Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:45 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
No, I think she'll be very appreciative of all the money you've spent on her and no man will ever take your place. Cheer up.....at least she found a job and if things are better there....take the plunge and move there yourself.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:07 PM

299 posts, read 607,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Is she available to date now? I have a buddy in Fl that's looking...he's successful, if she's looking for security.
Oh that's priceless!

HAHAHAHA

Old 07-24-2009, 02:20 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
The part I don't seem to understand about people today looking for a job is it seems to me it is THE job or NO job. If I were in need of an income, I would work SOME job while continuing to search for THE job...but that is just me.
Problem is that some income means you no longer qualify for many benefits, including medicaid. So, if you work a low-paying job which helps but doesn't make ends meet or give you health benefits, you're screwed because you're not eligible for assistance. So the way the system is set up, you're better off not working at all.

I have a friend who with her husband and partners own a small business. She also had a regular job which allowed her some regular income and health insurance. Her husband ran the business full time, which is surviving but not rolling in $. At 7 months pregnant, she was laid off. She has no health insurance, cobra she'd have to pay out of pocket and the cost is too high. Since their business isn't really making a profit, she qualifies for medicaid. We all discussed her husband getting an outside job (at 7 months pg, the likelihood of her getting hired was small), but it wasn't likely he'd get a job which gave them health benefits fast enough or covering enough for her pregnancy. By not working an outside job, she can get medicaid - and be covered for her birth.

I will never forget a story I heard years ago of a woman in NY - found herself newly divorced, trying to feed/house her 3 kids, no spousal/child support. She temporarily went on welfare/assistance. Wasn't long overall - maybe a year or so, while she managed to get herself back on her feet. Eventually she was able to get a decent job/benefits and go off welfare. Success story yes? Well, since she now had a job, the state wanted her to pay back - not just as in taxes, but in pay back $ for $ since she no longer needed the assistance. She'd have been better off never getting the new job. I think she managed to fight it and win, but she should have been set up as a shining example of why welfare assistance is there - to help people get through a temporary difficult time.

In the current economic climate, this is of special importance. And not everyone earns an income that allows them to save a year's worth of income just for a rainy day. Yes, all should save, but when your monthly paycheck barely covers your expenses - and I don't mean LV purses, I mean food, shelter, healthcare - one month of no pay can force a family managing to get by onto assistance. Unfortunately, the way the system is set up, it rewards those who stay on assistance.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:03 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Wouldn't they be "paying you back" when they go to work within your community as a nurse, teacher, mechanic, doctor, laywer etc?
I was unaware one need a college degree for that.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:06 PM

546 posts, read 1,499,782 times
I am 26 have a great paying job that has the best benefits, but i worked my ass off and applied myself to have the job i have today. I dont feel that people like myself and others who applied themselves to achieve more need to carry the weight of those who dont. If you have a crappy 7 dollar an hour job blame yourself for not getting a higher education or skill set that would allow you to obtain a higher paying job with benefits. I also feel that because you chose to pop out a kid at 17 instead of join the military or pursue an education others should have to take care of you for the rest of your life. If you want to be paid to have children become a surrogate parent for people that can actually afford them and can afford to pay you to be pregnant.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
I was unaware one need a college degree for that.
i think you have to be ase certified that would account for some kind of education.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb057 View Post
I am 26 have a great paying job that has the best benefits, but i worked my ass off and applied myself to have the job i have today. I dont feel that people like myself and others who applied themselves to achieve more need to carry the weight of those who dont. If you have a crappy 7 dollar an hour job blame yourself for not getting a higher education or skill set that would allow you to obtain a higher paying job with benefits.
Someone has to serve you that burger and fries. Lots of manual labor and unskilled jobs still need to be done.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Someone has to serve you that burger and fries. Lots of manual labor and unskilled jobs still need to be done.
Right it should be a starting point not your primary source of income. Because someone chose to not do anything more with their life should not be my problem nor should we have to support them.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:25 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Problem is that some income means you no longer qualify for many benefits, including medicaid. So, if you work a low-paying job which helps but doesn't make ends meet or give you health benefits, you're screwed because you're not eligible for assistance. So the way the system is set up, you're better off not working at all.

I have a friend who with her husband and partners own a small business. She also had a regular job which allowed her some regular income and health insurance. Her husband ran the business full time, which is surviving but not rolling in $. At 7 months pregnant, she was laid off. She has no health insurance, cobra she'd have to pay out of pocket and the cost is too high. Since their business isn't really making a profit, she qualifies for medicaid. We all discussed her husband getting an outside job (at 7 months pg, the likelihood of her getting hired was small), but it wasn't likely he'd get a job which gave them health benefits fast enough or covering enough for her pregnancy. By not working an outside job, she can get medicaid - and be covered for her birth.

I will never forget a story I heard years ago of a woman in NY - found herself newly divorced, trying to feed/house her 3 kids, no spousal/child support. She temporarily went on welfare/assistance. Wasn't long overall - maybe a year or so, while she managed to get herself back on her feet. Eventually she was able to get a decent job/benefits and go off welfare. Success story yes? Well, since she now had a job, the state wanted her to pay back - not just as in taxes, but in pay back $ for $ since she no longer needed the assistance. She'd have been better off never getting the new job. I think she managed to fight it and win, but she should have been set up as a shining example of why welfare assistance is there - to help people get through a temporary difficult time.

In the current economic climate, this is of special importance. And not everyone earns an income that allows them to save a year's worth of income just for a rainy day. Yes, all should save, but when your monthly paycheck barely covers your expenses - and I don't mean LV purses, I mean food, shelter, healthcare - one month of no pay can force a family managing to get by onto assistance. Unfortunately, the way the system is set up, it rewards those who stay on assistance.
You just validated my position...people should NOT be getting MORE for doing NOTHING than they are for doing SOMETHING!

Old 07-24-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
You just validated my position...people should NOT be getting MORE for doing NOTHING than they are for doing SOMETHING!
Which means changing the system, not tossing it out altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio