda fun seeing the planes landing when I'm driving down 281, right above my head!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 10:16 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,023 times
I love everything about San Antonio.
I hate the bashers of my beautiful city.
And yes, I was and raised here, though I have also lived in Austin, San Francisco, Houston and St. Louis.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:54 PM

7 posts, read 24,913 times
Hello all, and hopefully someone can help. We are military currently in St. Louis, and are moving to Lackland early next year and will be there for four years. We want to live on base, but can't seem to get any info on base housing yet. I know it's on Medina Base Annex, but thats about it. And, if we can't get on base yet, we might rent for a while. Where should we look for rental properties? Safe and quite neighborhoods of course.
Sorry, but we don't want to buy in Texas, just in case the housing market stays poor. We are both northerners, and would rather stay up north, but the Air Force wants us in Texas. We hope to have a great time, and I've heard many good things about San Antonio. We will have two kids with us, and I am excited about all the things to do with them.
So, please help! Oh, and our rank is O-3, for the base housing neighborhood.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:25 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,680,780 times
After being in Houston this past weekend...YES, San Antonio is one HELL of a great city!!!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:54 PM

10 posts, read 59,497 times
Exclamation Education Level Baffles Me

As I see more drop-outs hang out at the malls during school hours (yes, they should be in school), I will know that they will contribute to most of the crime and wellfare issues SA is overwhelmed with. I absolutely hate that, even though there are those luxurious and well-off neighborhoods, we also have some filthy garbage that continues to harm our good people. We need some kind of outreach program that will work and saves these troubled lives. Sorry, just a bit frustrated with all the relentless crime that could have all been prevented.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:11 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,832 times
SA is my home town but I have lived in Austin for many years now. It makes me very sad when I go back now and see how its genteel ways have disappeared. Even the older central neighborhoods have sprouted bloated McMansions. Driving out I-10 or 281 is nightmarish with all the concrete, chain stores and sprawl. SA sold its soul long ago.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:22 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Born and Raised San Antonio:

Like:
Low cost of living

Dislike:
Lack of career opportunities for college graduates (Bachelor's and Master's degree levels)
Low pay
Stereotypes some folks who live in the Northside have of folks who live in the Southside

Old 04-07-2009, 02:45 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
You're not the only one wondering about Spurs fans. I was born and raised in San Antonio and we have many folks at work, people I see out on the street talking or in the grocery store, who cheer for the Spurs in good times and hate them when they are down. I'm going to Austin myself. See ya there!

Old 04-07-2009, 03:28 PM

32 posts, read 44,323 times
Lack of culture, lack of diversity, lack of people from outside SA/South Texas and cosmopolitan feel, the horrible roads, the generally worn look of the city, the underachievers, the small town mentality, lack of business opportunities, and just the HOPELESS vibe of the city.

I mean, I drive around San Antonio and it just feels so HOPELESS; like a city that's had it's heyday long ago, and now has just gotten fat, lazy, content, and let itself go completely (kind of like a lot of the residents).

It just doesn't have that FRESH "I can conquer the world vibe" that you get in Austin, Dallas, and Houston. It just feels so dead and pathetic. Now, I see why no companies want to head quarter here, and probably never will...truthfully, it's not just because the city doesn't have a very educated population. It also has something to do with the non-corporate vibe one gets when driving through the city.

It's quite depressing.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:56 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sans ersatz modelisto View Post
I mean, I drive around San Antonio and it just feels so HOPELESS;

It's quite depressing.
Well, surely you've passed I-10 on one of your drives, and possibly I-35. The former runs east and west OUTTA here, and the latter runs north and south. Life is too short to be so HOPELESS-feeling. Seriously, change your surroundings if you're not happy where you are. Tons of us (literally, right?) are happy here and many of us would be happy ANYWHERE. Take control!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio