Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2010, 10:28 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasa101 View Post
hey guys, I just have to ask your opinion on this. Our backyard is sloped towards our house, so when it rains the rain runs down beside our house ( and our neighbors yard) and out into the front yard. It creates quite a stream. The side of our house is mud, one reason is it is shaded so the grass isnt going to grow there and we have a dog, ssoooo my neighbor feels like the mud that is washing into his yard is our fault and that we should put some edging under the fence and sod his yard ( just the side next to the house) what is your opinion?
Tell him to pound salt and install his own edging if that's what he wants.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:28 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,288,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Go ride those river walk boats and you just may get to ride the entire downtown area!
I went out despite the weather and had a great time. I did not however ride a riverwalk boat.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:16 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
I think it's supposed to be sloped so the water funnels to the street where it can be transferred to the main drainage, or at least that's how mine works. This is how it rains in Texas, so your neighbor needs to get a clue and suck it up. If you want a nice yard, you have to move to a nice state.

my wife said the mall was packed with shoppers yesterday, so obviously the rain didn't stop many.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:08 AM

604 posts, read 1,530,091 times
Rd - thats what I have been saying; it is supposed to slope to run the water where it needs to go, but his argument is that if we didnt have a dog that prevents the grass from growing on that side then there would not be so much mud.
granted we do have a dog,but this is the same side of the house that has the aircondition unit and also gets no sun at all, so I do think a lot of grass would grow there anyway. I think he just happened to pick the wrong lot.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:12 AM

The dog goes on his property? That would obviously be an issue, but if his lack of grass is from a lack of sun, then he's your typical SA resident...

I asked the builder why they sloped the yard like they did and he told me they have to, so I'd recommend finding someone that can tell your neighbor the same thing.

I'm pretty good with Google http://www.structuralsciences.com/?p...use-and-repair

Old 04-18-2010, 11:47 AM

New favorite movie quote: "Why are you screaming? I haven't even cut you yet.."

A Nightmare On Elm Street - In Theaters April 30

I'm going to have faith in Michael Bay on this one because he did a great job with his Friday the 13th. It'll be hard to accept a new Freddy, though.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:50 AM

905 posts, read 2,958,421 times
Quote:
hey guys, I just have to ask your opinion on this. Our backyard is sloped towards our house, so when it rains the rain runs down beside our house ( and our neighbors yard) and out into the front yard. It creates quite a stream. The side of our house is mud, one reason is it is shaded so the grass isnt going to grow there and we have a dog, ssoooo my neighbor feels like the mud that is washing into his yard is our fault and that we should put some edging under the fence and sod his yard ( just the side next to the house) what is your opinion?
We have the same issue with our home. The water drains down the fence line and out into the street. We have never had an issue with our neighbor over it. We do have grass growing there, so we don't have the mud problem, but the silt and leaves and stuff from the rest of the yard does run down by the fence line and sometimes under the fence into the neighbors. That area of their yard floods just like ours does, sometimes ankle deep, but it does run off. On their side of the fence they have decking and I believe some kind of pea gravel. It's nicely landscaped, so the water doesn't appear to be an issue.

Not knowing what the layout of your yard is or if the dog hangs out on that side all the time, it's hard to say what you could do about not having any grass. If you could cut back any trees to let more light in, you may get grass to grow. If it shaded due to fences/houses being in the way, then you could ask a landscaper - there are a few on CD - what you could do to help out with the mud issue. They may have some simple suggestions that will solve your problem. At any rate, I'd just do what you need to in order to solve your problem in your yard.

However - your neighbor needs to just suck it up and do something himself. Asking you to sod his yard and put up edging is just plain ridiculous. Blaming it on the dog is asinine. Sounds like you just have a lazy jerk for a neighbor. Put up edging if you want it there. Or better yet, inform him you're putting in a french drain and fancy landscaping and half of the bill will be his.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:07 PM

or just buy him a copy of Lakeview Terrace..

Old 04-18-2010, 12:16 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Nicole....I would ignore your neighbor if you can help it. If you want some suggestions for you, since your yard is muddy there and can't grow much, you might want to make a "french drain" along that side of the house. It's basically laying heavy gravel that won't wash away. Depending on the layout, there are a few shrubs and heavy duty plants that grow in the shade that you might be able to work in that area....that is if it needs it.

It sounds to me that if your back yard slopes down toward your house, your next door neighbors yard might do the same. Tell him to take it up with mother nature....

Old 04-18-2010, 12:21 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
EEewwwww that #1 combo from Grady's SUUUUUUUUUUUCKS. Damn.

I'm on suicide watch.
Aw...Nick...I feel for you. I'm not a Grady's fan. The one and only time I've been there I think I won the jack-pot of the worst meal I've ever had. I do know people that love them, however. Maybe you hit them on a bad day?

No suicide allowed. Call 1-800-JIM-DANDY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio