Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 03:16 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times

Advertisements

Aviano is a large air base and many flights originate there. The article mentioned a previous episode with toxic shock syndrome, which is something I do not know very much about. I do remember a kid near SA died from complications of that and one of the flu viruses going around, or at least I think I remember something like that..
as far as believing something I got in my e-mail, I wouldn't.. I just got one this morning from one of my mentees about exploding Pyrex pans. Mostly BS just like a lot of the e-mails I get.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:49 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
How far into West Texas?

Here's a pic I took between Junction and Harper which is still part of the Hill Country:
Thats a funny pic. Wonder if that was a booboo or a trap? LMAO!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:02 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
[quote=catriona;11294640]Did anyone get an email regarding the Texas legislature trying to impose a property tax via three amendments November? It stated that the property tax you are now paying is a county tax. This new state tax would be an additional tax.

Quote:
On November 3rd, there will be Propositions 1, 2, and 3 allowing the State of Texas to start taxing Residential Homeowners. So if you own a home, and these laws are passed, you will be taxed by the State.

PLEASE VOTE "NO" to Prop. 2 and 3 (HJR 36)
unless you want to pay taxes to the State also.

Proposition 2: The proposed amendment would appear on the ballot as follows: "The constitutional amendment authorizing the legislature to provide for the ad valor em taxation of a residence homestead solely on the basis of the property's value as a residence homestead".

Proposition 3: The proposed amendment would appear on the ballot as follows: "The constitutional amendment providing the
uniform standards and procedures for the appraisal of
property for ad valor em tax purposes".

Please read the other propositions. The link below will take you to the Texas Secretary of State "Elections and Voter Information" site where you can get an update on all 11 propositions that will be on the November 3 ballot.

Explanatory Statements for the November 3rd, 2009 Constitutional Amendment Election (http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/voter/2009novballotexp.shtml - broken link)[\quote]
Hi Cat from Cat! Thanks for this info. I cannot imagine the squabbling that will take place over this. It just needs to happen BEFORE it's voted in. (not here..of course! )Thanks for getting it out. Did you post it in the general Texas forum too? Austin Dallas Houston...they all will not be happy.

There were a couple of other HJR's that were a little debatable.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:26 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
RD, for you...

Cheers! M2

Quote:
Why I Carry a Gun

- I don't carry a gun to kill people, I carry a gun to keep from being killed.
- I don't carry a gun to scare people, I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.
- I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid, I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.
- I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.
- I don't carry a gun because I hate the government I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.
- I don't carry a gun because I'm angry, I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life being angry at myself for failing to be prepared.
- I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone, I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.
- I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy, I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a Cowboy.
- I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man, I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.
- I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate, I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.
- I don't carry a gun because I love it, I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

- Bottom line, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'!

Last edited by majormadmax; 10-22-2009 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: speelin'!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:44 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Aviano is a large air base and many flights originate there. The article mentioned a previous episode with toxic shock syndrome, which is something I do not know very much about. I do remember a kid near SA died from complications of that and one of the flu viruses going around, or at least I think I remember something like that..
Agreed, I've been to Aviano AB numerous times and it isn't a dangerous place. "Found dead" doesn't always equate to criminal activity, but the Stars & Stripes newspaper article (see page 9) did report she had a large contusion to her face; but added it may have been the result of a fall. The article also noted that it did not appear that she had been hit by a train (she was found near a station).

Either way, it is a sad event and if it was the result of someone's actions, I hope the authorities quickly find them and hold them accountable.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Thats a funny pic. Wonder if that was a booboo or a trap? LMAO!
LOL....TTG...I had to go back and look again. (note to Cat..don't read or type without contacts...again).

Nick...you are so funny. I probably wouldn't have even noticed that on the highway!

Old 10-22-2009, 11:02 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,700 times
hey, out of curiousity...anyone else being invaded by snails? And I mean the slimy ones with the cone shell on their back and antennas on top of their head. They are turning up everywhere in my yard...climbing up by doors. Seriously, if it's not one bug, it's another. Just point me to the state line...

Old 10-22-2009, 11:06 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
hey, out of curiousity...anyone else being invaded by snails? And I mean the slimy ones with the cone shell on their back and antennas on top of their head. They are turning up everywhere in my yard...climbing up by doors. Seriously, if it's not one bug, it's another. Just point me to the state line...
Eat them along with some parsley butter. Have to be alive when cooked though.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:09 AM

Escargot, YUM!

Old 10-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
Seriously, if it's not one bug, it's another. Just point me to the state line...
You'll be glad you're here in January when you can go outside in short sleeves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio