Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:12 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
In many cases with insurance, this is probably true. Another way big insurance companies are dictating to us how and when we should be sick. grrrr...

However, anyone that has digestive disorders at all could most likely qualify if they talk to their doctor. Don't wait for the doctor to recommend it! If a patient is diagnosed with IBS, it's sort of like diagnosing a "headache". It's a catch all diagnosis for GI problems. IBS symptoms can define almost any serious digestive disorder. If anyone has chronic IBS, that would warrant a good "look see"! Ask/request to have one.

Also family history is VERY important to know. Ask about aunts, uncles, grandparents, siblings....etc. That would also encourage a doctor to order testing.
Yes, that's why I said "if your doc thinks it's medically necessary".......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 08:13 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Yes, that's why I said "if your doc thinks it's medically necessary".......
Sorry...I was being redundant.....it's just important to ask the doc....not wait for him/her.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:22 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Sorry...I was being redundant.....it's just important to ask the doc....not wait for him/her.
It's all good...........the more info, the better, in this case! Awareness, awareness, and more awareness!

Old 03-28-2009, 06:25 PM

434 posts, read 1,123,312 times
As a colon cancer survivor of almost 11 years, I have to say that whatever you can do for prevention, and early detection is the key. I never would have, in a million years thought I would be a victim of this disease. I was working a full time day job, plus we had a business that I assisted in, and I just thought that my fatigue and other symptoms that I was experiencing were from burning the candle at both ends. It was not until I was driving home from Erie PA to my home on Chautauqua Lake NY that I had to stop because I was in no shape to drive any further.

To make the long story short, it was discovered that I had colon cancer. I had a resection done in Buffalo NY. No kemo was needed. I have followed up religiously over the years, and thankfully I am cancer free.

Please make it a priority to have the needed tests if you have a family history or are in the age group where you should be concerned.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:54 AM

66 posts, read 166,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Aww dont' feel so bad. I am in the same situation as you..I have it the other way, though. I have to do endoscopies (sp?) every 3 years because my esophagus has a pre-cancerous stage from all the heartburn I've had since a kid. So, big bulky video camera goes down my throat every 3 years.
My Dad just found out he has Esophagus cancer. He has been having acid reflux/heartburn for years. His last scope was 2 years ago, and just found out with a scope two weeks ago. If you have cronic acid reflux and are over 30, you should think about getting your esophagus scoped. My father is 74. It is fairly treatable in it's early stage. It's main cause if smoking. My dad smoked for 50 years and quit 10 years ago. If you smoke, quit. If you are young, don't start. Good advice.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:29 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Are headaches a sign of colon cancer? A close relative nearly fainted today and was suddenly very tired. They took him to the hospital and he underwent an MRI and many other tests but said he was ok?, which doesnt sound right because something has to be wrong. People dont just faint for no reason. And he has sudden headaches sometimes when he gets up from a bed. He's going to a doctor to get more tests, but I wonder if I should head him in this direction.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:32 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,155 times
that i know of headaches are not a symptom of colon cancer --- signs would be more along the lines of bleeding from the back end, fatigue, unexplained weight loss, constipation...etc...symptoms would be those usually associated with intestinal upset...

Old 03-31-2009, 04:17 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Are headaches a sign of colon cancer? A close relative nearly fainted today and was suddenly very tired. They took him to the hospital and he underwent an MRI and many other tests but said he was ok?, which doesnt sound right because something has to be wrong. People dont just faint for no reason. And he has sudden headaches sometimes when he gets up from a bed. He's going to a doctor to get more tests, but I wonder if I should head him in this direction.
T....I'm not a nurse...but headaches tend to be more vascular related. On a very basic level....when I get a headache, it's generally because I'm dehydrated. I'll drink an 8oz glass of water and within 20 minutes my head feels much better. But again....very simple...

Not knowing your friends age and history (and not asking), fainting is never a good sign....but not always serious. It would be a good idea for him to get a complete physical....and if he's between the ages of 40 and 50, a colonoscopy might be helpful. Try to avoid the "C" word.....as there are other colon issues that might cause dehydration and other symptoms as MrsTC mentioned.

The main point in Colon Health awareness is that so many people think cancer is the only serious issue in which to be concerned. And then "serious" often means something that possibly could have been avoided with good preventive health care. Good luck to your friend. Hope he finds out what may be causing this problem.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:33 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Okay, thanks mrstxcop and wcat , that eases my mind a lot.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,049 times
Nice post, it is true that nowadays, we should take extra care for our health. Being watchful in our diet can help us fight colon cancer and diseases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio