Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 05:58 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,368,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
you honestly cannot compare anything from 91 years ago with today.. unless you're talking a recipe or something like that. We are SO much more advanced today than we were 9 years ago and it grows exponentially with every passing year. the only exceptions to that are certain people in certain areas of the world with certain beliefs.
the news today had me wishing they would test out something stupid, just to see how many people believed it. You could basically get at least half of all people to do anything right now and that is a freaking shame.
Where in my post did you see where I was comparing the swine flu with the influenza outbreak of 1918? I was merely stating that "flu kills!" The fact that influenza killed more people than WWI did is a testamonial to that fact! This is an outbreak no matter how you roll the dice! If it was one or even several cases--the government would NOT release stockpiles of tamiflu! It is good that people are sitting up and paying attention to this flu. It has already affected 5 states....certainly not an epidemic or pandemic, but one to pay attention to.

They are being PROACTIVE in releasing the tamiflu so a pandemic (as in 1918) does NOT occur like I said in my post!

Back in the early 1900's, tamiflu didn't exist! We didn't have the antibiotics that we do today to fight off bacterias. That is the reason why so many people perished in 1918. The government could sit back and do nothing!

Old 04-28-2009, 06:11 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,383,829 times
ok, no more posting in the swine flu thread for me. a lot of people have obviously lost their minds and are no longer even thinking..

where's the South Park episode?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:17 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,788,317 times
Uhh... the flu is viral. Antibiotics and bacteria aren't a factor unless an infection comes after the person is weakened.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:42 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,383,829 times
there will be no logic when it comes to this swine flu thing! we need more hype and plenty of misinformation and panic..

BTW, if you want something local to worry about, read this: Update: Police say former student who made threat wanted revenge | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News
luckily we don't have to worry about it now because at least a few people weren't running around screaming about swine flu.. and it's disgusting that something that big only accounted for about a minute of the local news I saw on KENS this evening. It was sandwiched in between about 15 minutes of swine flu fever

Old 04-28-2009, 06:44 PM

I know that flu is viral...I should have edited my statement about "that is why so many people perished in 1918...." But I didn't, bad on me. The fact I am trying to get across is that flu kills and an outbreak in 5 different states is not something to snicker at.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:46 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,448,856 times
From what I understand, the biggest threat with this is the acute respiratory distress with those that have life threatening complications from having caught this strain.

That has the potential to become HUGE because in Mexico, many of the sick have required vents. Any given hospital has a certain number of vents and that is it. They are not like packages of Tamiflu that can be produced and distributed to the public for use. Hopefully we do not need to worry about this, but it is a major concern.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:49 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
TexasGirl....it's not going to "hit home" until it hits home. When they're worshiping the porcelain god and leaking out of every orifice, and it hurts to blink, maybe then they'll realize it sucks. It's easy to sit here and mock the ones that ARE sick, or have been sick, or just plain don't want to get sick.

And, it's funny how the gov't workers are the least trustful of their own gov't. Just keep sendin' those paychecks.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:18 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,209,779 times
Quote:
you honestly cannot compare anything from 91 years ago with today.. unless you're talking a recipe or something like that. We are SO much more advanced today than we were 9 years ago and it grows exponentially with every passing year. the only exceptions to that are certain people in certain areas of the world with certain beliefs.
the news today had me wishing they would test out something stupid, just to see how many people believed it. You could basically get at least half of all people to do anything right now and that is a freaking shame.
Oh, I don't know about that. We certainly haven't found a cure for the flu. Treatments, yes. Not a cure.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
there will be no logic when it comes to this swine flu thing! we need more hype and plenty of misinformation and panic..
I'm so glad that I have no worries when traveling to Texas at the end of the month--thanks to all the "experts" here on C-D.com, I can rest assured that I will not contract swine flu.

Those silly people in Atlanta at CDC--they have NO idea what they are talking about--forget about all their degrees and medical expertise--here on C-D.com, the true experts live!

Old 04-28-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
TexasGirl....it's not going to "hit home" until it hits home. When they're worshiping the porcelain god and leaking out of every orifice, and it hurts to blink, maybe then they'll realize it sucks. It's easy to sit here and mock the ones that ARE sick, or have been sick, or just plain don't want to get sick.

And, it's funny how the gov't workers are the least trustful of their own gov't. Just keep sendin' those paychecks.
Exactly--burying their heads in the sand as usual! That's all they know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio