U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-27-2009, 11:17 AM

3,115 posts, read 5,988,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
I just read this story. It made me cry. I really, really don't "get" some people.

I hope they hang the mom
She made national news and it said she was in the hospital, in critical condition, for inflicting stab wounds in her chest. Too bad she didn't finish the job.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:20 AM

2,261 posts, read 3,279,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
I'm sorry I took those puppy pics or that I posted them. I wasn't trying to upset anyone but that pic seems to be all that people are talking about.
I'm sorry I brought it up! I didn't even see that you had posted a puppy pic. That's basically what stands out to me about flea markets here, unfortunately.

I also thought it was weird that you could buy Mary Kay there.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:45 AM

13,805 posts, read 18,364,066 times
I had to comment on a couple things too. Sorry, but those places are something I try to avoid at all costs, but unfortunately my wife loves them..

Begin

BTW, why do people sell animals all over the place here? The intersection of 1604/Potranco is a common place to find them. There are so many animals being destroyed every year and 's continue to buy them.. yeah, that burns me up big time
end

Old 07-27-2009, 12:01 PM

5,560 posts, read 9,228,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I had to comment on a couple things too. Sorry, but those places are something I try to avoid at all costs, but unfortunately my wife loves them..

Begin

BTW, why do people sell animals all over the place here? The intersection of 1604/Potranco is a common place to find them. There are so many animals being destroyed every year and 's continue to buy them.. yeah, that burns me up big time
end

Old 07-27-2009, 12:10 PM

Here's a national story on the woman from San Antonio:

Mother Accused of Beheading Infant at Devil's Request Held on $1M Bail

Mother Accused of Beheading Infant at Devil's Request Held on $1M Bail - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Old 07-27-2009, 12:18 PM

5,560 posts, read 9,228,119 times
Yea, embarrassing for Texans (again, remember Yates?). We also had a mother do this in Brownsville recently. I don't know whether this is a problem in other states, but it seems unusually high in Texas.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:34 PM

Anthony, I was searching for your weather thread but couldn't find it. I'll pose the question here. Have we reached the record for 100 degree days in SA? I think we are about 2 or 3 short. I see this year as having at least 50 days and possibly 60 days of 100 degrees. What say you?

Old 07-27-2009, 01:05 PM

4,794 posts, read 9,831,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marfa View Post
It really has nothing to do with political correctness, but rather eliminating racist stereotypes which until not too long ago were considered normal and acceptable. Such stereotypes perpetuate the notion of some that people of Mexican descent are prone to crime (Frito Bandito), lazy (Mexican siesta statue), stupid/lazy (Slowpoke Rodriquez), have too many relatives, are against white people, and reek havoc upon society (all portrayed on the Speedy Gonzalez cartoon), etc... Think about it. Would you like to frequently see statues of toothless, pregnant white women sporting tattoos, smoking, and drinking beer outside of a trailer? Would you like to frequently see statues of dirty-looking, beer-bellied white men in dingy muscle shirts driving beat-up old pick-up trucks with Confederate flags in the back window, or watching Nascar on a television outside of a dilapidated trailer with beer cans strewn across a dirt lawn? That is a false, racist stereotype about whites. Or how about another false, racist stereotype concerning whites "all" being racist and elitist? What about a statue of a rich white couple with their noses in the air while they step on the back of a poor black or Latino person? Would you find it merely "politically correct" to complain about those statues? Or, would you find it genuinely offensive to see them displayed throughout your community?
Obviously the list of things you mentioned are distasteful and ugly. But this statue is made in MEXICO. And it isn't a nasty, beer bellied racist depiction of a Mexican. Your analogy is quite the stretch. It's too bad that people don't know their history and that "siestas" were out of survival in the blazing heat at the hottest part of the day. A little digging into other cultures in hot climates would find similar cultural traditions. It's just a quaint little statue made in Mexico by Mexicans. IF it is so offensive, then someone needs to clue in the people making them that they are perpetuating a very UN PC stereotype according to you.

Personally, I don't like any kind of lawn ornaments, whether they be Mexican statues of any kind, roaming gnomes, pink flamingos or pinwheel daisies. I prefer natural rock formations, plants and water features like fountains. This particular couple is fun and likes folk art, whimsy and creativity. I'm sorry they apparently can't have that because certain people want to stretch something innocent into some statement of hatred.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:15 PM

13,805 posts, read 18,364,066 times
you summed it up perfect in your last couple words wCat and I would leave it at that.
There are a lot of not so bright people in the world that mistakenly believe they are actually intelligent. The worst part is they usually love to make their lack of intelligence known to anyone that will listen and that is why it is best to just ignore them and know that eventually they will die

and now time for a BOGO JJ cupin Jamba Juice Buy 1 get 1 Free!

Old 07-27-2009, 02:28 PM

604 posts, read 960,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Hmmmm, never thought about listening to it on radio. I do enjoy the Spurs that way....it seems like baseball would still be a little slow, though, isn't it? "The batter stepped up to the plate...he's taking a few practice swings....guy on first base tries to steal....pitcher throws ball to first baseman.....player is safe..crowd boos....pitcher adjusts his junk....LOL....batter swings, and a miss!.....zzzzzzzz." Repeat till the ball has been hit outta the park twice (only in the wrong direction ) and there has been 2 bunt attempts. (which for the life of me doesn't make any sense....but I'll keep going to the games till I figure that whole bunting thing out. It always seems like a big fat fail.)

I guess I shouldn't knock the radio thing till I've tried it.

I have a huge fear of the dentist- for years what I have done is imagine watching a baseball game in my head and listening to the play by play given......its soooo boring that it relaxes me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio