Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:16 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times

Advertisements

A heads up to everyone that wants to have their property value lowered or at least really looked at. I just got this email from BCAD. If your property value didn't increase by more than $1,000 you won't be notified?! So, start looking right after income tax day.

Quote:
Notices will begin to be placed in the mail mid-April. A notice will be mailed to property owner’s whose value increases by $1000 or more from the previous year.
Please let us know if you need additional information.
Thank you.
Jennifer Rodriguez
Executive Assistant on behalf of
Customer Information Department
Bexar Appraisal District
210-242-2432

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 03:43 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Ah. I understand where you're coming from now.

Disclosures shouldn't be required on either side.
True, but that's what I plan on going in armed with. My sale price is way below the county's figure. Guess that's what happens when you pick up the fixer in the neighborhood. I'm taking in pictures of the roof (no way it should be graded in very good condition at all) and other problems, inside and out.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:52 PM

475 posts, read 1,094,151 times
Just so I understand it:

If the appraisal district overvalues your property after a sale, you have to jump through hoops through a protest process to get them to drop the assessed value.

If the appraisal district undervalues your property after a sale, they do not want to go through any work; let mandatory disclosure laws do the work for them.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:55 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Ah. I understand where you're coming from now.

Disclosures shouldn't be required on either side.
I disagree.

As Bowie pointed out, commercial property owners have valuations that are (generally) much lower than valuations on individual homes. Comps for home sales are easy to find (MLS & recorded debt). It's very difficult to find and verify commercial sales comps.

It's also makes more economic sense for commercial property owners to fight appraisals (with both consultants & lawyers), since the amount of money at stake is so large. There are many firms that do nothing but ad valorem tax consulting (basically, arguing with BCAD).

Both of these factors mean that individual homeowners pay a disproportionate share of the property tax burden. If we're not going to have a state income tax (which I would at least consider), then we should have a more fair, transparant, and functional system than what currently exists. And mandatory sales price disclosure is the only way to do that.

And I think it's silly to argue that mandatory disclosure is a "gateway drug" to transfer fees. The one thing everyone I think can agree on is that if the government wants to levy a tax, they're going to find a way to do it (whether it's income, sales, property, etc.). We might as well make everyone pay their fair share.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
True, but that's what I plan on going in armed with. My sale price is way below the county's figure. Guess that's what happens when you pick up the fixer in the neighborhood. I'm taking in pictures of the roof (no way it should be graded in very good condition at all) and other problems, inside and out.
For the first assessment after a sale, you don't have to schedule a hearing. You can just go down to the BCAD offics and speak with a clerk. They'll copy your sale docs and adjust your valuation down to what you paid.

I know you're not in town much, so you might even be able to handle this with them over the phone and by faxing in your sale docs. I did it in person.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:26 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Oh Joy! When you're all done with the valuation process, then the local taxing entities get to raise their rates!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:43 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
For the first assessment after a sale, you don't have to schedule a hearing. You can just go down to the BCAD offics and speak with a clerk. They'll copy your sale docs and adjust your valuation down to what you paid.

I know you're not in town much, so you might even be able to handle this with them over the phone and by faxing in your sale docs. I did it in person.
I'll be able to do it in person. I should be over there for most of April and May, and that sounds like when everything is supposed to happen. Good to know that they don't take too long, although I was hoping to really push things because I looked up my place online and everything is listed as 'good' shape. Including the roof which really isn't.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:11 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I'll be able to do it in person. I should be over there for most of April and May, and that sounds like when everything is supposed to happen. Good to know that they don't take too long, although I was hoping to really push things because I looked up my place online and everything is listed as 'good' shape. Including the roof which really isn't.
Take pictures and evidence of quotes to repair. Been there, done that.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:17 PM

322 posts, read 774,813 times
Has anyone ever hired a company or individual to protest their Bexar county appraisal? BCAD didn't raise mine that badly this year, unlike years past, but I got a letter from a company out of Houston, O'Conner & Associates, with a comparison of other houses in my neighborhood and saying that I'm paying almost 20k more than I "should."

Has anyone used this particular company? If not, any recommendations? Also, I feel kind of guilty hiring this out... how does this stuff normally go over with BCAD?

The first year we lived in the house I did exactly what Bowie & sinsativ suggested -- took the sales record over there along with evidence of the amount of work I'd need to do to fix up the house.

This year I don't really have that option but if I can get my property taxes down you're dang right I want to! :-)

Quick responses are appreciated! I only have until May 31st to protest!

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deek102 View Post
Has anyone ever hired a company or individual to protest their Bexar county appraisal
I tried it once. I don't remember what company I used. They worked on contingency, charging a percentage of the savings if they were successful in getting the tax lowered. They weren't successful, so it didn't cost anything.

I have no idea what strategy they used or how much effort they put into the protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio