Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:43 AM

132 posts, read 285,939 times

Advertisements

Quick synopsis...

We are building a house in Belmont Park in Cibolo....we paid I think it was $3500 to have our exterior upgraded to stone siding. When they finished, there was some left over and they said if we wanted the stone, we had to come move it off the lot before they came to grade the lot and clean it up. So the fiancee and I went out there and moved stone for a good 3-4 hours (moving it from the front and sides and stacking some in the garage and neatly on the back porch so noone driving by would see it) Our soon to be neighbor was out and we talked to him before and after we finished and he knew exactly what we were doing. We come back a few days later, and the huge stack we had on the back porch has been knocked over and routed through, and some is missing, and about half of the stack we had in the garage is gone. So I go upstairs and look out the window, and our neighbor has some nice new planters made out of our stone. I was FIRED up.

Now, I spoke with the super, and he said his hands are kind of tied unless he actually sees them taking the stone, which I understand. I'm not so much pissed about the stone (granted, I had plans for it, and now I really dont think i'm going to have enough to do what I wanted to), i'm just pissed off that we're going to have douche bag neighbors...And I dont yet want to confront him about it because we're trying to meet a tight closing date and I dont want him delaying anything on the house.

So, I was thinking about ways to be an annoying, yet law abiding neighbor and I was wondering, are you allowed to have roosters in Cibolo? Any other creative ideas? hahaha Im not trying to be a jerk, I just have no tolerance for thieves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,787,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkey View Post
Quick synopsis...

We are building a house in Belmont Park in Cibolo....we paid I think it was $3500 to have our exterior upgraded to stone siding. When they finished, there was some left over and they said if we wanted the stone, we had to come move it off the lot before they came to grade the lot and clean it up. So the fiancee and I went out there and moved stone for a good 3-4 hours (moving it from the front and sides and stacking some in the garage and neatly on the back porch so noone driving by would see it) Our soon to be neighbor was out and we talked to him before and after we finished and he knew exactly what we were doing. We come back a few days later, and the huge stack we had on the back porch has been knocked over and routed through, and some is missing, and about half of the stack we had in the garage is gone. So I go upstairs and look out the window, and our neighbor has some nice new planters made out of our stone. I was FIRED up.

Now, I spoke with the super, and he said his hands are kind of tied unless he actually sees them taking the stone, which I understand. I'm not so much pissed about the stone (granted, I had plans for it, and now I really dont think i'm going to have enough to do what I wanted to), i'm just pissed off that we're going to have douche bag neighbors...And I dont yet want to confront him about it because we're trying to meet a tight closing date and I dont want him delaying anything on the house.

So, I was thinking about ways to be an annoying, yet law abiding neighbor and I was wondering, are you allowed to have roosters in Cibolo? Any other creative ideas? hahaha Im not trying to be a jerk, I just have no tolerance for thieves
Just go steal the stone back..that's what I would do. Put it back on your pile.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:08 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,258,959 times
Pffft I'd be knocking on his doors and asking where he got that stone from. I'd be confronting him. I am pissed off for you! Who the hell does he think he is taking your stuff???

Old 03-26-2009, 10:41 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,471,262 times
i know how you feel --- when they were done bricking our house we had almost 2 full stacks left over that the builder said they would move into the garage for us --- well they didn't move it that night and sure enough both stacks were gone --- we were pretty hacked --- granted the builder brought us more brick but not near the full 2 stacks, more like 1/2 a full stack --- we had enough to brick our front porch but now we need to find more brick for planters...

on the flip side, are you sure it's your stone...i know in our neighborhood they have wash out areas where they dump all the left over stone and brick from completed homes when people do not want to keep it --- there are many people that go over to those piles for stone and brick --- unless of course your stone was a unique color or something and you are positive he used your stone --- if so i would confront him but on a casual manner --- maybe say something like "hey, did you happen to notice anyone at our house going thru our stone? half of it is missing and we had plans for it...nice planters by the way" --- that way he knows that you know, know what i mean???

Old 03-26-2009, 11:24 AM

18,048 posts, read 25,100,414 times
Man, I feel bad for you,
not because of the stone, but because that's gonna be your neighbor.

I don't know much about legal stuff,
but I would think that you can claim he stole it and that he has to show proof that he bought it somewhere.

It's not a good idea to revenge, because he could get you back and it'll start a huge fight.

Thanks for sharing this, I'll keep this in mind as my house is being built.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:15 PM

132 posts, read 285,939 times
Thanks guys..

As far as stealing the stone back, its at the top of my list...however, being in pharmacy school, getting in trouble somehow would REALLY not be good for me right now..

And as far as confronting him, Im debating between this and hopping the fence when hes gone and snagging them back haha. But again, I dont really want to start it up with this guy when we're on a tight closing date (Close May 15, fly to FL to get married May 20) lol. so all he has to do if I **** him off is take a hammer or walk into the house and its not hard to mess things up.

Mrstxcop I feel your pain haha...they dont have a lot in our subdivision where they dump everything, as the subdivision is just about finished. Even if there were, this guy is the type that is too lazy to go all the way to wherever its at and load it up and move it. I can almost guarantee he found some masons working on a house across the street, offered them a case of beer to move some rock from our garage/porch and put his planters together. Not to mention, before we moved all that stone, the planters were not there, I've been taking pictures and video almost every trip we've taken out there. The pieces we had in the garage were the ones we saved specifically for the planters we were going to build because they were long and rectangular and not irregular or broken shapes. And coincidently this is where most of the stone was missing from. But the calm confrontation you mentioned is definitely something to consider.

Dopo, I dont know what you can really do about it unless you are at your house constantly, I mean we did all we could..we dont have a fence yet, but we stacked it on the back porch where it is not able to be seen from the road, but apparantley it wasnt quite enough. But good luck! hows the house coming? We just locked in our rate last week..man, awesome feeling! lol..its crazy to see how fast it all comes together. If they've started, I would recommend a private inspector, he has been worth EVERY penny so far. If you want a recommendation for one, shoot me a DM and Ill give you some info.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:26 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,806,172 times
I would make it a point to mention to this person that your property is missing. that the contractor had night security with some information about the suspect. You have 30 or 60 days after closing to file charges, since you can't file charges until you own the property, use that, between you and the contractor sorta thing. Let him know that with the problems with housing and fraud now that they are cracking down on theft from new houses bigtime. Watch him squirm. see what develops. you might get those planters already built back, and an apology. Bluff it just right.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:17 PM

616 posts, read 2,075,750 times
I have to agree with the bluffing approach. Go over there when the neighbor is in the backyard within sight of the planters and make a big to do about how sad you are that your stone got stolen and "gee, I hope this isn't a high crime neighborhood, that would really hurt property values" and "luckily, the builder is very upset, and says his security guards have some good leads". Then, lower the boom: "wow, those are nice planters! Just like the ones we were going to build, before someone stole the stone. Wouldn't it be a shame if the thieves came back and stole them? I hope that doesn't happen to you! We should start a neighborhood watch program."

While you probably won't get any actual justice, you can at least have the small cold comfort of having caused your jackass neighbor some severe indigestion. Also, hey, at least you know what sort of person he is before you moved in. You don't have to bother to be anything more than barely civil to him.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:09 PM

Excellent points,
just go up to the guy and ask him if he's got anything stolen lately
and then start telling him "what you're gonna do"

Old 03-26-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkey View Post
Dopo, I dont know what you can really do about it unless you are at your house constantly, I mean we did all we could..we dont have a fence yet, but we stacked it on the back porch where it is not able to be seen from the road, but apparantley it wasnt quite enough. But good luck! hows the house coming?
They finished the foundation last week and should start working on the frame this weekend.

I'm gonna try to tell them to put the stones in the garage so nobody can take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio