Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:18 PM

17 posts, read 57,475 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My family and I are planning a move to San Antonio, within the next two months, My Husband was offered a job there, he is in the medical field. I do have a few questions/concerns....
I will be in nursing school, how is the market there for nurses??
Other questions, we have two little boys, getting ready for our eldest to be in elementry school, how are the schools, neighborhood if we chose to live in SA itself..
And final question, and I mean no disrespect but we are a Caucasian family, I know San Antonio is largely hispanic but is it where we will feel out of place, are kids not fit in with school or sports.....etc
I would any advice you could give me.
Thank you

Old 02-02-2012, 11:59 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,982,518 times
City Data has detailed demographic information by zip code. That might help you when looking at houses and deciding on a neighborhood. http://www.city-data.com/zipmaps/San...xas.html#78201

This link might help regarding the schools. San Antonio Schools - San Antonio Texas School Ratings - Public and Private

I was under the impression there was still a shortage of Nurses in the USA, as I'd read about hospitals in other states getting nurses from the Philippines. This article I found speaks more specifically about the problem new nursing graduates have had. Whether this holds true in S.A., I don't know. Still it's best to be aware of any potential problems.
No Jobs for New Grad RNs 2011, Unemployed and Lacking Experience - NewGradRN.com (http://www.newgradrn.com/article-5---no-jobs-for-new-grad-rns-2011-unemployed-and-lacking-experience.html - broken link)

Good luck on your move.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:02 AM

20 posts, read 47,632 times
San Antonio is a great place to raise a family! There are a lot of great neighborhoods, and I'm sure your family will be happy and fit in well here. There is also a huge demand for nurses- I did a quick search on monster.com and came up with 45 jobs posted within the last seven days alone.

Northside and Northeast Independent School Districts always rate highest for elementary schools, which would put you somewhere around hwy 281 and 1604 (zip codes 78258, 78259-- somewhere around there). The trade off though is at that the traffic is pretty terrible in these areas.

Schools are also really stellar in Schertz/Cibolo/Selma (a little bit north of San Antonio) and housing is very affordable in that area.

Good luck!

Old 02-03-2012, 07:39 AM

487 posts, read 991,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich33 View Post
Hi,
My family and I are planning a move to San Antonio, within the next two months, My Husband was offered a job there, he is in the medical field. I do have a few questions/concerns....
I will be in nursing school, how is the market there for nurses??
Other questions, we have two little boys, getting ready for our eldest to be in elementry school, how are the schools, neighborhood if we chose to live in SA itself..
And final question, and I mean no disrespect but we are a Caucasian family, I know San Antonio is largely hispanic but is it where we will feel out of place, are kids not fit in with school or sports.....etc
I would any advice you could give me.
Thank you
If you are trying to stay away from Hispanics, then try the old money areas like Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills, Shavano Park . If you are willing to put up with "wealthy" Hispanics then try the farther north area around La Cantera or Stone Oak.

If you don't care about race but want to be surrounded by nice people, then pretty much you can choose any area in San Antonio...

Old 02-03-2012, 07:54 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
Your kids will fit in just fine, regardless of race. My kids are half hispanic, my older one looks hispanic and my younger one doesn't...neither one has trouble fitting in at school. Sometimes people will assume they had different dads, but that's just people being nosy, and they ask me, not my kids.

In my neighborhood, there's a good mix of hispanic, black and white, all seem to get along fine.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:32 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,470,334 times
I think it's funny when white people are concerned about moving into an area where they are going to be the minority. You know, some ethnic groups have to deal with being a minority in most of the U.S. and they survive. White people make up 26.6% of the San Antonio population, which is a large minority. For minorities, having that large of a percentage of their own people in a city would make them jump for joy.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:46 AM

679 posts, read 1,801,958 times
We moved to TX from the Midwest and my Anglo kids go to a school that is over half Hispanic. My son has bonded so closely with some of his Hispanic friends that sometimes I believe he thinks he IS Hispanic. He is picking up a very interesting accent... LOL. But really it's been wonderful for them to learn about other cultures and experience far more diversity than we had in the north. Generally speaking, everyone has been very welcoming.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:53 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I think it's funny when white people are concerned about moving into an area where they are going to be the minority. You know, some ethnic groups have to deal with being a minority in most of the U.S. and they survive. White people make up 26.6% of the San Antonio population, which is a large minority. For minorities, having that large of a percentage of their own people in a city would make them jump for joy.
I guess I'm missing the humor, maybe you could explain it?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,459 times
I do not think the OP mentioned anything at all stating they wished to avoid Hispanics, but merely asked if they, a Caucasian family, would fit in.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:56 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,470,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
I guess I'm missing the humor, maybe you could explain it?
I already did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio